The “S” final of Montargis is dumb but, unlike the city rather close to Lorris, no movement seems to take shape, locally, to modify the pronunciation of it.
The inhabitants are called Montargois .
Montargis was sometimes called, at various times but in a very marginal way, Montargis-the-Franc , in reference to its medieval history and its armorial bearings. One indicates sometimes the city under the name of “Venice of the Gâtinais”
Montargis, located at approximately 110 km in the south of Paris, with the confluences of the Loing, Puiseaux and Vernisson, is the natural capital of the Gâtinais orléanais. Crossing moreover by the Canal of Briare, it is so frequent to cross a bridge there that, of long time, some made a tourist slogan of it: “Montargis, Venice of Gâtinais”.
Montargis is near the intersection of the highway A77 and the future prolongation of the highway A19 (with less than 10 km, on the territory of the commune of Gondreville).
It is served by a station of the Ligne Paris-Clermont-Ferrand.
Demography and statistics
Urban unit of MontargisThe urban unit of Montargis gathers the 10 communes of the agglomeration of Montargis (HEART) for approximately 56.023 inhabitants: Montargis (15 030), Châlette-on-Loing (13 969), Amilly (11 497), Villemandeur (5 650), Breakdowns (2 913), Corquilleroy (2 395), Cepoy (2 292), Vimory (1 081), Paucourt (860), Conflans-on-Loing (356).
Urban surface of MontargisThe urban surface of Montargis gathers 32 communes for approximately 68.000 inhabitants:
In addition to the 10 communes of the urban unit of Montargis, it includes/understands the following communes: Saint-Germain-of-Meadows (1864), Montcresson (1301), Chevillon-on-Huillard (1189), Saint-Maurice-on-Fessard (1056), Girolles (700), Saddle-in-Hermoy (642), Gy-les-Nonains (632), Solterre (475), Saint-Firmin-of-Wood (460), Gondreville (381), Oussoy-in-Gâtinais (378), Mignères (329), Mignerette (323), Treillised vineyard-in-Gâtinais (278), Louzouer (277), the Vault-Saint-Sepulchre (277), Lombreuil (240), Villevoques (222), Moulon (180), Mormant-on-Vernisson (117), Cortrat (86), Thorailles (83).
- in the Canton of Amilly (district of Montargis):
- Amilly and Villemandeur;
- in the Canton of Châlette-on-Loing (district of Montargis):
HistorySee the Leitartikel: History of Montargis.
HeraldicWeapons of the town of Montargis:
“Of azure, with the capital letter M crowned of gold, confined of three flowers of lily of gold, two as a chief and one at a peak, which is accompanied by the gold letter L on the left and by the of the same letter F on the right. ”This blasonnement in illustrated France of is given Malta-Brown, and is subject to deposit in its statement (“left” and “right”)
Sustinet labentem It supports the staggering throne.
EconomyThe economy of the agglomeration turns mainly around Hutchinson, first industrial rubber world supplier. Nevertheless, the current trend with the delocalization makes that in some time, this site will have less influence than in the past.
Montargis has an antenna of the Chamber of commerce and industry of Loiret.
- Cultural life in Montargis: Library, Files, Museums, Music school and of dance
- Public library known as Library Durzy, 12 rue du Faubourg de la Chaussée, 45200 MONTARGIS
- municipal Files , 2 boulevard Durzy, 45200 MONTARGIS (old town hall, entry postpone building)
- Musée Girodet , located in the Durzy hotel between the Loing and the Canal of Briare. It comprises 26 paintings of the painter and a few hundreds of his drawings. Last acquired work is the lesson of geography in 2005. The address is 2 rue du Faubourg de la Chaussée, 45200 MONTARGIS (old town hall, entered by the frontage)
- Musée of Gâtinais , 7 rue du Château, 45200 MONTARGIS
- Musée of the Tanners , Rond-point Perruchot, 45200 MONTARGIS
- Société of emulation of the district of Montargis (SEM), head office with the Public library (known as Bibliothèque Durzy).
