See also: Mason
Its inhabitants is called the “Mâconnais”.
The blazon of Mâcon has as a heraldic definition: “Of mouths with three money rings”. This blazon would be used since the Renaissance.
The city extends on Western bank from the the Saone, between the Bresse with the east and the mounts of the Beaujolais in the west. Mâcon is the southernmost city of the area Burgundy, which gives him with its Romance tiled roofs and its coloured frontages a small air of city of the south. It is located at sixty-five kilometers in the north of Lyon and at four hundred kilometers of Paris.
HistoryThe Agglomeration mâconnaise car its origin of the establishment of a Oppidum by the people of the Éduens, undoubtedly at the beginning of. Known then under the name of Matisco , the city quickly will develop during the first two centuries of our era.
During the 4th century, the city will be strengthened.
With the the Middle Ages, Mâcon was the chief town of a county attached to the Duché of Burgundy, located at the end of the bridge on the Saone leading to the fields of Bresse Duché of Savoy. The city ordered the access to current Val Lamartinien, where the southern end of the Coast of Burgundy joined the first buttresses of the mounts of the Beaujolais wine, opening the way with the flat rich person of the the Loire.
Charles IX, coming from Trawl-net, stops on June 3rd, 1564 in the city at the time of royal sound Tour de France (1564 - 1566), accompanied by the Cour and Large by the kingdom: his/her brother the duke of Anjou, Henri de Navarre, cardinal of Bourbon and Lorraine. The city is strategic: it is a main door of the kingdom potential for the Swiss ones or the German mercenaries, in the context of the wars of religion. It is accommodated there by the queen Jeanne of Navarre, said the “queen of the Protestants”, and thousand five hundred Protestants.
In 1789, the city became prefecture of the department of Saône-et-Loire lately created.
In 1814, the city was invaded by the Austrian armies then released twice by the French troops before being definitively occupied until the fall of the Empire. After the return of Napoleon and the Hundred Days, Mâcon and the Mâconnais were again taken by the Austrians.
CommunicationsMâcon is connected to the great close agglomerations by various transportation routes:
- Road infrastructures:
- Highway A6 (Axis Paris - Lyon)
- Highway A40 (Axis Mâcon- Geneva)
- National 6
- RCEA (Road Centers Atlantic Europe) which allows a direct circulation of Annemasse Nantes or Bordeaux
- railway Infrastructures:
- Station TGV Mâcon-Loach-TGV (Axes Paris - Marseilles and Paris - Geneva)
- Station the SNCF Mâcon-City (Axes Dijon - Lyon and Dijon - Marseilles)
- river Infrastructures:
- the the Saone which allows via the the Rhone an access to the sea the Mediterranean
ImageSize = width: 700 height: 300 PlotArea = left: 50 bottom: 50 signal: 30 right: 30 DateFormat = x.y Period = from: 0 till: 80000 TimeAxis = orientation: vertical AlignBars = justify ScaleMajor = gridcolor: darkgrey increment: 20000 start: 0 ScaleMinor = gridcolor: lightgrey increment: 5000 start: 0 BackgroundColors = canvas: sfondo
BarData= bar: 1844 text: 1844 bar: 1962 bar: 1968 text: 1968 bar: 1975 bar: 1982 text: 1982 bar: 1990 bar: 1999 text: 1999 bar: 2005 text: 2005
PlotData= color: width barred: 14 align: left bar: 1844 from: 0 till: 10998 bar: 1962 from: 0 till: 29482 bar: 1968 from: 0 till: 34227 bar: 1975 from: 0 till: 39344 bar: 1982 from: 0 till: 38404 bar: 1990 from: 0 till: 37275 bar: 1999 from: 0 till: 34469 bar: 2005 from: 0 till: 34000
- Population agglomeration: 61.641 inhabitants (CAMVAL)
- Population urban surface: 104000 inhabitants.
The influence of Mâcon seems to intensify. It is one of the large basins of use of the department which is by far most dynamic (+ 13,5% of rise between 1999 and 2006) compared to the cities such as Châlon-sur-saône or Montceau-the-Mines which lose employment, in particular thanks to the many transportation routes and the proximity of Lyon.
