Miri is an episode of the televised series Episodes of Star Trek , TOS, Saison 1 .
While answering hazard warning signals, the Enterprise discovers a planet which is an exact copy of the Earth. Téléportés on planet, the captain Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Janice Rand and two men of safety discovers an architecture identical to that of the ground, in the years 1960. But there are remains in the streets and the obviousness which the decline was continuous during at least several centuries.
Soudain McCoy is attacked by a sick man, a man terribly disfigured, alienated, and violent one. Before Kirk can obtain useful information, this man dies. He seems to have only ages in a few minutes. Noises are made hear of one of the given up buildings, where they discover a terrified young girl, Miri.
Speaking in Miri, Kirk learns how the adults (grups) became sick and alienated, burning and killing, and the children (onlies) had to hide them until they are all died. McCoy realizes that a plague struck this world, and killed the major part of the population. Suddenly, on the hand of Kirk, Miri sees a mark. Kirk with the disease which killed the grups. Soon, each one has it, except Spock.
McCoy starts to seek a remedy. Spock and Kirk discover the existence of a project going back to three hundred years, having for goal to prolong the life. But a miscalculation destroyed the adults, leaving only the children. Their development was slowed down however, letting them survive by their own means during the three hundred last years. However, once they reach puberty, they succumb to the disease. Spock conjectures that in one week, all the members of the team will succumb; earlier than that, they will become insane. The transfer disappear, stolen by the children.
By accident, McCoy discovers the responsible organization, and succeeds in isolating a substance which could be the vaccine. But without transfer steps of computer, and computer it is impossible to be certain - or to know proportioning about it.
Kirk, persuades Miri to help it. Returning with the transfer ones, Kirk finds Spock and a man of safety at the side of McCoy. The doctor, into a movement of despair, injected the vaccine. He is without knowledge, perhaps dying… suddenly the traces of the disease start to disappear. The vaccine is a success.
Enterprise sets out again, leaving a medical team responsible for the children, who will receive soon the care and the education which they will need.
Spock: " Circumference, 24.874 miles. Average density, 5.517. The atmosphere, oxygen-nitrogenizes… "
Janice Rand: " Earth… "
Kirk: " Not ground. Another Ground. Another Ground… "
Kirk: " Is this the good vaccine? "
McCoy: " It is what the computers will indicate to us… "
Spock: " Without them… it could be a mortal poison… "
Spock after Mc Coy cured of its injection of the vaccine: " I will never include/understand the médical." spirit;
Janice Rand: " Miri… it really loved you, you savez."
Kirk: " I never become in love older women, Yeoman."
Topics and Valeurs
the danger of the genetic engineering.
immortality at the price of sexuality.
- First outline: August 11th, 1966
- final Scenario: August 12th, 1966
- Diffusion: October 27th, 1966
Actors and Characters
- the girls of William Shatner have small roles in this episode, just as the girl of Gene Roddenberry, and twin wire of Grace Lee Whitney. Other members of the " Onlies" were the children of the team of the studio.
- It was during the festival of Friday evening after the turning of this episode which Grace Lee Whitney (Janice Rand) was sexually attacked by a member of the show that it identifies only like " Cadre" in its autobiography " The Longest Trek'". It was returned shortly after and its descent into Hell started, from which it went finally back and became a Jewish Christian woman.
- Kim Darby (Miri) had much more than approximately thirteen years when she played this part (she was 19 years old), it was probably for that she wore full clothing.
- the episode was parodied by South Park in The Wacky Molestation Adventure.
- In its first volume of the adaptations of episodes, James Blish provides an explanation which is much better with that " Earth identique" , of the episode of television. Blish wrote that the planet of Miri is the fourth orbital planet the star 70 Ophiucus and is a beautiful planet similar to the ground having large and two smaller continents connected by islands. Ophiucus IV (Blish never names planet) had been the first planet outside the solar system of the Earth to being colonized, in this case by refugees of alleged the " Froide" peace; at beginning of the year 2100, approximately 500 years before the events depicted in the episode of television. These colonists were the isolationists who violently pushed back the first attempt to come into contact with them by a posterior forwarding of the Earth and thus no new contact was tested. The Ophiucus system was thus in part of the galaxy that the following years of space exploration were unaware of and thus the belligerent colony was almost forgotten. Around 300 years before the events shown in " Miri" , the scientists on Ophiucus IV developed the experimental project of prolongation of life which led to died of each adult on planet. In spite of their proximity, the hazard warning signal sent by the colony did not reach Earth because Ophiucus IV was between the Earth and the center of the Milky Way, whose interstellar radiation drowned signal S.O.S that the colony had sent towards the Earth.
Decorations and Accessories
- It is the first appearance of the medical laptop (Biocomp) of McCoy, which it will use later in The Omega Glory.
See alsoJames Blish, translated in '' Star Trek 1: The last creature '' with the editions Lefrancq Claude
Miri on Memory Alpha
|Random links:||Luigi Einaudi | Kenny Ortega | Publius Decius Driven (consul in -340) | George Chakiris | INDO LIVE | Mouvement_lent_(chanson)|