Meyrin is a common Suisse of the Canton of Geneva.
HistoryWith the the Middle Ages, the territory of Meyrin is divided between two Seigneurie S, that of Livron and that of the lords of Meyrin. The latter reign on the current village where they have their residence, while De Livron has their strongholds with Cointrin and Mategnin. These grounds belong to the Pays of Gex, a baronnie of the Maison of Savoy since the middle of the 14th century. In 1536, the Bernois seize the area and impose the worship of the Réforme. The Bernese occupation lasts 30 years and allows an improvement of the living conditions. The return of the duke of Savoy in his possessions of antan in 1564 results in a bloody repression and the return of misery. In 1601, the territory of Gex is given to Henri IV of France following the Traité of Lyon. After one 17th century marked by the return of the Catholicism, the 18th century is completed on the end of the Ancien Mode and the Country of Gex knows the terror which reigns after the French revolution. After the annexation by the France of the republic of Geneva in 1798, the inhabitants of Meyrin can then enjoy the same political rights as the Genevese. In 1804, Napoleon Bonaparte becomes emperor. Its thirst for expansion plunges also the commune of Meyrin in the middle of the European history. In December 1813, the Austrian troops drive out the French forces of the Country of Gex and impose a painful occupation for the population of Meyrin. She lasts of the December 31st 1813 with the March 24th 1814 and subjects the 600 Meyrinois of then the financial expenses and terrors of the war. After this period of tension and under the terms of the treated of Paris of 1815, the commune of Meyrin is yielded by France to the Suisse in order to be again plain in Geneva, which is made the October 10th 1816.
DevelopmentThe development of Meyrin goes back to 1922, when the first runway of Cointrin is built. What will become an airport gives a dash to the commune. In 1954, the European Organization for the nuclear research (CERN) is installed on the territory of the commune and extends later to horse on the free-Switzerland border. The presence of the international airport, from now on connected to the highway A1, is thus an asset to support the reception of the international organizations.
In the Years 1960, Meyrin saw a complete metamorphosis, passing from a modest village of 3200 inhabitants in at a city of more than 14.000 inhabitants and of almost 19.000 in 1980. Meyrin is indeed chosen by the Genevese authorities to accommodate the first Cité-satellite of Switzerland, built according to the urban ideas inspired by Le Corbusier.
Quality of lifeOne of the characteristics of Meyrin is its multiculturality (more than 142 nationalities are represented in the commune). This diversity of nationalities is a reality as of the construction of the city in 1963 and justifies the creation of many associations with an aim of bringing closer the various cultures and of supporting a harmonious cohabitation between the inhabitants of the commune. In the same concern of ensuring a quality of life, the authorities meyrinoises take care of the safeguarding of the environment (nearly 50% of the territory is composed of surfaces agricultural and timbered and a protected natural reserve shelters two Marais which are among the last of the canton of Geneva).
- International airport of Geneva
- European Center of nuclear research (CERN)
- Hewlett-Packard (European seat)
- Pouly Tradition
- Roger Dubuis
|Random links:||Galactose | Ludovico Einaudi | Church Holy-Cross of Angers | Adolphe Tabarant | Thibaut Kerhervé | 104_AVANT_JÉSUS_CHRIST|