Lunéville is a common French, located in the department of Meurthe-et-Moselle and the area Lorraine. Lunéville is one of the Sous-préfecture S of the department. The inhabitants of Lunéville are called the Lunévillois . In German the city is called Lünenstadt .
GeographyLunéville is located at the confluence of the Meurthe and the Vezouze, in the plain, with less than 30 kilometers in the south-east of Nancy and with 55 kilometers of the Saint-Dié-of-Vosges. The city is connected to the plain of Alsace by the Trunk road 4 (which makes it possible to join Strasbourg (120 kilometers)) and by the Trunk road 59 (which makes it possible to join Colmar (110 kilometers) and Sélestat (100 kilometers) by the Tunnel Maurice-Lemaire).
At the origin Lunae-Villa, then Lineatis-Villa in 1034, Lunaris-Villa in 1135, Linerville in 1140, Lunivilla in 1154 and still Liniville, Linéville, for finally arriving in Lunéville.
The etimologic assumptions never achieved the unanimity:
- the name could come from the the Moon because on the hill of Léomont was a temple dedicated to Diane, goddess of the night.
- it could come from the Gallic old man Llun or Llon which indicated a pleasant place
- it could be an ending of Lunae, which was in the beginning the name of the Vezouze.
Lunéville leaves the shade at the 10th century. Previously, there was with the confluence of the Meurthe and the Vezouze only of modest huts which were used as appointment of chasse.
It was also a required passage (bridge) on the road of the salt that the salt makers and merchants borrowed between Rosières, Vic-on-Pail, Marsal on the one hand and Deneuvre, the Alsace and the Burgundy on the other hand. This trade was source of revenue for Lunéville which took a toll with the passage of the bridge.
The city initially belonged to several German princes, before passing in the hands of Etienne, bishop of Toul and first count de Lunéville. Its descendants had the city until in 1055. In 1243, the county is attached to the Duché of Lorraine. Lunéville develops only starting from 1330 under the reign of the duke Raoul Ier.
The old feudal castle remained until in 1612, date on which Henri II, preferring Lunéville with Nancy, demolishes it and new built some. This one had a short life. Dismantled during the War Thirty Year old, it was completely destroyed when the duke Léopold, newcomer with Lunéville in 1702, chooses to build a modern palate: it is the current castle. Lunéville will be until in 1766 (date of fastening to the France) the semi-official capital of the Lorraine.
In 1786 on permission of Louis XVI the synagog is built. It is the first built in the kingdom since the Moyen-âge.
It is in Lunéville, in the living rooms of the Beauvau-Craon hotel, which was signed the February 9th 1801 the Traité of Lunéville by where temporarily the confrontation between the Austria is concluded from François II and the consular France of Bonaparte. This treaty allots to the France the Belgium and left bank of the the Rhine.
Lunéville made important great strides after the Guerre of 1870. Indeed, the Treated of Frankfurt signed in 1871, makes of Lunéville a frontier town. An important garrison is affected there is the city knows an surge of Alsatian repatriates or natives of the Moselle region, refusing to become German. Certain companies of these areas were delocalized in Lunéville. (This phenomenon is not specific to Lunéville: cities like Nancy or Belfort knew the same situation).
Lunéville is also re-elected for its royal manufacture of Faïence, whose production continues in the common neighbor of Saint-Clement (Faïence of Lunéville).
HeraldicThe city carries speaking weapons: gold to the band of azure charged with three money crescents. Those, adopted at the 15th century, are explained by the legend of Diane who prevailed a long time.
Erratum: About the crescents of the moon, it would act rather of Séléné goddess of the night, because Diane was the goddess of hunting. Alain, Gerard P, of Lunéville. Mr Alain, Gerard P, of Lunéville: Consult the page Diane: you will note that Diane is well the goddess of the Moon. The writer. The erratum is thus unfounded.
