HistoryAfter the pathetic interlude MP4-18, the leaders of the team McLaren decided to present the car of season 2004 in an anticipated way, to have a long time of development, and thus to join again with the victory. Engineers Adrian Newey (aerodynamic) and Mike Coughlan (mechanical) were thus inspired by the radical MP4-18, by softening some the concept. The MP4-19 thus takes again of it the frayed muzzle and the principle of the double skittle, but let us bridge them are resserés around the engine. The engine is always V10 Mercedes, and the tires are Michelin. Unfortunately, the tests will reveal an unreliability and of performance of the new creation of Woking, vis-a-vis cars more radical (Williams FW26) or more succeeded (Renault R24, BAR Honda 006 and especially Ferrari F2004).
As of starts season, it is the disaster: the MP4-19 is not nowhere in terms of pure performance, and its reliability is disastrous: in seven races, the money arrows glanent only five points (to be compared with the 89 of Ferrari or the 52 of Renault). Räikkönen finished only two of the first seven tests of the season, registering a point. Resserement of let us bridge does not allow a very fragile engine to breathe, from where a cascade of abandonments. The decision is then for a long time made to introduce a version " B" MP4-19 to try to save what still can the being.
Its entry in competition is planned for the Grand Prix of France. The things are arranged somewhat for the Anglo-German stable at the time of the North-American round: benefitting from the downgrading from Williams and Toyota to take seven points in Canada, and glanant five other points in the United States, for the last race of the MP4-19 before the service entrance of MP4-19B. This single-seater will remain in the history of the team like one of her greater failures…
Season 2004: (until the Grand Prix of France)
- Departures in Grands Prix: 18 (David Coulthard: 9, Kimi Räikkönen: 9)
- Abandonments: 8 (David Coulthard: 3, Kimi Räikkönen: 5)
- Victoire (S): 0 (David Coulthard: 0, Kimi Räikkönen: 0)
- Podium (S): 0 (David Coulthard: 0, Kimi Räikkönen: 0)
- Pole Position (S): 0 (David Coulthard: 0, Kimi Räikkönen: 0)
- Better Qualification: David Coulthard: 8th, Kimi Räikkönen: 4th
- Better Turns in race: 0 (David Coulthard: 0, Kimi Räikkönen: 0)
- Marked Points: 17 (David Coulthard: 9, Kimi Räikkönen: 8)
- Positions with the Championships of the World:
|Random links:||Dogfish of Malaysia | Cosmological principle | Championships of Europe of athletics 1934 | Amathonte | I know all | Hassan_Khaled|