The October 20th is the 293e Jour of the Année (294e in the event of Leap year) of the Gregorian Calendrier. There remain 72 days before the end of the year.
1 to 1900
- 1715 : Jacques François Léonor Goyon of Matignon, lord de Matignon, duke of Valentinois, Even of France, married Louise Grimaldi, oldest daughter of Antoine II of Monaco, prince de Monaco, with the condition of taking, him and its successors, the name and the weapons of the Grimaldi, those not having a male child able to succeed prince Antoine.
- 1740 : The death of the Germanic emperor Charles VI of Habsbourg without male heir opens the War of succession of Austria.
- 1805 : Victoire of Napoleon to Ulm, the army of the Austrian general Mack is made captive.
- 1823 : With Madrid (Spain), alternate of Castling Miranda Cop known as “Rigores”, Spanish Matador.
- 1844 : The concession of the line of Railroad Amiens - Boulogne is allocated to Misters Charles Laffite, Blount & Co, for 98 years and 11 months, with their expenses, risks and dangers, in the name of the Railroad company of Amiens-Boulogne , with the capital of 37.500.000 francs.
- 1897 : The king of Korea proclaims emperor, the Russia and the Japan intervenes.
- 1921 : Divide High-Silesia by SDN, between the Germany and the Poland.
- 1944 : The Filipino are invaded by the American armed forces of the general Douglas MacArthur.
- 1945 : The Egypt, the Iraq, the Syria and the Lebanon inform the the United States that the creation of a Jewish State could lead to a war with the the Middle East.
- 1952 : Proclamation of the State of emergency to the Kenya.
- 1962 : The Chinese launch an offensive against Indian frontier positions in the the Himalayas.
- 1968 : Jacqueline Kennedy and Aristote Onassis marries in the island of Scorpios, property of the Greek ship-owner.
- 1977 : The civil government inhabitant of Thailand is reversed, without bloodshed, by the military junta which had installed it with the capacity, one year earlier.
- 1986 : Yitzhak Shamir, Israeli Minister for the Foreign affairs, and Shimon Peres, Prime Minister, carries out an exchange of wallets.
- 1988 : Election of Andrei Sakharov with the presidium of the Soviet Academy of Science.
- 1994 : Mohamed Dib receives the Grand Prix of the Francophonie.
- 1996 : The White Marche gathers 350.000 people with Brussels. It makes become aware of the enormous doubt felt by the Belgian people towards the authorities of the country.
- 2000 : A pulmonary valve is established on a 12 year old child without opening free its Rib cage, first world successful by a team of doctors - German.
2002 : The Iraqi government announces a Amnistie for all the prisoners of the country, in thanks with the people for his support for the mode.
- 2003 :
- Four tobacconists out of five are in strike on the whole of the territory to protest against the successive rises of the taxes on the cigarettes, whose last of this day is of 20%.
- an big operation of taking away intended to feed the national Fichier automated of the genetic prints (FNAEG) is led for the first time on 1.300 prisoners in four French prisons.
- 2004 : The typhoon Tokage, most fatal with the Japan since 1988, makes at least 79 dead and 10 missings in the south and the center of the country.
- 2005 :
- a report/ratio of investigation of the the United Nations on the assassination of Rafic Hariri concludes with an at the same time Syrian and Lebanese nearly certain implication.
- Seven French mountaineers and eight Nepalese carriers and sherpas are reported missing after strong snowfalls in the Himalayan chain, in the North-West of Nepal.
- Birth of the local chain Télégrenoble.
- 1632 : Sir Christopher Wren, mathematician and architect English († February 25th 1723)
- 1670: Abraham Davel, soldier and patriotic Of Vaud († April 24th 1723)
- 1677: Stanislas Leszczyński, king of Poland († February 23rd 1766)
- 1753: Jean-Jacques-Governed of Cambacérès, French politician
- 1829: Henri Bazin, French hydraulician
- 1859: John Dewey, American philosopher
- 1866: Kazimierz Twardowski, philosopher Polish († February 11th 1938)
- 1872: Hassine Bouhageb, doctor, teacher and promoter of the sport Tunisia N († March 13rd 1946)
- 1874: Charles Ives, American type-setter
- 1890: Jello Roll Morton, pianist and singer of American jazz
- 1891: James Chadwick, British physicist
- 1894: Henryk Berlewi, painter and draftsman Polish († August 2nd 1967)
- 1917: Jean-Pierre Melville, French scenario writer
- 1919: Andre Pousse, actor and cyclist French
- 1925: Roger Hanin, French actor
- 1935: Jerry Orbach, American actor
- 1937: Wanda Jackson, American singer of rock'n'roll
- 1939: Daniel Prévost, actor and humorist French
- 1942: Christiane Nüsslein-Volhard, genetician, Nobel Prize of physiology 1995
- 1944: William Albright, American type-setter. († 1998)
- 1946: Elfriede Jelinek, Austrian novelist , Nobel Prize of literature 2004
- 1956: Danny Boyle, British realizer
- 1958: Viggo Mortensen, actor poet, American artist
- 1963: Julie Payette, Canadian astronaut
- 1970: Frederique Courtadon, French TV host
- 1971: Snoop Dogg, American rappor
- 1982: Jose Acasuso, Argentinian tennis player
- 31: Apicata, former wife of Séjan, commits suicide after having seen his/her children carried out on order of the senate.
- 1645 : François Sublet de Noyers, which was Secretary of State to the war and superintendent of the buildings of France (° 1588)
- 1740: Charles VI of Habsbourg, Germanic emperor (° October 1st 1685)
- 1864: Carl Christian Rafn, Danish archeologist (° January 16th 1795)
- 1888: Nikolai Przhevalsky, exploring Russian (° April 12th 1839)
- 1896: Felix Tisserand, French astronomer (° January 13rd 1845)
- 1972: Harlow Shapley, American astrophysicist (° November 2nd 1885)
- 1984: Paul Dirac, British physicist (° August 8th 1902)
- 1987: Andrei Kolmogorov, Soviet mathematician (° April 25th 1903)
- 1988: Sheila Scott, aviatrice, British first to accomplish a flight as a recluse around the world (° April 27th 1927)
- 1990: Joel McCrea, American actor (° November 5th 1905)
- 1994: Burt Lancaster, American actor (° November 2nd 1913)
- 1997: Rene-Lucien Picandet, 122e bishop of Orleans French (born the December 14th 1931)
- 2002: Bernard Fresson, actor French (born the May 27th 1931)
- Jean-Michel Folon, painter and sculptor (° March 1st 1934)
- Shirley Horn, singer and pianist of jazz étatsunienne (° May 1st 1934)
- 2007: Paul Raven, Bass player of Killing Joke, Prong and Ministry (born the January 16th 1961).
Catholic saints of the day
- Holy Adeline : First abbess of the founded monastery of bénédictines with Mortain, the diocese of Coutances, in the English Channel, by the count Guillaume de Mortain about 1110. His/her brother was the abbot of Savigny, which became happy Vital. She died about 1125 in her monastery of the white Ladies. Béatifiée.
Beats-smg: Spalė 20 Be-X-old: 20 кастрычніка Fiu-vro: 20. rehekuu päiv Nds-nl: 20 oktober Simple: October 20 Zh-yue: 10 月 20 號
|Random links:||Road to Graceland | Jean-Jacques Quesnot of Chênée | I am not a monster | Nicolas Bonnal (writer) | Season 1993 of the gold helmet|