Microsoft Windows Vista
Microsoft Windows Vista is the most recent version of Microsoft Windows, a range of graphic operating systems which is used as much on the personal computers as professional. Before the official announcement of its final name on July 22nd, 2005, it had like code name Longhorn .
Its development was completed on November 8th, 2006, and it was available for the large accounts as of this date. January 30th, 2007, took place world launching for the general public. This new operating system arrives five years after the marketing of its predecessor, Windows XP.
According to Microsoft, Windows Vista would contain hundreds of new functionalities. Most significant of them are, undoubtedly, the revival of the graphical interface, a function of research more developed thanks to the indexing, of new tools for multi-media creation, like the Créateur of DVD Windows, the configuration network partly récrite and finally, core NT6 ensuring a greater stability and moreover high efficiencies. Vista aims at increasing the level of communication between the machines on a lan by using the technology of the Peer-to-peer which simplifies the file-sharing and of numerical media between the computers and the peripherals. For the developers, Vista introduces version 3 of the .NET Framework which aims to facilitate the programming of applications with traditional the API Windows.
The primary goal of Microsoft with Vista is to obtain a better safety for the system. One of criticisms most current of Windows XP, and its predecessors, was that vulnerabilities allowing the Malware S and the Virus to penetrate in the computer were discovered, and exploited, relatively often. With the sight of this, Bill Gates announced at the beginning of 2002, the repurchase of Trustworthy Computing to add new functions of safety in the next versions. Microsoft declared that it gave the priority to the improvement of the safety of Windows XP and that of Windows 2003 Waiter before finishing the development of Vista, which delayed its final version significantly.
During its development, Vista was the target of a certain number of criticisms. They especially related to the delay of the exit of the system, the more restrictive authorizations and the inclusion of a management system of digital rights.
HistoryThe development of Windows Vista was announced in August 2001, as an intermediate version of Windows Seven ( Seven is a code name and of anything trade name does not precede.). This last having an important delay (one speaks about a coming out date in 2011, even if that is not official), Microsoft preferred to leave an intermediate version integrating certain functionalities Seven.
At present, one speaks right now about a successor with Windows Vista known under the name of Vienna code and which “is awaited” for 2010.
Many versions of test were put in-house circulation and were found with the hands of the public in a more or less legal way. These versions, comprising bugs for the majority (they are versions of development), and still resembled Windows XP.
In the beginning, Microsoft announced that several technologies and improvements would be available only under Windows Vista, but finally Avalon (code name of Windows Presentation Foundation) and Indigo, respectively graphic subsystem and of communications of Vista, will be carried under Windows XP; but, on the other hand, WinFS, the research service associated with the filesystem, will not form part of the system but will be delivered later in remote loading.
Then, Microsoft did not communicate any more on Vista until the WinHEC 2005, in April 2005. During this time, the development was cold, and the methods of development were reconsidered, before taking again this one, under the code of Windows NT 5.2, that is to say Windows Server 2003 Service pack 1. To WinHEC 2005, version 6.0.5048 is delivered to the developers.
Beta 1 arrived then and made the first improvements since the handing-over flat of the development process. Virtual files (basing itself on requests of research), new interface and really limited accounts (as under UNIX, so as to limit the damage caused by a malevolent or dysfonctionnelle application).
Difficulties of development
The final version of the operating system officially left on January 30th, 2007 in version box for the private individuals and was available as of on November 30th, 2006 in version RTM for the companies (Entreprise version).
Its development will have been also long because Microsoft had to correct certain black spots of the previous versions, like instability, the problem of the fragmentation and the security breaches, inter alia.
Vista was to integrate a new filesystem (Win FS) which was supposed being a revolution in the management of the files on a PC. Finally after some appearances in the first versions alpha of Vista (Longhorn), Win FS was abandoned because it was too slow and at all loan.
A reversal also was made on the level manage it Vista project which was replaced by the manager of the teams of Microsoft Office. This one being known to always deliver in time the software for which it was responsible.
A certain number of elements which were to form a whole suitable for Windows Vista , like Avalon (code name of Windows Presentation Foundation), the system of user interface, '' Indigo '', the management system of connections network, like Internet Explorer 7, Windows Media Player 11 or Movie Maker 3 are available separately for the users of Windows XP.
