Nimègue (in Dutch Nijmegen , in German Nimwegen , in Spanish Nimega ) is a city of: 160000 inhabitants in the east of the Netherlands, close to the German border. It is the oldest city of the Netherlands.
Culture and education
The city is famous for the greatest world demonstration of walk, the Marche Four Days of Nimègue, which takes place each year in July.
Nimègue is the seat of the university Radboud.
History and etymology
It is the oldest city of the Netherlands. Nimègue holds its name of the Gallic “ Noviomagus ” which means “ new marché ”.
Geography and development
Nimègue is on left bank of the Waal and, at the origin in the east of the Canal of the Meuse in Waal.
The essential development of Nimègue pushed the commune to be created in the years 1965-1985 in the west of the channel of the new districts, Dukenburg, lodging approximately: 25000 inhabitants, and Lindenholt, lodging approximately: 20000 inhabitants.
During the construction of Dukenburg, the small bridge of the village of Hatert, going back to 1927, was replaced by a new bridge and an access road of 4 ways. Two bars and the church of the village of Hartert disappeared, involving with them the heart of the village, today district of Nimègue with approximately: 10000 inhabitants.
The old village of Neerbosch was cut into two by the channel. The part is of Neerbosch developed since 1950 to become a district of Nimègue and the western part was integrated after 1980 in the new Lindenholt district.
- Holy Pierre Canisius, Jesuit, theologist, author of the Catechism
- Eddie van Halen, musician
- Emperor Henri VI of Hohenstaufen
- Brothers of Limbourg ( Gebroeders Van Limburg ), famous medieval painters
- Happy Titus Brandsma, martyr, died with Dachau. Chosen by the population of the city like the greatest personality of Nimègue.
- Tourist office (in English and German)
- Walk Four Days of Nimègue
- Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen
- Nijmegen on Wiki of the Dutchmen
- News from Nijmegen
- Nijmegen in Site. Virtual guided visit.
|Random links:||With the barks (film, 2005) | Costa (Haute-Corse) | District of Laufon | Jean-Louis Demarne | Sista skriket | Bruce_Cockburn|