Mr Alain, Gerard P, of Lunéville: Consult the page Diane: you will note that Diane is well the goddess of the Moon. The writer. The erratum is thus unfounded. -->
In fact the blazon takes model of the blazon of the Duché of Lorraine (gold , with the band of mouths, charged with three let us alérions )
- Mechanical engineering, railway, electric and electronic
- Movable and toys (factory Villard and Weill closed in 1965)
- Canning facilities
- Antenna of the Chamber of commerce and industry of Meurthe-et-Moselle.
The mayor of Lunéville is Michel Closse since 1995.
Lunéville is chief town of two cantons:
- the Canton of Lunéville-North is made of part of Lunéville and communes of Anthelupt, Bauzemont, Bienville-the-Small, Bonviller, Courbesseaux, Crévic, Deuxville, Drouville, Einville-with-Jard the, Flainval, Hoéville, Hudiviller, Maixe, Raville-on-Sânon, Serres, Sommerviller, Valhey and Vitrimont (12 758 inhabitants);
- the Canton of Lunéville-South is made of part of Lunéville and communes of Bénaménil, Chanteheux, Chenevières, Crion, Croismare, Hénaménil, Hériménil, Jolivet, Laneuveville-with-Wood, Laronxe, Manonviller, Marainviller, Moncel-lès-Lunéville, Saint-Clement, Sionviller and Thiébauménil (22 197 inhabitants).
- Georges of the Tower (1593 - 1652), painter.
- Stanislas Leszczyński (1677 - 1766), king de Pologne of 1704 with 1709 and of 1733 with 1736 under the name of Stanislas Ier then duke of Lorraine and Bar until its death.
- Emmanuel Young stag (1705 - 1763), architect.
- Emilie of Chatelet (1706 - 1749), mathematician, amante of Voltaire, deceased in Lunéville.
- Charles-Alexandre of Lorraine (1712 - 1780), general governor of the Austrian Netherlands (1741 - 1780), large Master of the teutonic Order.
- the Abbot Gregoire (1750 - 1831), appointed clergy in 1789, lawyer of the Jews, blacks and slaves.
- Claude-Antoine-Gabriel de Choiseul (1760 - 1838), Even of France
- François Nicolas Benoit Haxo (1774 - 1838), major general of Napoleon, specialist in the citadels and fortifications.
- Antoine Charles Louis Lasalle (1775 - 1809), major general of Napoleon, count d' Empire.
- Emile Erckmann (1822 - 1899), writer, died with Lunéville.
- Charles Guerin (1873 - 1907), poet, born and died in Lunéville.
- Jean-Pierre Coffe (1938 -), presenter and author, born in Lunéville.
- Arsene Lejeune (1866 - 1938), architect.
- Jean Bastien-Thiry, plotter
- Cecile-Stanislas of Girardin, politicking
- Nicolas Guibal, painter
- Jean-Nicolas Jadot of City-Issey, architect
- Nicolas de Pigage,
- Louis of Lorraine,
- Gilbert Bauvin (1927 -), racing cyclist. (2nd of the Tour de France in 1956).
- Eric Mie (1972 -), author type-setter interpète and actor
- Maurice Chapleur (1912 - 2005), collector and inventor of the collection éponyme of motor bikes and bicycles.
- Jean-Pierre Cuny, scenario writer
- Bernard Keller: Politician
Tourist monuments and places
the Castle of Lunéville, (known as small Lorraine Versailles) is a chief of work of the architecture of the 18th century. High place of the Lights, under the reigns of Léopold Ier of Lorraine and Stanislas Leszczyński, It malheureusment, partly, was malheureusment destroyed in 2003 by a fire. Work is in hand to restore it; the gardens of the castle kept all their splendor.
the church Saint-Jacob, of the 18th century, style Rococo.
- the house of the Merchant, chief of work of the pink sandstone classical architecture of the Vosges.
- the synagog in the style of the 18th century, in withdrawal of the street and at the time behind a house because in 1786 the Jewish worship was only tolerated and was to thus remain discrete.
|Random links:||Paul Stanley | Camille Matignon | Renate Schmidt | Samaritaine (theater) | Sylvie Lussier | 1605|