Date-keys of the development of Windows Vista
May 2001: beginning of the development of version of Windows intended to succeed Windows XP for the end of the year 2003;
- June 12th, 2002: Milestone 1 - Build 3646 , founded on the code of Windows XP;
- July 28th, 2002: Milestone 2 - Build 3663 and first captures of screens presented to the public;
- September 23rd, 2002: Milestone 3 - Build 3683 , visually very near to Windows XP, but offering a side bar and including an outline of WinFS;
- October 20th, 2002: escape of a version of development (build 3683) which is available for the first time on Internet;
- February 19th, 2003: Milestone 4 - Build 4008 , new topic Plex , new installor, news bars tasks and new Internet Explorer;
- March 28th, 2003: Milestone 5 - Build 4015 , introduction of the virtual files;
- April 25th, 2004: Milestone 7 - Build 4074 , introduction of a new topic of icons and topic Jade ;
- August 27th, 2004: Microsoft announces the carryforward of the exit of the successor of Windows XP, and that large changes were going to take place on the version under development, in particular by being based on the code of Windows 2003 Waiter and by incorporating in it only the functionalities necessary. Functionalities like WinFS and NGSCB being cancelled or being deferred to later;
- September 7th, 2004: Longhorn D1 - Build 3790 , first version based on the code of Windows 2003;
- April 1st, 2005: Longhorn D1 - Build 5048 ;
- July 22nd, 2005: Microsoft reveals the official name of its future grinding, Windows Vista ;
- July 27th, 2005: release of the first version Beta 1 - Build 5112 , reserved with the beta-testers and the professionals, and who makes many modifications made to the interface and Shell, as well as new icons high-resolution, a new interface with Internet Explorer and parental control;
- February 21st, 2006: release of the first version known as feature supplements with the beta-testers and the TAP. Interface Aero available;
- May 23rd, 2006: release of the version Beta 2 - Build 5384 , only reserved to the subscribers MSDN and Microsoft TechNet
- June 8th, 2006: beta 2 is at the disposal of all;
- September 1st, 2006: release of the version RC1 (Release Candidate) - Build 5600 , only reserved for a restricted group of beta testers;
- September 6th, 2006: the version RC1 is accessible to the Technet subscribers and MSDN;
- September 14th, 2006: the version RC1 is available for everyone;
- October 6th, 2006: release of the version RC2 - Build 5700 , only reserved for beta testers;
- October 7th, 2006: the version RC2 is available for everyone;
- November 8th, 2006: release of the version RTM (Release To Manufacturing = final) - Build 6000 ;
- November 15th, 2006: the subscribers of the community of developers MSDN, Technet and Technology Program Adoption, see themselves granting the possibility of downloading the final version;
- November 30th, 2006: official exit of Windows Vista for the companies and professionals, available only for the holders of a specific license on the platform of remote loading of Microsoft;
- January 30th, 2007: official exit of Windows Vista for the general public with the first versions boxes.
Axes of development of Windows Vista
Microsoft states to have developed Windows Vista according to the axes clearly , trustful , and connected :
- Clearly: research tools are integrated into various places in the system: fenestrate of the explorer, finely to start, etc Windows Vista also has a concept of “virtual file”, already works about it under rival systems. A virtual file is a file XML which contains a bond constantly updated towards a real file. It also introduces new icons with the vectorial format, allowing of the redimensionner without loss of quality. The word also refers to the transparencies in the user interface.
- Trustful: Windows Vista is structured differently of the previous models, which enables him to offer, according to Microsoft, a better protection against the Computer virus, towards, pirate S and the majority of the malevolent programs.
- Connected: Windows Vista offers a support improved of the peripheral S or connected computers.
Main new things
Among the innovations:
- 64 bits
- Management of the processors Dual core, more and more present on the market general public.
- native Management of the IPv6 with compatibility IPv4.
- Architecture DotNet
- Windows Presentation Foundation
- the graphical interface Aero
UAC (To use Account Control): access control user
- Windows Communication Foundation
- Windows PowerShell (in the past Monad)
- DirectX 10
- PatchGuard (Kernel Patch Protection)
- fast Starting
- Consumption of reduced energy
- Protection of the accounts and the data
- New organization
- RSS feeds ( RSS )
- Synchronization of the peripherals
- Outil of repair to starting
- increased Stabilité
- Copies hidden of file (Shadow Copies Protection)
- Chiffrement of the data
- fast Réflexes
- Amélioration of research in network
- Documents XPS (code name Subway )
- Mécanisme of authentification improved
- improved Tools Internet
- All the versions on only one disc
- WRP: Windows Resource Protection
Protection of contents at exit
Vista underwent a total recasting of the elements of the system center of exploitation in order to ensure the protection of the contents called “contained of the first quality” (HD-DVD, Super Audio CD, Blu Ray). This protection applies only to the contents of the HD explicitly protected by their owner.
