Of the Drunk person
Of the Drunk person is a group of Hip-hop coming from Long Island, New York. They are known for the influence which they had on the rise of the Jazz rap thanks to their samples as strange as various and with their lyrics sometimes surreal. The group is composed of Kelvin " Posdnuos" Mercer, David Jude " Trugoy the Dove" Jolicœur and Vincent " Pasemaster Mase" Mason.
GenesisAt the end of the Eighties the new generation of the rap directs towards radical texts and an aggressive music. Posdnuos, Trugoy The Dove and Pace master Mase grew with Brooklyn and in the Bronx, in 1987 they are all 3 high-school pupils with Long Island and form an alternative group of rap: Of the Drunk person was born.
They record in 1988 a first model “ Plug Tunin' ”, then in 1989 with the assistance of the producing DJ Prince Paul their first album: 3 Feet High And Rising whose small pocket represents the 3 musicians in a variegated universe. The style of the trio is daring and slices openly with the " Gangsta rap " and its musical codes. The samples of Drunk person draw from musical universes until there little used by Hip Hop, those of pop, the jazz, the psychedelic music and the folk. The words approach with humor and imagination of the topics far away from the street and the ghetto, like the love and peace while being claiming. The appropriate dresses of the trio do not respect either conventions of the rap, the members of the raising group of the shirts with flowers. The group proclaims the old D.A.I.S.Y, (era of the daisy) in reference to the acronym “DA Inner Sound, Y' all”. They integrate quickly the Zulu Nation. At the sides of the Jungle Brothers, of has Tribe Called Quest, Queen Latifah, Busta Rhymes or Black Sheep, Of the Drunk person is among the leaders of the collective of rappeurs Native Tongues which asserts this merry and positive musical step. Success is immense and their notoriety quickly becomes international.
Of the Drunk person Is DeadUndoubtedly exceeded a little by their media image of néo-hippies the group leaves in 1991 a second darker album and in rupture with the precedent: Of the Drunk person Is Dead . The cover representing a pot of flower broken as well as the title of the album shows the will of the group well to break with this reputation which they did not know to control. Although he is regarded today as the best album of the group, this second opus was not as well sold as the first at the time of his exit.
In 1993 leaves a third album the name of Buhloone Mindstate recorded with the copper section of James Brown the J.B Horns. This album shows the evolution of the group towards a new sound and solidified their position within the alternate rap. It meets a critical success of the fans for the work provided on this album but the sales were weaker than that of Of the Drunk person Is Dead . Mc Shortie No Farmhouse is present on many songs of the album as well as the cousin of Posdnuos. Several pieces of the album prove that the group matured while stopping making the errors of the past, in particular due to the deterioration of the Native Tongues. The album includes/understands various collaborations like that of legendary the Maceo Parker on " I Be Blowin'" or that of the group of rap Japanese Scha Dara Parr on " Length Island Wildin'" . The first individual " Breakadawn" is made with a sample song " I Can' T Help It" of Michael Jackson. The album finishes on a featuring with Biz Markie on " Stone Age." the same year, they take part in B.O. film Judgment Night with the rock group Teenage Fanclub.
In 1994, 500 copies of a EP of the name of Clearlake Audiotorium leave out of vinyl and CD. It contains new versions of the preceding album but also of collaborations with Tribe Called Quest has on " Sh.Fe.MC' s" (Shocking Female MC' S) and of the artists Old School like Grandmaster Caz, Tito off Fearless Furnace, Whipper Whip, Sashae and Superstar on " Stix & Stonz" .
De Tommy Servant boy in Santuary RecordIn 1996 leaves the album Stakes Is High . Exclusively produced by the trio for the first time, it meets critics mitigated and weak sales. The first individual one will not leave a memorable trace but the album made it possible to launch in the great bath the future actor and rappor Mos Def on the title " Big Brother Beat" . Common belongs to the others featurings notable of the album.
Four years rained late, Of the Drunk person announces that they will carry out a series of three albums entitled " Art Official Intelligence" (AOI). This trilogy starts with the album AOI: Mosaic Thump in 2000 followed AOI: Bionix one year later. During the two following years, the group leaves individual and the best-of. The last and third AOI will never be born because of problems with their label Tommy Boy Records, which will put an end to the adventure with the label which had very left their albums since their beginnings.
In 2004 leaves a new album: The Grind Dates on Sanctuary Records. Although it is not about the third AOI until waited the fans, this one was rather well accommodated by the fans and the critics. The album contains collaborations with Ghostface Killah, MF Doom and Flava Flav and of the productions of Madlib inter alia.
Recent current eventsIn 2005 they carry out a featuring with Gorillaz on their planetary tube Feel Good Inc which will obtain the Grammy better pop collaboration They also collaborate with a Portuguese rappor - Boss AC - on the title " Yo (Não Brinques COM Esta Merda) " .
In 2006, they found their label AOI Records and leave a mixtape entitled " Impossible The Mission" . The June 4th, Vincent Mason is hospitalized for problems of liver which the doctors allot to hepatitis whose they do not know the cause.
- 3 Feet High and Rising , 1989 (Tommy Servant boy Records) ( disc of platinum )
- Of the Drunk person Is Dead , 1991 (Tommy Servant boy Records) ( disc of gold )
- Buhloone Mindstate , 1993 (Tommy Servant boy Records)
- Clearlake Audiotorium (EP) , 1994 (Tommy Servant boy Records)
- Stakes Is High , 1996 (Tommy Servant boy Records)
- Art Official Intelligence: Mosaic Thump , 2000 (Tommy Servant boy Records)
- , 2001 (Tommy Servant boy Records)
- Live At Tramps, NYC, 1996 , 2004 (Rhino)
- The Grind Dates , 2004 (Sanctuary Records)
- The Impossible Mission , 2006 (AOI)
- Timeless: The Individual Collection , 2001 (Rhino)
- Of the Mix Slap: Remixes, Rarities and Classics , 2004 (Rhino)
- "Me Myself and I" , 1989 - #22 the U.K.
- " Say No Go" , 1989 - #19 the U.K.
- " Eye Know" , 1989 - #14 the U.K.
- " The Magic Number" /" Buddy" , 1989 - #7 the U.K.
- " Mamma Gave Birth To The Drunk Children" (with Queen Latifah), 1990 - #14 the U.K.
- " Boxing ring Boxing ring Boxing ring (ha ha Hey) " , 1991 - #10 the U.K.
- " In Roller Skating Jam Named Saturdays" , 1991 - #22 the U.K.
- " Keepin' The Faith" , 1991 - #50 the U.K.
- " Breakadawn" , 1993 - #39 the U.K.
- " Stakes Is High" , 1996 - #55 the U.K.
- " 4 More" (featuring Zhane), 1997 - #52 the U.K.
- " Oooh" (featuring Redman), 2000 - #29 the U.K.
- " It ain' T all good" (featuring Chaka Khan), 2000 - US #99, #33 the U.K.
- " Phat" baby; (featuring E. Yummy Bingham), 2002 - #55 the U.K.
- " Bags" shopping; 2004
- "Feel Good Inc." (Gorillaz featuring Of the Drunk person), 2005 - US #14, #2 the U.K.
- Words of Drunk person
|Random links:||Tetsuya Nomura | Laflor and the Theaters Amiénois de Cabotins | Sherwood Bailey | Cross from Belgium of football 1994-1995 | Match of stars of the major League of baseball 1990 | Joseph_Hume|