Name of the inhabitants: Montelais or Montiliens
The Municipal council is composed of 29 members: the Mayor, 8 assistant, and 20 city council men. He meets 8 to 10 times per annum in the Room of the Council of the rule and Town hall by deliberations all the businesses of the commune.
There exists also a Municipal council of Children, composed of 17 members, elected officials each year by the pupils of cycle 3 of the schools of the commune.
Budget and taxation
TwinningMonteux is twinned with Gladenbach in Germany.
List successive mayors
Large company present on the commune
- Canning facilities Charles Faraud, Ducros, the tisanière, Lurit Transport, Louis Martin,…
- printing works MG obtained in 2006 the label “' Green” Imprim for its respectful work of the environment. Only two printers vauclusiens have this label.
- In the past, of many montelais worked in the factories of the Artificier Ruggieri.
Culture and Inheritance
Places and monuments
- Turn Clémentine, which owes its name with the stay of the Pape Clément V in these walls. It was the keep of the castle of Monteux, built at the 11th century. It is the only construction which resisted the fire which destroyed this castle in 1415. Its name was given to him in the honor of the Pope Clement V who was one of his owners and who often remained there. It is 28 meters high and 8 meters is broad. Its walls have a 2 meters thickness. Its top is bordered of simple crenels. Its height makes it possible to see the town suit and the plain of Comtat. Its demolition was frequently required, but ever granted, because the historical memories which are attached to it are numerous. The Tower besides was classified Historic building on January 8th, 1910.
- Vestiges of the rampart S of the city: the New Door and the Door of Avignon are two doors which made it possible to enter the city, at the time where Monteux was surrounded by ramparts. They are besides the two only vestiges of these ramparts. The New Door dates from the 14th century and was called formerly Porte Notre-Dame. It changed name and was doubled at the time of its restoration at the 17th century. It preserved the conduits of the chains of the bridge levis and its turrets of angle. Under the arched porch, two stone benches were leant with the walls and were used as seats to the members of the Council of the City who returned justice there. This door is single in its kind in the area and is classified Historic building.
- the door of Avignon was built at the 14th century in order to allow the access towards Avignon and the south of Monteux. Walled in 1695, a new door was built approximately 290 years ago following the plans of Mignard, painter of the nobility and the king Louis XIV. Its aspect of origin was much more flattering, bearing in sculpture the weapons of the pope and those of Monteux, but they were broken in 1792. This door was one of the important places of the city: only passage with the New Gate to leave the city, place of water supply, it was synonymous with life and activities.
the Eglise Notre Dame de Nazareth owes her existence to the monks of the Abbey of Montmajour, who authorized, at the 14th century, the enlarging of a vault will intra muros because of the distance of the first church. Of Gothic style dominating, the nave of the church measures 40 meters length and 14 broad. The bell-tower goes back to 1605. After the Revolution, construction required major repairss. The traditional Gothic frontage was carried out between the two wars. The Church recently was restored and classified Historic building in 1992 for the following reasons: " Apparent frame. Scarcity of this type of buildings in the South Est". A platform is built in 2007 to install there a Orgue with pipes.
the Vault Notre Dame of the Graces: In 1629, in full epidemic of plague, the Council of Monteux decides to build a vault under the title of Notre Dame of the Graces, in order to alleviate “the anger of God”, and to put an end to the contagious evil which extends on Comtat Venaissin. It thus into 1630 that the Notre-Dame Vault of the Graces is built, is set up by Nicolas Moreau, a mason of Pernes-the-Fountains. It renders great services to the commune. It, for example, is transformed into infirmary in 1720 when the plague makes its great return in the area, it is also used to protect the faithful ones at the time of strong bad weather. September 21st, 1780, water precisely, and more particularly Auzon, at a rate of our small vault, invading the interior and degrading with the passage the walls until breast height. But despite everything, the Notre-Dame vault of the Graces knew to face the ravage of time (plunderings, destruction) for the greatest joy of Montiliens.
the Vault of the Penitent Blacks belonged to the Brotherhood of the Penitent Blacks, founded religious association with Monteux in 1566. At the beginning, the penitent ones had a ground behind the church and built a Vault in which they met during nearly 200 years. In the middle of the 18th century, they settled in a new Vault where they remained only 40 years because, during the revolution, it was confiscated and sold. The Brotherhood remained then nearly 50 years without place of worship. In January 1842, the vice-chancellor of Penitent yielded to them part of the one of his grounds so that they can build a new vault, which is still upright today. Measuring 15 m length and 10 broad, it comprises only one rectangular nave and can receive approximately 150 sitted people.
- the Town hall was formerly a hospital, the Hospital St Pierre. He was built in 1713, because the preceding hospital was too small. It closed temporarily after being plundered during the revolution. The Germans occupied it during the last war thus obliging the nuns which dealt with the patients to turn over in their convent ardéchois. The patients were then dispersed in the various establishments of the neighborhoods. After the war, the citizens of Monteux wished to find their hospital and wanted the return of the nuns. But the Municipal council in anticlerical majority opposed the will citizens. The building was placed at the disposal of the people of the 3rd age who came to spend the day there, framed by the voluntary ones. But the building and the gardens being maintained, the site worsened. The municipality decided in the Fifties to make the Town hall of it and to transfer the unit to it from the administrative services. And thus the inauguration of the Town hall took place on July 21st, 1958.
One randomly finds also many fountains of the walk in the streets of the heart of city.
The commune has two parks: the Bellerive Park and the Notre Dame Park, located each side of Auzon, the river which crosses the city. One can also make excursions around Monteux.
