Notre-Dame Basilica of Montreal
See also: Notre-Dame, Montreal (homonymy)
Located with Montreal, in the district montréalais of City-Marie, the Basilique Notre-Dame of Montreal is the church mother of Montreal. True religious art gallery, it has a completely personal and irresistible charm. The richness of its ornaments does not have an equivalent in Montreal.
History of the parishThe Notre-Dame Basilica of Montreal east one of the most invaluable buildings of the religious heritage Québécois. Glory of the Sulpiciens (then owners and lords of the island of Montreal), the church knew many stages of construction. The construction of the first church begins in 1672, and is increased for the first time in 1708. It is in 1722 that one will lengthen the frontage and by adding a flanked solid mass of two turns.
In 1734, because of the unceasingly increasing population, it is again increased, by creating sides connecting the transept to the turns. The completion of the current Basilique will be made towards 1830, date of the official unveiling. At the time of its voyage to Montreal in 1982, Jean-Paul II will raise the church with the row of minor Basilique. Facing the Place of Weapons and with the statue of the founder of Montreal, surrounded by raised buildings, it was for a long time the vastest temple in North America, all confused confessions.
The Basilica receives each year of the hundreds of thousands of visitors, attracted by his neogothic splendor , like its historical treasures: wood carved, tables, stained glasses, sculptures, a remarkable collection of Sacred art of. One celebrates many marriages there, in the vault of the Sacred Heart, rebuilt in 1980 after a fire (it is necessary to see there a Retable of contemporary bronze of Charles Daudelin). One can visit the Basilica at the time of visits of a score of minutes, or visits conferences two hours. One can thus see his very dramatic interior.
In 2007, the mass of the 350e birthday of the parish is disturbed by members of the CSN.
Priests of the parish
- Mr. Gained Robert, p.s.s. is the regulator of the pastoral team of the parish.
Mr. Miguel Castellanos, p.s.s. is member of the pastoral team of the parish.
Mr. Marcel Demers, p.s.s. is member of the pastoral team of the parish.
Mr. Réal Lévêque, p.s.s. is member of the pastoral team of the parish.
the Sunday Eucharistie is celebrated saturdays with 17:00, Sunday with 08:00, 09:30, 11:00 and 17:00.
the Eucharistie is also celebrated Monday to Friday in the vault of the Blessed Sacrament to 07:30 and in the Notre-Dame vault of the Sacred Heart to 12:15.
- Funeral of Sir George-Etienne Cartier in 1873
- Seat of the great international congress eucharistic of 1910
- Visit of the pope Jean-Paul II in 1982.
- Marriage of Celine Dion and Rene Angélil the December 17th 1994.
- Funeral of Maurice Richard the May 31st 2000
- Funeral of Pierre Elliott Trudeau the October 3rd 2000
- the symphony orchestra of Montreal with Bruno Pelletier to celebrate the period of Christmas in 2002 then 2003 and 2004 with the Small singers of Charlesbourg.
- Funeral of Claude Ryan the February 13rd 2004
- List of the catholic establishments of Quebec
- List of catholic basilicas
|Random links:||Göran Lambertz | Equip with Russia of hockey | Krai de Primorsk | West Vancouver | 1763 in classical music | La_Moselle|