Montargis is also the place of Tournage of the film Week-end Montargis , Film parodic present in the large DVD of Kad and Olivier.
GastronomyThe Praslines Mazet : grilled almonds and caramelized according to a receipt allotted to an officer of mouth of the duke of Praslin, under Louis XIII. This receipt was taken again, at the end of the 19th century century, by the establishments Mazet, owners of a confectionery, in Montargis, which remained until our days.
See also: Dresses
Tally of life
- flowered City: 3 flowers allotted by the National council of the Cities and Flowered Villages of France to the Contest of the cities and flowered villages.
AdministrationMontargis is Chef-lieu:
- of current the Canton of Montargis (limited to Montargis)
- of the District of Montargis (which groups since 1926 the old districts of Gien and Montargis)
Montargis was, until in the Années 1970, chief town of the old canton of Montargis (grouping 15 communes, to see the article on the current canton)
The city is also the seat of the community of agglomeration entitled Agglomération Montargoise and Rives of Loing (nearly 50.000 inhabitants). |- | colspan=" 4" align=" center" | Les former data is with compléter. |- | align=" right" | January 17th 1954 || align=" right" | March 26th 1971 || Robert Szigeti || Various right-hand side || |- | align=" right" | March 26th 1971 || align=" right" | March 24th 1977 || Gerard Stops || Various right-hand side || |- | align=" right" | March 24th 1977 || align=" right" | March 19th 1983 || max Nublat || PCF || Teacher - General adviser |- | align=" right" | March 19th 1983 || align=" right" | March 24th 1989 || Michel Brissont || RPR || Lawyer |- | align=" right" | March 24th 1989 || align=" right" | October 23rd 1997 || max Nublat || PCF || Teacher - General adviser |- | align=" right" | October 23rd 1997 || align=" right" | March 26th 2001 || Jacques Reboul || PCF || Railwayman - Regional adviser |- | align=" right" | March 26th 2001 || align=" right" |(2008) || Jean-Pierre Door || UMP || Doctor (cardiologist) and appointed of Loiret |}
- Gatien de Courtilz de Sandras (1644-1712), writer
- Jeanne-Marie Herdsman of the Mound known as Mrs Guyon (1648-1717), known for its mystical work and its long correspondence (approximately 27 years) with Fénelon and like worried to him for one supposed Quiétisme.
- Manual Pierre, public prosecutor of the commune of Paris in 1791, guillotine in 1793.
- Girodet-Trioson (1767-1824), painter, was born there and passed its childhood there.
- Louis Jacques Bresnier (1814-1869), orientalist
- In the years 1920, lived an important Chinese community there: Deng Xiaoping, Zhou Enlaï passed part of their youth there, as well as others less known (of which Li Weihan , vice-president of the senate, Li Fuchun , Deputy Prime Minister, or, who was Foreign Minister of 1958 to 1972). The majority worked with the factory of products rubbery Hutchinson, with Châlette-on-Loing.
- Jean-Marie Proslier (1928-1997), actor and humorist
- Pascal Thomas (born in 1945), scenario writer
- Patricia Petibon, Professional singer;
- Gaëtan Huard, footballer;
- Two members of Louise Attaque , group musical of rock'n'roll, studied in Montargis, the Lycée Durzy.
- Salim Sdiri, recordman of France of Long jump in room and first athlete French with being professional within the National league of athletics is with the club of the USM Montargis
Tourist monuments and places
Castle of MontargisThere remain only vestiges about it. According to the tradition, Montargis, would originate in high and powerful tower strengthened on the hill by the king Clovis in order to ensure defense against the incursions which devastated the country then. Towards 1135, Milon de Courtenay undertakes the construction of a new castle in the vicinity immediate of the old woman tower. The completion of this work in 1149 coincides with the installation of a first enclosure carried out by Renaud de Courtenay, wire of Milon; this one protects the agglomeration located at the foot from the castle. Other constructions are allotted to Pierre Ier de Courtenay, seventh child of the king Louis the Large, become lord of Montargis, by his marriage with Elisabeth de Courtenay (1151). His/her Lambert son makes build the Sainte-Marie church, which, in XIIe century, constituted the parish church of Montargis.
