See also: Caroline
HistoryPopulated by the man for more than 12.000 years to the liking of the waves of migration, its territory has been divided by various tribes including the Cherokee, Tuscarora, Cheraw, Pamlico, Meherrin, Korea, Machapunga, Indiens of the Cape Fear, Waxhaw, Saponi, Tutelo, Waccamaw, Coharie, and Catawba. It was the second American territory of the British empire to being colonized. Known a long time under the name of Albemarle, discovered in 1512 by the Spaniard Juan Sandpapers of León, this country was conceded in 1584 per Elisabeth with Walter Raleigh, who tried, but without success, to form an establishment there. In 1562, the French Jean Ribault, sent by Charles IX, is established in the Caroline-of-South, and gave to the country the name of Caroline, in the honor of this king; but in 1565 the Spaniards surprised the French colony and massacred it. Some time after, Dominique de Gourgues was sent with three vessels to avenge on the Spaniards the massacre for the French, but it did not try to raise the colony. In 1663, in thanks of their support at the time of the First revolution English, Charles II of England gave the grounds to eight owners: the chancellor Edouard Hyde, 1st count de Clarendon, the general George Monck, duke of Albemarle, Lord Craven, Lord John Berkeley, Lord Anthony Ashley Cooper, count de Shaftesbury, to sir George de Carteret and to sir William Berkeley. In 1729 their descendants yielded the property of it to the British government (except John Carteret which advantageously negotiated its rights) which divided all the country into two States, and which had it until the declaration of independence, in 1775. Locke had given in 1670 a constitution to the Caroline; but this constitution could not be applied.
Adhesion in the United States: November 21st 1789
Official bird: the Cardinal (scientific Name: Cardinalis cardinalis)
Official Fleur: the Dogwood (Name scientific: Horned florida )
Currency: Esse quam videri (“To be rather than to seem”)
Population (in 2000): 8.049.313 hab.
Caroline-of-North knew three Constitution S:
- 1776 : ratified the December 18th 1776, it was the first constitution of the independent State. The Declaration of the rights was ratified the previous day.
- 1868 : This one was written on the models of the Reconstruction Acts , after the integration of Caroline-of-North in the Union. It is a major modification, and a reorganization in fourteen articles, original constitution.
- 1971 : Consolidation of the constitution of 1868 and the amendments which resulted from this.
Caroline-of-North has borders with the Caroline-of-South in the south, the Georgia in south-west, the Tennessee in the west, the Virginia in north, and the ocean Atlantique in the east. In the west, the the Appalachian Mountains constitutes a natural border with Tennessee.
Its principal geographical curiosities are:
- the Blue Ridge Mountains (the Appalachian Mountains) with the west,
- the area of the Piedmont in the south,
- the Cape Fear,
- the Cap Hatteras,
- the Outer Banks on the east coast: it is about a cord of islands which skirts the continental base.
The State of Caroline-of-North is divided into 100 counties ( counties ).
See the List of the counties of North Carolina.
Charlotte 610.949 inhabitants
- Raleigh 341.530 inhabitants, capital of the State
- Greensboro 231.962 inhabitants
- Winston-Salem 193.755 inhabitants
- Fayetteville 129.928 inhabitants
- Wilmington 75.838 inhabitants (2000)
- Asheville 72.231 inhabitants
Villages with names amusing for the english-speaking:
- Climax (county of Guilford, close to Greensboro)
- Lizard Lick (county of Wake, close to Raleigh)
PolicyCaroline-of-North is a State Southerner, conservative and an old democratic bastion become a fortified town of the republican S as from the years 1980, at least at the national level.
However, Caroline-of-North did not vote any more for a democratic candidate since Jimmy Carter in 1976 and George W. Bush was easily elected there in 2000 and also in 2004 with 56% of the voices in spite of the presence of John Edwards, senator of the State, like candidate with the vice-presidency at the side of the democrat John Kerry.
The General meeting of Caroline-of-North ( North Carolina General Assembly in English) is made up of a Room of the representatives, comprising 120 members, and of a Senate, composed of 50 members. The two rooms are both with democratic majority at the time of the session 2007-2008.
In 2005, at the federal level, the two senators of the State are the republicans Elizabeth Dole and Richard Burr whereas seven republicans and six democrats represent the State with the Chambre of the Representatives of the United States.
The December 2nd 2005, Caroline-of-North is the State which carries out the execution of the thousandths condemned to died since the re-establishment, in 1976, of the Capital punishment in the United States.
EconomyThe Research Triangle Park is a park of high technology and a place of teaching located at Raleigh.
The International airport of Raleigh-Durham serves this State.
Colleges and Universités
professional Teams of sport
- Carolina Panthers, National Football League
- Hurricanes of the Caroline, National league of hockey
- Charlotte Bobcats, NBA
- Charlotte Sting, WNBA
- Carolina Courage, Women' S United Soccer Association (plays Chapel Hill)
- teams of Minor League Baseball
- Caroline-of-North on Wikitravel
- Official site of the State of tourist Caroline-of-North
- Official site of Caroline-of-North
Beats-smg: Šiauris Karolina Simple: North Carolina
|Random links:||Sculptor (constellation) | Mathieu de Trie | Adolfo Ángel Alba | Corneal Clerc's Office | Kenwood Corporation|