In practice several techniques will be used for this protection of contents HD:
- Use of material certified HDCP (this included the video chart, the chart its, cables connecting it to a screen also comprising a chip of protection HDCP to him).
- Reading in degraded quality.
- Desactivation of functionalities on the material not integrating the protection of contents HDCP (example: emission only on numerical channels of a chart its and this on the certified exits).
- single Identifier of the material.
- Revocation of peripheral “nonin conformity” remotely (cases of derivation for the copy or apparatus whose Firmware was modified to copy the contents for example, to see Dézonage).
Each one of these measurements will be taken with discretion of each editor of contents HDVP.
These measurements make to the object of many criticisms.
Windows Vista, contrary to Windows XP, can adapt to the various components and exploit certain material functionalities. WinSAT can be also used to know if the graphics card is compatible with the interface Aero and thus to activate it. The tool is not carried out automatically during a change of material. It is accessible in the control panels where it provides a note from 1 to 5.9 to your PC (the maximum value could be updated if the peripherals exceed of too this value). The plays under Vista can benefit from this system and specify the note minimum and the note recommended to be able to play. It is however only as information and nothing prevents from playing if pre-necessary are not present for them. Each rank corresponds according to Microsoft to a type of material recommendation. Certain recommendations seem contradictory, this is why the detail does not appear in the list below.
Grade 1: This rank corresponds at least material necessary for the execution of Windows Vista. A computer of this type could be intended only for simple applications like office automation or navigation on Internet.
- Rank 2: This second rank corresponds to a computer making it possible to carry out the same tasks as a computer of Grade 1 but under conditions, more pleasant. This second rank is identical to Grade 1 to which would without be added the multi-media one to reach the high-definition. To note that the nonconformity of the graphics card DirectX 9 will not make it possible this type of machine to carry out Aero under good conditions. One can however, and in spite of the recommendations of the development team, to force his execution. That will generate a significant decrease of the performances, the great majority of the effects applied not being managed by the GPU.
- Rank 3: Here the computer which is used as a basis for the reception of the Argent logo for Vista. It is about the standard model of execution of the environment Windows Vista. These computers will be able to make function the majority of the current applications, including in high-definition, according to the desired resolution and the precise characteristics of the computer.
- Rank 4: This rank indicates the computers on which Vista will be carried out under very good conditions. This configuration corresponds roughly to the new computers of line entry in April 2006. These computers will carry out correctly Aero Glass with activation of the composition of posting. They will be able to make in the case of function under good conditions the elements of Media Center a configuration with 2 tuners at the maximum. The streaming high-definition will not be managed either. The crucial factors truly of this configuration remain the quantity of random access memory and the power of the graphics card.
- Rank 5: On these configurations, Vista will be carried out with the maximum of effects and to the maximum of its possibilities. This type of computers corresponds to the high-end in June 2006. The computers which will leave thereafter and which will be even more powerful will remain with this rank of 5, reflecting overall the intrinsic possibilities of the machine.
Procedure of installation
Windows Vista includes a new system of installation, based on files images directed files carrying the extension *.wim, and which will allow an entirely graphic procedure and a complete installation in less than twenty minutes on a new PC (the duration is higher in the event of update).
All the necessary informations with the installation (key of the product, name of the computer, etc) are requested from the user at the beginning, in order to propose an installation without interruption. The system will also make it possible to facilitate the integration of software, pilots and updated.
The various user interfaces
Windows Vista Aero: This graphic mode includes the support of the 3D, animations, the effects special and the transparency. The whole being produced thanks to the DWM which requires at least a video chart compatible DirectX 9 and PixelShader 2.0. The DWM produces a made up office or returned windows are made and placed in a buffer memory. This technology makes it possible to make disappear a phenomenon of accumulation of images when an application in background ceases answering. It also makes it possible to make the reading video more fluid and to use an office completely integrated with DirectX.
- Windows Vista BASIC: This graphic mode does not include the support of the 3D because that would require a powerful PC, but on the other hand it will include the special animations and effects of Windows XP. Certain options, like the transparency, are removed to relieve the graphics card. The DWM not being present on this interface, all the problems of accumulation of images and video reading will be present as with Windows XP. The DWM being charged to transfer information to the video chart, returned will thus be made on the level of the processor and not of the graphics card.
