The May 18th is the 138e Jour of the Année (139e in the event of Leap year) of the Gregorian Calendrier.
1559 : Fire known as of the Universities to Bourges, which starts in a building being next to the buildings of the university, near the cathedral. Surrounded by all sides by the flames, this one is seriously damaged: the roofs of the vaults are destroyed, as well as the organ, and even the frontage is touched, with the destruction of the skylight of the pinion.
- 1980 : Eruption of the Holy Mount Helens, in the state of Washington which makes an about sixty victims and devastation all on approximately 200 km of ray. That is equivalent to 500 times the explosion of Hiroshima.
- Canada: the Prime Minister Stephen Harper names Pierre Duchesne at the station of Lieutenant-governor of Quebec to replace Lise Thibault.
- Following a scandal, Paul Wolfowitz announces that it will present its resignation the June 30th 2007 of the position of president of the the World Bank.
- France: composition of the Gouvernement Francois Fillon announces.
- India: Bomb attack in the large mosque of Hyderâbâd causing the death of nine people and wounding around fifty.
- 1616: Johann Jakob Froberger, German Type-setter († 1667).
- 1779 : Felix Louis Herminier, Pharmacy N and Naturalist French († 1833).
- 1812 : Adolph Eduard Grube, zoologist Polish († June 23rd 1880)
- 1872: Bertrand Russell, Mathematician, Philosopher and moralist, Nobel Prize of literature 1950 († February 2nd 1970)
- 1897: Frank Capra, Realizer, producing Scenario writer and American († 1991)
- 1901: Henri Sauguet, French type-setter († June 22nd 1989)
- 1904: Jean Gabin, French actor († November 15th 1976)
- 1912: Richard Brooks, American realizer
- 1913: Charles Trenet, Singer French († February 19th 2001)
- 1949: Chris Seydou, large dressmaker Malian
- 1920: Karol Wojtyła, the Pope Jean-Paul II († April 2nd 2005)
- 1927: François Nourissier, writer French
- 1930: Gift L. Lind, American astronaut
- 1933: Bernadette Chirac, French political woman
- 1939: Giovanni Falcone, judge Palerman anti-Maffia († May 23rd 1992)
- 1954: Eric Gerets, Belgian footballer
- 1955: Chow Yun-Conceited person, Acteur hongkongais
- 1956: Catherine Corsini, Director and French Scenario writer
- 1960: Yannick Noah, Tennis French man become also singer
- 1962: Sandra Cretu, German Singer.
- 1980 : Michael Llodra, French tennis player.
526 : the pope Jean Ier
- 1450: Sejong Large the, king of the dynasty Korea Chosŏn (° 1397).
- 1521 : Guillaume de Croÿ, count de Beaumoint, lord of Revin and Fumay, large Baillif of the County of Hainaut under Philippe the Beautiful, governor of the Provinces of North during the absence of the duke of Burgundy, knight of the Golden Fleece (1491), favorite and adviser intimates Charles Quint.
- 1675 : Father Jacques Inlays, Explorateur and missionary Jésuite French, discoverer of the the Mississippi with Louis Jolliet. (° June 1st 1637).
- 1780 : François-Marie Coger, man of the church and French man of letters (born in Paris in 1723).
- 1799 : Pierre-Augustin Charon de Beaumarchais, writer French (° 1732).
- 1911 : Gustav Mahler, Austrian Type-setter (° 1860).
- 1980 : Ian Curtis, Singer
- 1990: Jill Ireland, British Actress (° 1936).
- 1995 : Elizabeth Montgomery, American Actress
- 1995: Henri Laborit, Scientific, Philosopher and writer French, (° 1914).
- 2001 : Diane Barrier-Desseigne, French businesswoman, with the head of the group of casinos Lucien Barrier (° 1957)
- Arnold Orville Beckman, inventor of the pH measures,
- Elvin Jones, Batteur of Jazz, having played a long time with John Coltrane, (° 1927).
- Serge Turgeon, man of Québécois theater, (° 1946).
- 2007 : Pierre-Gilles of Genoa, Nobel Prize of physics 1991, for its work on the Liquid crystals and Polymeric S. (° October 24th 1932)
- international Day of the museums
Catholic and orthodoxe saints of the day
- Potamion d' Héraclée († towards 340), bishop into High Egypt.
- Théodote the Innkeeper († 303), martyr with Ancyre with Alexandra, Phaïne, Juliette
- Venance de Camérino († 250), martyr close to Ancône.
- Julitte, one of the seven young girls martyrdoms, drowned with Ancyre towards 304, current Ankara, to have refused to take part in a procession which led the statues of Diane and Minerve to plunge them in a lake.
Catholic saints of the day
- Cora, Coralie, Corinne. (local Festival)
- Holy Eric. (local Festival)
Orthodoxe saints of the day
- David and Tatchan of Georgia († 693), brothers martyrs.
Beats-smg: Gegožė 18 Be-X-old: 18 траўня Fiu-vro: 18. lehekuu päiv Nds-nl: 18 meie Simple: May 18 Zh-yue: 5 月 18 號
|Random links:||Joseph Hyacinthe François of Paule Stone | Nouaye | Laura Fredducci | Goran Rubil | Joseph d' Arbaud|