In 1184, Philippe Auguste joins together Montargis with the royal field. The king, who resides at the castle on several occasions, makes raise a keep. As from 1370, Charles V, “second founder of Montargis”, undertakes work of extension and restoration. It charges Raymond with the Temple, celebrates it architect of the Louvre and the castles of Vincennes and Sully, the realization whose showpieces are the “big room of the weapons” and a new vault integrated in the royal home. In 1379, the carcass work is completed. Work finishes in 1380 by the installation of a clock, one of the first of France. At the same time the realization of a second enclosure around the city is undertaken.
After the death of Hercules II of Este, duke of Ferrare her husband, Renee de France girl of Louis XII and Anne of Brittany withdraws himself in Montargis which belongs to its prerogative. The pious princess makes castle a refuge for the Protestants. At once after its arrival in 1561, it undertakes important work to make livable its residence seriously damaged by the fire which devastated the city in 1525 and by the destruction of the huguenots in 1562. Jacques Androuet of the Hoop is in charge of the realization: it referred in its there more excellent bastiments of France : “Which (Renee de France) estant veuce, and withdrawn in France the year 1560 finding this place thus beautiful, and such as top, however extremely descheu and demoly, and by this means made quasy uninhabitable, amply repaired it, embelly and enrechichy of aucuns new bastiment, gardens, and others commoditez, such as one sees it now, and made there his ordinary residence iusques with his demise”. One can allot to Hoop the arbors or “galleries of carpentries which of present are covered with ivy”, inspired by those that Bramante carried out in the gardens of the Vatican, and many monumental doors forming point of view in the alleys of the garden.
During the minority of Louis XIII, Marie Médicis repurchases with the heirs to Anne d' Este the seigniory of Montargis which in 1612, becomes the prerogative of the duke of Orleans and which remains in this house until the Revolution. At the end of the Old Mode, the castle remained still almost in its entirety, except for the keep that Louis XIV had made shave (1697). In 1810 is begun the demolition which finishes in 1827 with the destruction of the tower of the Clock. A “postern” located at South-east, a turret building (XVe century), which belonged to the commun runs and some remains of the enclosure remain until our days.
Thanks to the drawings of Hoop, with the sources of the XVIIe century and the prints of the beginning of the XIXe century. a restitution is possible. The castle was located on the edge of the plate dominating the valley of the Loing, in the West of the city. It fitted in an irregular polygon girds, of a wall provided with turns and a ditch. In North the keep of Philippe Auguste rose. To this one was attached the “big room”, built for Charles V, consisted of a ground floor and a square stage. An external staircase of wood, which was drawn up freely in front of the building, served the stage. Following the “big room” a first room was which preceded the vault built by Charles V. This one was in communication with the room of the king, to which was annexed a cabinet placed in a round tower. The royal home was completed by the apartment of the queen. The center of the polygon was marked by the “Old woman tower”, of annular plan with a central court, which one identified with the tower built by Clovis. In the vicinity was the Sainte-Marie church, built at the end of XIIe century for Lambert of Courtenay: she imitated, says one, the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem; the statement of Hoop does not show anything tel. To the lower part of this church, was the Saint-Ginefort vault. The castle had three accesses: in South-east, the “postern” which opened towards the city, in the West, an access serving the court of Orleans in front of the royal home; the “counter” under the tower of Clovis in North.
The gardens, then, beyond that, the park made like a second and a third enclosure, almost complete.