- Windows Classic: This graphic mode resembles that of Windows Me, 98 and 2000. It is less greedy in graphics card and random access memory but there are neither special effects, nor transparency.
Necessary hardware configuration
Windows Vista requires a recent and powerful material to function fully. According to Microsoft, the computers being able to make turn Windows Vista are classified under 2 names: Able Vista and Vista Premium Ready .
Able Vista : The computers Vista Capable must have a Processeur at least 800 MHz, 512 Mo of RAM and a graphics card supporting DirectX 9. This type of computer will not be able to support all the graphic characteristics of Vista, nor the user interface Aero.
- Vista Premium Ready : They are computers with a processor from at least 1 GHz, 1 Go of RAM, and a graphics card managing DirectX 9 (support of Shader Model 2.0) having at least 128 Mo of memory and supporting new the driver of Windows CE standard posting of computer will be able to activate and manage under acceptable conditions of performance the Aero interface. To note however that the power of the graphics card will have an direct impact on the performances and the fluidity of posting when the effects of transparency, very greedy in resources, are activated.
Just like Windows XP, Windows Vista is available in several versions according to the public concerned. The cost of the license is different for each version. Microsoft directs itself towards 6 versions (without counting the versions " N" , without Windows Media Player, intended for Europe). Moreover, they are available in 2 editions (32 or 64 bit):
- Windows Vista Choke : a reduced version which should be available only in the Developing country (of the same level as the version Starter Edition of Windows XP). Interface Aero nonavailable (version nonavailable in version " N" because not distributed in Europe).
- Windows Vista Family Edition Basic : intended for the general public. Interface Aero nonavailable (also available in version " N" without Media Player).
- Windows Vista Family Edition Premium : intended for the general public but with functions additional multimedias like the support of the High definition television (HDTV), of Windows Media Center, the creation of DVD (version nonavailable in version " N" because necessarily Player of Windows to make function the Media Center )…
- Windows Vista Professionnel includes: intended for the companies. It will integrate technologies of safeguard by the network and Chiffrement of the data (also available in version " N" without Media Player).
- Windows Vista Undertaken : intended for very the large companies (version nonavailable in version " N").
- Windows Vista Integral Edition : a full version including/understanding all technologies of the version Family Edition Premium and Professional, plus some supplements like the creation of Podcast and access to a Club to see films and to listen to music (version nonavailable in version " N" because necessarily Player of Windows includes).
This increase in the number of versions, according to the rumors, would be intended to improve the profitability of the sales of Windows.
Moreover, each one of these versions exist in four types of different commercial licenses:
- license supplements (first license, not requiring a former version of Windows, allows also the update or the reinstalment without erasing all the existing files)
- updated license (requires a license of Windows former, checked to the installation, and allows the update by preserving the files and preferences of the user without erasing all the partition)
- license OEM intended normally for the retailers of materials which can the préinstaller on the new sold PC; the versions OEM become then related to the machine ( BIOS-Locked ), and are not supported by Microsoft. It is possible in certain salesmen to acquire versions OEM without material (in this case, there is no support neither on behalf of Microsoft, nor of the retailer, apart from the automatic updates). For the large manufacturers, specific tariffs of these individual licenses OEM acquired in great number are marked NFR and cannot be resold separately material to which the préinstallée license (identified by a label stuck on the material) was attached.
- license in packs for deployment on important sites, offers intended for the organizations.
Caution: versions OEM do not support the update (all the files and preferences users are lost in the event of installation or of reinstalment! It is essential to make a complete safeguard of the files and preferences before the installation).
All the versions require activation in line or by telephone of the license (activation can be carried out to the maximum 30 days after the installation and the first starting, after which, Windows will function in reduced mode only making it possible to connect themselves to Internet to charge the components with update of Microsoft and to activate the license). Activation takes account of the material, except for the licenses site where the activated licenses are signed by the organization and controllable remotely.
If Windows detects that the key used for the installation is not legal, it will fall into a limited mode or only the functions of setting has days, of activation and of purchase of another key will be available.
Independently of the type of commercial license used, it is possible to resolve the functions of a version of Vista towards those of a higher version without reinstalment, by buying a license on line either at Microsoft, or near the retailer. However it is not envisaged to pass from a version 32 bits to a version 64 bits by this system (it will then be necessary to acquire a new complete license).
