Maurice Rheims (Versailles, the January 4th 1910 - March 6th 2003) was a Commissaire-priseur, historian of art and novelist French. He was member of the French Academy. By its second marriage (1950-1980) with Lili Krahmer (1930-1996), it was related with the branch “von Worms” of the Famille Rothschild. He is the father of the photographer BETTINA Rheims, (author of the official portrait of Jacques Chirac, chair republic), and of the actress-writer Nathalie Rheims. His/her son, Louis, lawyer, are deceased, in 1988, at 33 years, of a cancer. (http://www.laconference.net/rentree_2003/discours_dethomas.pdf)
Born in a Lorraine family millers and civils servant (his father, soldier, were general), it made its studies with the Parisian college Janson de Sailly, before entering to the School of Louvre. Maurice Rheims was also graduate School of the High Studies (Sorbonne). During the war of 1939-45, he was officer of Ve Génie; then the command as a second of the first group of commandos parachutists in Algeria exerted.
Appraiser of 1935 with 1972, Maurice Rheims was one of the first to treat art of the Années 1900 and to make known a style up to that point scorned, thus saving destruction several brilliances testimonys of this time (Guimard House…)
He intervened in the evaluation of the Dation of works of Bonnard and Picasso. He was also, since 1972, expert close the Court of Appeal and the Court of Bankruptcy of Paris.
Its style is illustrated, for example in Holy Office , by an account rich in references, dense and sarcastic.
Elected with French Academy on May 20th, 1976, it was received there on February 17th, 1977. It thus occupied the 32ème vacant armchair left by the death of Robert Aron. It was Grand-croix of the Legion of honor and had received other decorations like the Military Cross (four quotations); the Medal of Resistance… He was Officier of Arts and the Letters.
- "Museums of France" (Hatchet)
- " Carpaccio in Dordogne" (Julliard)
- " The Horse of argent" (Julliard)
- " The 1900" Object; (Graphic Arts and trades)
- " The Situation of painting contemporaine" (Hazan)
- " Art 1900 or the style Jules Verne" (Graphic Arts and trades)
- " Sculpture with the XIXe siècle" (Graphic Arts and trades)
- " Strange Life of the objets" (Plon)
- " Life of artiste" , crowned by the French Academy (Grasset)
- " The Violin maker of Mantoue " (Flammarion) 1972
- " High Curiosité" (Robert Laffont) 1975
- " Main" (Julliard) 1977
- " The Hell of the curiosité" (Albin Michel) 1979
- " Collectionneurs" (Ramsay) 1981
- " The Office" Saint; (Gallimard) 1983
- " Attila. Leave your little sister tranquille" (Flammarion) 1985
- " Harlem Noir" (the Difference) 1985
- " Attics of Sienne" (Gallimard) 1990
- " Fortunes of Apollon" (the Threshold) 1990
- " Dictionary of the words sauvages" (Larousse) 1991 - neologisms
- " Apollo with Wall Street" (the Threshold) 1992
- " In all my états" (Gallimard) 1993
- " Forests of argent" (Gallimard) 1995
- " A memory vagabonde" (Gallimard) 1997
- " Crisis mine" (Odile Jacob) 1998
- " New voyage around my chambre" (Gallimard) 2000
|Random links:||Center French first aid and of civil protection | ACE Rome | Helmet of motor bike | Let' smotiv | NABOB | Büsingen|