Parish church Holy-Madeleine
This church dates from 12th, 15th and 16th and second half of the 17th century, restored and supplemented under the direction of Purple-the-Duke starting from 1863. It is classified under the historic buildings by decrees of the February 10th 1909 (together except the turn-bell-tower) and July 10th 2000 (turn-bell-tower).
The nave, built at the end of XIIe century, is the remainder of the first parish church independent of the castle, probably rested by Philippe Auguste. The vaults of the left side were added at the end of XVe or the beginning of XVIe century.
The chorus is the most remarkable part. It was constuit after the fire of July 25th 1525, which destroyed almost all the city. The financial aid of the king arrives as of 1526. The vault of the last vault on the right carries the date of 1545. The work lasts being stopped during the time disturbs 1562 - 1567, where the Madeleine is plundered by the huguenots. The vaults of the left side are arched in 1571 - 1572. Once completed the stage of the vaults, one passes to construction pillars. January 31st 1574 is signed the market of construction of a pillar. The vault of the déambulatoire behind the high altar is gone back to 1586. Work would have been completed in 1608: the dedication had on April 22nd 1618. The vaults of the central vessel, out of brick and plaster, go back to 1860. It seems that the central vessel remained covered of a frame until this date. The construction of chorus was allotted, without proof but not without probability, with Jacques Androuet of the Hoop, architect of Renee de France celebrates it.
Hoop comes in Montargis and works for Renee de France as of 1560. In 1581, he lives permanently in Montargis. One generally admits that so Hoop intervened on the building site of the Madeleine, it could be too tardily to only take part in the definition of the party. Nothing is less sure. Because what makes the originality of the chorus of Montargis, it is not its plan, rather banal, but the treatment of the vessels in church-market: the central vessel, the collatéreaux ones and the déambulatoire, very slim, have the same height. This party points out certain Italian churches, the Gothic churches of the South-west of France or Hallen-Kirche of the late Gothic of Germany of the South. However, the choice of this party, which one can allot only to one Master, could well intervene only tardily since the establishment of the pillars dates only from the years 1570. The first allusion to Jacques Androuet Of the Hoop as architect of the chorus of the Madeleine goes back to 1630.
The vaults of the nave suffered from the collapse of the bell-tower in 1656. Undoubtedly they were remade, at least partially, on this occasion.
The last great work go back to 1860 and one undertaken by Purple-the-Duke and Anatole de Baudot: construction of the high parts and the arrow of the turn-bell-tower, the right vaults of the nave, the gate of the right-hand man, the vaults of the central vessel of the chorus; polychrome painting for the unit.
The whole of the stained glasses dates from the years 1860, left the workshops Lobin de Tours.
- Old convent of the Ursulines, become hospital (of the Revolution at 1993) then old people's home. Built starting from 1644, frontage of the street Jean-Jaurès rebuilt of 1926 with 1932. Classification partial with the Inventory of the historic buildings the April 11th 1994.
- Place of June 18th, 1940, more usually called Rough grazing or, of its old official name, place du Pâtis , larger third places France.
- Store of the praslines Mazet (Street of the general-Leclerc, with the bedside of the Madeleine): neo-gothic house built in 1920 by Rene Cases with sculptures of Jean Boucher.
- Old Town hall of late neo-classic style, built between 1859 and 1861 by Etienne-Albert Delton to shelter the foundation (technical training school and library) created by Philippe Durzy, captain in the armies of Napoleon. Repurchased by the city in 1881, it shelters today a library and a museum and the municipal files. The room of the marriages goes back from worms 1925 and neo-gothic style. In the garden the vestiges of a house of Lorris are visible, known as Tournemotte of XIIIesiècle.
- Savings bank (opposite the old town hall), built in 1904 by certain Brochon, architect with Montargis.
- , to see
- , to see
|Random links:||Communist party of Chile | University Adam Barka d' Abéché | Louis-François Broke | Gaston Thiesson | Jana Buchholz|