License of use
Beyond the rights and restrictions met in the Licenses of use of the software under copyright, the license of use of Vista specifies the following rights and restrictions:
Commun run with all the versions
One can assign each license of Vista only with one physical material. The partitions and the blades, as well as the devices allowing a multiplexing of several materials, each one are regarded as only one distinct material.
- Each material laid off can use to the maximum only two processors (only one for the versions Starter and Home BASIC), within the limit of 8 hearts per processor.
- Each copy can be used only by one user at the same time, independently of the distant accesses, regulated differently according to the versions.
- It is possible to carry out and publish benchmark of .NET under certain conditions.
- Vista is guaranteed one year after the purchase (except in the case of the licenses OEM which can possibly be guaranteed only by the retailer, and licenses NFR only guaranteed by the manufacturers of material), and the corrective measures sent within the framework of this guarantee each one are guaranteed 30 days.
- It is possible to use Vista without activating it only during one limited time. Activation sends at Microsoft following information: version, language, key of recording, protocol Internet used, and of information derived from the hardware configuration. It is not possible any more to use Vista without activating it last a certain time (except connecting via Internet to a Microsoft site allowing to activate the license).
- the physical changes can require a reactivation of the software.
- Punctually, the activation and the legality of the license are reverified. Transmitted information is the key of recording and addresses IP*. Microsoft commits itself not using this information to contact or identify the user.
- In the event of failure of the checks, Vista functions in restricted mode, prohibiting the access to certain functionalities, or preventing the setting-with-day of the system.
- Use of the format MP4 for a personal use only.
- the font faces can be used only for posting and the impression. It is possible to share these police forces only in the conditions suitable for each one or temporarily for an impression.
- the sounds, images, icons and media of the software cannot be divided with other people.
- Within the framework of the management of the rights of the numerical media, the user agrees to download lists of revocation when it downloads licenses for copyrighted contents. These lists make it possible to prohibit Windows Vista to read certain copyrighted contents.
- When the user downloads licenses for the reading of contents, it agrees to download these lists of revocations. The user can have to accept certain setting-with-day to be able to read certain contents.
- Microsoft is authorized to use information of the computer, reports/ratios of errors and reports/ratios of malware, and to communicate this information with thirds to improve their products and services. (to be noted that the sending of this information at Microsoft is not obligatory)
- the setting-with-day of the software can come only from Microsoft or another authorized source by Microsoft.
- One cannot use services Internet to harm to them nor to have access to data without authorization.
- One cannot work around the technical limitations of the software nor to carry out Reverse engineering.
- a certain number of services Internet are delivered with the software. Microsoft is authorized to stop at any time the operation of these services. Those can not inform the user when they are connected to Internet. The user can choose to decontaminate these services. By using these services, it authorizes them to transmit the useful informations to their operation. This information respects engagements of Vista on the private life.
- It is not possible to lend or rent a specimen of the software.
- Only one backup copy is authorized, only usable for a reinstalment
- marked specimens NFR ( Not for Resale ) cannot be resold. That generally relates to the specimens sold with new computers.
- the distant accesses are authorized.
- One can réassigner the license with a new computer a number of times limited to the numbers of activation (3).
- the user accepts that automatic updates of the firmware of the material infra-red are carried out.
- In the event of damage due to the use of Windows Vista, the user can obtain repair only with height of the price of the software, and only for direct damage. That is valid even if Microsoft could be informed of the possibility of the damage.
In any transfer of information implying a network of the type TCP-IP, address IP must be transmitted to establish the communication between different the components. This information is thus not used by Microsoft but is by the software of activation.
Windows Vista Family Edition Basic
the installation of Basic Vista Family Edition on an emulator or a virtual machine is not authorized.
- It is possible to connect to 5 peripherals to reach the software installed on the computer laid off to use the services of files, the services of impression, the phone services, the services of information by Internet and the divisions of connection to Internet.
Windows Vista Family Edition Premium
the installation of Vista Family Edition Premium on an emulator or a virtual machine is not authorized.
- It is possible to connect to 10 peripherals to reach the software installed on the computer laid off to use the services of files, the services of impression, the phone services, the services of information by Internet and the divisions of connection to Internet.
Windows Vista Professional
- It is possible to connect to 10 peripherals to reach the software installed on the computer laid off to use the services of files, the services of impression, the phone services, the services of information by Internet and the divisions of connection to Internet.