Each year, the weekend following on May 16th, the Confrérie of Saint People organizes a Pèlerinage in Beaucet. This demonstration kept its traditional character and Folklorique. Saturdays, of young people in costumes of time the statue of Saint People and the banner until the Ermitage carry. In the evening of Saturday and the morning of Sunday, religious ceremonies take place. The Christ, also carried by young people in behaviors of time, starts from Monteux towards the hermitage at 6 o'clock in the morning. When these ceremonies are finished, the procession of the pilgrims, trained people with foot and of charettes (called flowers stand), sets out again towards Monteux. On arrival of the saint, bombs burst and the Cloche S sound. A blessing takes place in the Chapelle devoted to the saint and the Fête finishes with the church Notre Dame de Nazareth by a short speech in Provençal.
The Fireworks, symbol resulting from the historical presence of an important industry Pyrotechnical. Fourth Friday of August gives place to a large fireworks of national scale. In 2006, to celebrate the Mozart year, the topic in is: The Magic Flute. In 2007, it is Europe which is the topic, with " Laid, Europa mia". This fireworks without equal hard between 3/4 of hour and an hour, and attracts approximately 15.000 people come from all the area, as well as many tourists.
Equipment or Services
Library, MJC, house of associations.
- the Village hall: since 1992, Monteux is equipped with a village hall called the Room of the Water Tower. Its full capacity of 800 people is flexible, it has of a system of wiring for sound and lighting, of a scene, a bar, an arranged kitchen, and a hall of reception, a carpark of 800 places and a shaded park decorated of plays for children.
- the room of Basket making is also used as theater.
- the school complex Béraud
- the school complex Ripert
- the school Pagnol
- the school of the Old Mill
- the college Silve
- the Notre Dame school of Warm welcome
- Rural Family home of Denoves
- Recreational center Associated with School (CLAE).
Sports associations: Rugby, football, handball, motor bike-ball, tennis, race on foot, table tennis, game of bowls, bicycle, horsemanship)
3 Stages: Georges Henri, Bertier and St-Hilaire, placed at the disposal of the clubs of Rugby, football, motor bike-ball,…
The COSEC: composed of a gymnasium (for the badminton, handball, basketball) and of a stage in the open air with grounds of tennis shoes, of hand, a football field and a small track of athletics with all the installations necessary to the practice of the athletics.
The offer in care with Monteux is varied. Part of the experts are gathered in a medical center.
- 10 general doctors,
- 3 speech therapists
- 7 nurses
- 2 osteopaths
- 5 dentists
- 2 chiropodists
- 6 kinesitherapists
- 1 dietetician
- 4 pharmacy
Monteux also has an old people's home, reserved to the valid elderly.
The trade of proximity is varied and dynamic: General food, baker's and confectioner's shops, fish shop, wines, equipment of the person, culture and leisures, services,… all the fields are represented.
Side craftsmen, diversity is also of setting: ironwork, masons, materials, carpenter, mechanics, plumbers, alarm, landscape gardener…
A great number of these tradesmen and craftsmen gathered in association, the Association of the Tradesmen and Artisans of Monteux (the U.C.A.M.), in order to offer to the montiliens additional services: various animations and promotions, delivery in residence,… One will note also the presence of 2 mini-markets.
WorshipCatholic. Place of worship: Church ND of Nazareth
Clubs and Associations
Monteux counts more than 140 associations, among which one finds associations in cultural matter
- : MJC, library, traditions of Provence, music, choral society, twinning
- school and extra-curricular: associations of parents of pupils, school funds, company of the public schools
- social: French, friendly Red Cross of the family association, blood donors, Catholic aid, patriotic popular help
- : war veterans
Personalities related to the commune
- Laura Baret, young person montilienne laid off with the club of swimming of the Trigger guard, became on June 17th, 2006 vice-champion of France in swimming in main road 2, tiny category in 50 m Freestyle.
Félicien Trewey was born on May 23rd, 1848 in Angouleme, but lived in Monteux as of infancy. Specialist in mimes and Chinese shades, or ombromanie, it used many hats to visualize the characters whom it mimait. He was also an internationally recognized conjurer. Friends of the Brothers Light, it turned in their first films in 1895 and it introduced the Lumière cinematograph in Great Britain in February 1896. It is deceased on December 2nd, 1920 and is buried in Monteux.
Rosa Bordas was born in Monteux on February 26th, 1840. It is one of the first female interpreters of the popular French song, with Amiati. She lived with her mother who held an inn cabaret. She met her husband at the time of a festival, he was guitarist singer and the music learned to him. Its success was fast and quickly became national. She illustrated herself in Paris during the events of the Commune. Died on May 30th, 1901, it was buried in Monteux. Frederic Mistral devotes to him a whole chapter in its work Memòri E Raconte (Memories and accounts). Of its true name Rosalie Martin, known as Rosa Bordered or quite simply Bordered It, or “Rachel of the people”, it, at the time of the declaration of the war in 1870, had sung the Marseillaise a flag with the hand.
Benoni Auran : Born in 1859, deceased in 1944, painter, recognized with the international level. Many its works are exposed in the rooms of the Town hall. It is side with Drouot.
Andre Chiron: Singer and guitarist who sings into of Provence, in particular Georges Brassens. At the city, he is professor of EPS.
|Random links:||Qatar | Territorio del OcÃ©ano Ãndico britÃ¡nico | Ben Johnson (athlete) | Mathilde of Portugal | Raphidiidae | Swale (channel) | Daniel_D._Tompkins|