To announce that the fall of the population of the city is done with the profit of a phenomenon of periurbanisation on the communes of the Mâconnais but also of Ain bordering. Therefore the area of influence of Mâcon, the “Large Mâconnais”, concentrates on three departments: the Saône-et-Loire, Ain and the Rhone. Thus, among the forty seven communes of less than ten thousand inhabitants of the urban surface, forty and one are in growth and six stable or very light fall.
the Downtown area of Mâcon extends from the place Gardon , in North, until the roundabout of Europe , in the South, of the Place of the Bar , in the West, to the quays bordering the Saone in the East of the city.
It also acts, in all logic, of the historical center of the city. The majority of the historic buildings are present there (Saint-Vincent Cathedral, Eglise Saint-Pierre…) as well as the two museums of the ville.
The Downtown area is composed of several districts rather different from/to each other: the district Saint-Anthony , is, with the Place with the Grasses , the historical heart of Mâcon, in spite of its relative distance of the Town hall. This district covers the northern part of the Downtown area, it is crossed by the street of Strasbourg and is made up small lanes. One finds there the Prefecture of Saône-et-Loire as well as the Old Saint-Vincent Cathedral commonly called the " Old Saint-Vincent".
More in the West is the Square of Peace , bordered by the Hospital, the Law courts, the Saint-Vincent Cathedral as well as the Small valley of Rigollettes and the district of Heritan .
On the edges of the Saone, the esplanade Lamartine recently underwent deep work of refitting and embellishment. The tortuous carpark and the damaged paving stones succeeded an underground car park of 2 levels, an esplanade increased and clearer, bars, a scene being able to accommodate all kinds of demonstrations, concerts and spectacles and installed on the Saone. The statue Lamartine, which throne on the esplanade, was entirely renovated. Small gardens now decorate the immense space which represents the esplanade Lamartine of Mâcon.
the North of Mâcon is cut into two, delimited by the roundabout of Neusdadt .
The North-East of Mâcon, as for him, is composed of various residential zones as well as sporting center of the city (course P.A.P.A, public swimming pool, C.R.E.P.S, club of oar, several grounds and football clubs, the Sport hall). The residential zones as for them are dominated by HLM with districts such as ZUP of Mâcon or the Boulevard of the United States (belonging administratively to the district of the Saugeraies ).
the South of Mâcon is composed as for him of three major zones.
the West of Mâcon is the least populated part city.
- Vine growing and breeding;
- river Port Industry L;
- Logistic and road transport;
- river Pleasure.
Mâcon is the seat of the Chamber of commerce and industry of Saône-et-Loire. It manages the river ports of Mâcon and Châlon-sur-saône through Aproport, Automobile CFA and the airports of Mason-Charnay, Saint-Yan and Trawl-net-Champforgueil.
- Undertaken with strong notoriety:
- Joker (fruit juice)
Surface: 2.704 hectares including 576 hectares of green areas.
- Sport S and Leisures: 73 clubs including 55 practiced associations, 40 sports, 14.506 sporting bachelors (either 42% of the population). Elected the most sporting city of France in 2001.
Academy of Mâcon, scale and national fame
- Alphonse of Lamartine, Poet, writer and Politician French which was born on October 21st, 1790 there;
- Mgr Gabriel Piguet, future bishop of Clermont-Ferrand and Just among the nations, which was born there on February 24th, 1887
- Lucie Aubrac (of her true name Lucie Bernard), resistant Frenchwoman who was born on June 29th, 1912 there;
- Georges Duby, historian;
- Henri Guillemin, historian who was born on March 19th, 1903 there.
- the father Liochon, grocer discovered in the emission the Small Rapporteur. A mural fresco pays homage to him;
- Henry Testot-Ferry, discoverer of the prehistoric site of the Rock of Solutré, and regular member of the Academy of Mâcon
|Random links:||Giulietta Masina | Farandole | Turn of Durin | The Bridge of Oye | RS-862|