- It is possible to carry out an installation outdistances on a lan, which will be usable only from the station associated with the license.
- It is possible to carry out divisions of distant sessions
Windows Vista Undertaken
- It is possible to quantify the partitions of the hard drive (see BitLocker Drive Encryption).
Windows Vista Integral Edition
- It is possible to carry out a backup copy (for example a waiter network), which can be used on all the stations having a license, within the limit of the lan.
- It is possible to carry out divisions of distant sessions
- It is possible to connect as many peripherals as one wishes it to reach the software installed on the computer laid off at ends other than for example the synchronization of data between peripherals.
- It is possible to connect to 25 peripherals to reach the software installed on the computer laid off to use the services of files, the services of impression, the phone services, the services of information by Internet and the divisions of connection to Internet.
- It is possible to use Vista Édition Integral on a virtual machine. In this case, one cannot reach the data protected numerically (including BitLocker) since the system of virtualisation (however, of the manufacturers of waiters their own material solutions of protected encoding of the memory supports propose, including in case of theft of material).
SafetyIn July 2006, the research team of Symantec, anti-virus software publishers and of safety, criticized the fact that Windows Vista contains a great number of lines of codes new and not tested, in particular pile IP, and that Microsoft carried out the suppression of most of code tested to replace it by a new code not checked, introducing with the passage of new security breaches pointed of the finger by Symantec. Microsoft stated to have corrected the faults announced in beta release 2, but Symantec specified that if it were reassuring that Microsoft corrected these defects, there was not any doubt that other faults were going to be discovered in the future.
In June 2007, a member of the direction of the strategy safety from Microsoft, Jeffrey R. Jones, indicates in a report/ratio that only one security breach of an elevated level remained not clogged six months after the launching of Vista. As comparison, it specifies that the number of security breaches of the same level unsolved was higher for the systems such as Windows XP, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 or Linux Ubuntu six months after their launching. The methodology of comparison employed by Jeffrey R. Jones is criticized by certain actors in computer security.
McAfee, another anti-virus software publisher and of safety, declared that Windows Vista would be even protected than the previous models of Windows.
The newspaper Networks-Télécoms.net reports what it describes as “beautiful fault”, namely that the DVD of Windows Vista gives access a partition Windows XP as an administrator mode without having to enter of password.
Numerical management of the rightsThe integration of the numerical Management of the rights (DRM) in the operating system Windows Vista, and in particular the Video Protected Path (PVP), which implies technologies like the High-bandwidth DIGITAL Content Protection (HDCP) and the Image Constraint Token (ICT), is another target of criticisms.
These functionalities were added to Windows Vista following an arrangement between Microsoft and the principal movie studios Hollywood iens. Microsoft defended itself by declaring that the movie studios and other content providers will not authorize the reading of their data on the computers that if they offer a sufficient protection. That will relate to, inter alia things, the reading of copyrighted contents on HD DVD and the discs Blu-ray.
Protected Video Path imposes that all the chain of visionnage of copyrighted contents is quantified, which implies that all peripheral S having to treat such contents, i.e. BIOS, the operating system, the Graphics card and the monitor, is certified by Microsoft. The conformity of the peripherals is checked with each reading of copyrighted contents, and in the event of nonconformity or of deterioration, either the system decontaminates the peripherals in question, or it degrades in an artificial way quality of their signal. In parallel, Microsoft maintains a list general of revocation of the peripherals which were compromised, and transmits this list to all the computers via the standard mechanisms of update. --> Peter Gutmann, a researcher New Zealand in computer security, published an analysis, and very discussed because considered to be partial , of the cost of the protection of contents of Windows Vista, based on public documents of Microsoft, and which relates to the financial plan, the performances or the utilisability. According to him, Microsoft imposes to the manufacturers certain forced so that their materials are recognized under Windows Vista, and these constraints in particular will involve a raising of prices of the material for all the users, even those not using Windows Vista, of the falls of reliability, and a prohibition to publish the complete specifications of the material (what harms the Interopérabilité particularly), inter alia, involving collateral damage in all computing industry. Robert Cringely has as for him produces a check analysis of the commercial consequences described by Peter Gutmann, and had a different conclusion.
Steve Gibson, of the Gibson Research Corporation declared at the time of the conference Security Now! to agree with the analysis of Peter Gutmann, who is according to him a description precise and factual of what is in the specifications of Microsoft.
