The Novempopulanie or Aquitania novempopulana , known as also Aquitaine IIIe is a Roman province of the diocese of Gaules. It comes from the administrative division of large the Gaulle Aquitaine in three parts all attached to the prefecture of the court of Gaules:
- the Aquitanian first in the east (Massif Central and Berry),
- the Aquitaine second on the Atlantic facade enters the mouth of the the Gironde and the the Loire (Charentes and Poitou),
- Novempopulanie (between the Garonne and the Pyrenees).
Continuatrice of the Aquitanian history, its name refers to the nine people which composed it.
These nine recognized people as such were:
- the Tarbelles ( Tarbelli ) of the Basque coast to the Chalosse ( Aquae Tarbellicae > Dax, 40)
- the Ausques ( Auscii ) of the Gers (department) ( Eliumberrum MOD. Auch, 32)
- the Biguerres ( Bigerri or Bigerriones ) of Bigorre ( Turba > Tarbes, 65)
- the Convènes ( Convenae ) of the Comminges ( Lugdunum MOD. Saint-Bertrand-with-Comminges, 31)
- the Consorans ( Consorani ) of the Couserans (Saint-Lizier, 09)
- the Lactorates of Lomagne ( Lactora > Lectoure, 32)
- the Elusates of low Armagnac ( Elusa > Eauze, 32)
- the Vasates (= Vassei = Vocates ?) south-east of Gironde or Bazadais ( Cossium MOD. Bazas, 33)
- the Boïates (or Boii ) of the Country of Buch ( Lamothe close to the Teich, 33)
It will be noted that is of Lomagne was at the time Roman controls by the Volques Tectosages of the Narbonnaise.
To this list were added:
- the Atourais ( Aturenses , ex Tarusates ) of the Tursan ( Atura > Aire-sur-l'Adour, 40)
- the Ilourais ( Ilurenses = Bercorates ?) Ilouron ( Iluro > Oloron, 64)
according to the 12 évêchés of the beginnings of the Christian organization of Aquitaine.
But of other people still could have been individualized, like:
- the Garoumnes ( Garumni ), of unknown localization: Raymond Lizop supposes them in the high valley of the Garonne; some imagine them with Gironde-on-Dropt (33) in Benauge which one more generally considers populated of the Vasates.
- the Belindes ( Belindi ) to which one generally allots Belin-Béliet (33)
- the Cocosates of the Pays of Born of Linxe to Sanguinet ( Cocosa, Caequosa , close to Morcenx, 40)
- the Tarusates of the Pays of Marsan and of the Chalosse (Tartas, 40) become the Aturenses at the 4th century.
- the Oscidates campestri ( Oscineo , Houeillès, 47?)
- the Sotiates (S.O.S, 47)
- the Suburates , Sybillates or Sibusates of Drunk (Mauléon-Licharre, 64)
- the Bercorates of the Barétous (Aramits, 64)
- the Oscidates montani of the Valley of Ossau (Laruns, 64)
- the Onesii or Monesi (Luchon, 31)
- the Let us camp ( Camponi ; of Campan (65)?)
- the Bipedimus ( Bipedimui ) sometimes corrected in Pimpedunni which means “5 fortified towns” into Gallic,
- the Sassumins ( Sassumini ) sometimes corrected in Lassumini or Lassunni (and close to Saint-Hilaire-with-Lassun)
- the Vellates , supposed in valley of the Bidassoa (collar of Belate )
- the Tornates , which there are not place to place at Tournay (65), the name of this country house coming from the Belgian city
- the Venames ( Venami )
- the Onobrisates
- the Succases
- the Sennates
These people were mainly of culture Aquitanique (probably by assimilation of warlike people of Bronze or old Iron, a little like the Francs were acclimatized to the Gallo-Roman culture). The Boïens would have come from Bohemia at sixth century BC (first age of iron). The Convènes were Celtes to be judged some by the name of their city Lugdunum Convenarum , a name typically Gaulois. It is pointed out that the Bituriges Vivisques of the Bordelais belonged to the Aquitaine second (cf Gallic Peuples).
With the collapse of the Roman Empire of Occident, Novempopulanie was conquered by the Visigoths, with the statute of federate Peuple from 418.
Its romanisation will lead to the Gascogne.
|Random links:||Opportunity | Michael Young | Adam Foote | Death S | Soumitra Chatterjee | Sandwich,_le_Massachusetts|