An article of the Hardware.fr site regretted the fact that contrary to the reassuring advertisements of Microsoft and of the manufacturers, protection HDCP indeed had been installation, and involved many problems of reading with material not HD Ready . The article however noticed that it was still possible to circumvent protection in certain cases and with material allowing it, while passing by the analogical exit.
The Fondation for the free software ( Free Software Foundation ) conducts a campaign called “Bad Vista” against Windows Vista for these same reasons, and other functionalities of Vista considered as private attacks with the life of the users.
Access control user
The new functionalities of safety concerning the access control user (To use Account Control) were also the subject many debates.
Andrew Jaquith, analyst with the Yankee Group declared that although the new functionalities of safety seem promising, they were well too talkative and tedious. Paul Thurrott, an enthusiast to support of Microsoft, qualified the thing of “very rotten trick”, being given the number of dialog boxes which the user must validate for only carrying out of the basic tasks. Later, it noted that the operation of the access control user had been improved in Beta 2 and was less tedious, but it also declared that Microsoft was always in the search of a balance between safety and the harmful effects. The access control user can however be decontaminated very simply in Windows Vista, but that withdraws any interest to him. Moreover, these dialog boxes do not prevent a user from carrying out a dangerous action: simply, it will have been warned.
Comparisons with Mac OS X
Another current criticism relates to the fact that some consider that Windows Vista copied specific functionalities of the system Mac OS X of Apple. According to Scott Spanbauer, journalist with PCWorld , the visual effects of Aero and the design of the icons and buttons strongly resemble those of Aqua, under Mac OS X.
Paul Thurrot, journalist with WindowsITPro , made similar comments, and made the remark that some of the new applications of Windows Vista seemed to be directly inspired by the equivalent applications under Mac OS X.
John Rizzo, journalist with EWeek , noticed that Windows Vista incorporated functionalities implemented for a long time in Mac OS X, as fast research and virtual files. NewYork Times points finger the strong resemblance between the gadgets of Vista and the Widget S already present in Mac OS X 10.4. All this led some to think that Aero was only one imitation of Aqua.
Apple had declared besides at the exit of Mac OS X “Redmond leave your photocopiers”. At the exit of Vista, it was known as “One did not think that they were going really to do it! ”
David Pogue, journalist of the NewYork Times also evokes with irony of the resemblances striking to Mac OS X Tiger, about which Microsoft speaks besides never. However, it was proven that several of these functionalities like " moment search" existed since official versions alpha going back to before the exit from Mac OS X Tiger.
Dominant position abuse
Microsoft, already condemned for Dominant position abuse in many countries (the United States, European Union, South Korea, etc), again drew the attention of the European commission with Windows Vista. The latter warned Microsoft concerning the non-observance of the laws on free the economic Concurrence. Vista claims an activation by Internet under 30 days, beyond whose the operating system enters in “limited” mode, in which the access to Internet for example is limited to one hour per day. In addition to the first activation which follows the purchase, a reactivation is requested from each time the user changes to a significant degree the material elements of PC (mother chart, etc). The number of these activations is limited to three: beyond, the user will have to contact the service activation by telephone of Microsoft to each reinstalment on a modified material. -->
European price of Windows Vista
The price to which Windows Vista in Europe is sold makes the object of criticism. Louis Naugès estimates that the prices charged in Europe were increased approximately 56% compared to those which are effective in the United States and Canada. The Web site Clubic as for him calculated that Windows Vista was comparatively sold between 87% and 91% expensive in France than in the United States. Microsoft France defended itself by evoking costs of translations, intermediaries and the transport, arguments judged “out of matter” because of the fact that the American users have access to the French version free.
Reduction of the autonomy of the laptops
Tests carried out by several Internet sites arrived at the conclusion that the use of the Aero interface of Windows Vista involved an electric overconsumption and reduced the autonomy of the portables from 10 to 30%. Microsoft admitted the impact of its interface on the autonomy of the laptops but of a fall from 1 to 4% only.
- .NET 3.0 and its components
- Windows Workflow Foundation
- Windows Communication Foundation
- Price of the products Microsoft
- Windows Vista on the site of Microsoft
|Random links:||Abbey of Penthemont | Helene Ahrweiler | Group of Miami | University of Wisconsin-Water Claire | Judgment of the magician | Association_de_musique_d'arts_de_la_Communauté|