Its inhabitants is called the langrois and the langroises , or Lingons .
The city is located on the Plateau of Langres which allows the passage of the Paris basin the valley of the the Saone, close to the source of the Marne. It is thus on the line of the division of water of the basins of the Seine, the the Rhone and the Meuse.
The four lakes tanks: Lac of Bind, Lac of Vingeanne, Lac of the Fly and Lac of Charms was built in order to feed out of water the Canal of the Marne in the Saone.
- Langres on Géoportail
- Chart of Langres on Via Michelin
- Satellite sight on Wikimapia
Localities and variations
Suburb of the Troughs, suburb of the Franknesses, suburb of Brevoines, Holy Saver, Arbelotte, suburb of Saint-Gilles, suburb of Buzon, Closes of Saint Anne, Ferme Seminar, suburb of the Moulin-Rouge, suburb of Louot, suburb of the 3 kings, suburb of the collinière, suburb Saint Didier.
Communes borderingIn the Canton of Langres:
- the Balesmes-on-Marne, Champigny-lès-Langres, Chatenay-Mâcheron, Humes-Jorquenay, Peigney, Perrancey-the-Old man-Mills, Saint-Ciergues, the Saint-Vallier-on-Marne and Saint-Geosmes.
List of the mayors of Langres
General adviser: Jean-Marie Voillemin.
Sub-prefect: Philippe Harang.
Bishop of Langres: Philippe Gueneley.
See also: Andemantunnum
After the decline related to the invasions, the city finds a prosperity with the Moyen-âge thanks to the growing political role of its bishop S.
With the the Middle Ages, Langres was the center of a immense Diocèse extending in the beginning on three provinces - Champagne, Burgundy and Franche-Comté - seat from a county as of the first times from monarchy. Some of its bishops were imperial police chiefs ( Missi dominici ) under Charlemagne. The bishops obtained the right of coinage at the 9th century and the authorization to name the military governor of the city in 927. The évêché of Langres became a duchy peerage about the 12th century: the bishops were at the same time Duc S and even of France.
The disorders of lead the city to reinforce its fortifications. Langres passes under royal supervision.
The Renaissance gives again prosperity at the city which sees building the most beautiful civil buildings, religious and soldiers who remain today.
Charles IX passes in the city at the time of royal sound Tour de France (1564 - 1566), accompanied by the Cour and Large by the kingdom: his/her brother the duke of Anjou, Henri de Navarre, cardinal of Bourbon and Lorraine.
XIXe century at our days
At the 19th century, a Citadelle “with the Vauban” comes to extend the strengthened field. It is circumvented by the Prussians at the time of the war of 1870
In 1972 Langres absorbs the commune of Corlée.
Two famous characters are native of Langres: Jeanne Mance born in 1606, first American Northern laic nurse and cofondatrice of the town of Montreal and Denis Diderot, Philosopher of the Age of Enlightenment, born in 1713, project superintendent of the Encyclopedia .
Today, Langres is a town of Art and Histoire, with important a architectural inheritance historical and . Since 2006, the setting in light of the principal monuments makes it possible to create a new atmosphere as of laying down it sun.
Langres in the encyclopedia Diderot
MonumentsLangres is classified town of art and history.
the Gallo-Roman Triumphal arch (towards 20 before J. - C.): today included in the ramparts, it is the single visible part of the decorative monuments of the Gallo-Roman time.
- the fortifications, of which part of type Bastion born: 3,5 km altered by the military Engineering. The ramparts of Langres were built over 2000 years. They cover 3,5 km, making the turn of the old city with its seven strengthened towers, its six doors and the Gallo-Roman door reminding that Langres was, the 2nd century, the capital of the people of Lingons, with:
- the Turn of Navarre and Orval (1511 - 1519): together defensive and diameter of 30 meters, in the south-west of the city, inaugurated by François the Ist Navarre tower 20 height meters has some 7 meters thickness walls and includes/understands two stages. It was covered as of the 19th century of an imposing frame in chestnut (visible of the interior) and of a conical roof. The tower of Orval places a revolving slope in order to serve the Navarre  tower; ;
- the door Henri IV (1604 - 1846) ;
the tower Saint-Ferjeux (1472): built on order of Louis XI, it protected south-east from the city. It is the first tower of artillery allowing the shooting on 360°. It comprises two stages of casemates intended for the origin to receive Couleuvrine S, with compartments with powder and ammunition. It was restored in 1842 ;
the tower of Small Sault (1517 - 1521) was built to protect the Western accesses from the city. Surrounded by 8 meters thickness walls, it is conceived to receive guns at various levels. A 5 meters broad staircase, starts on a large cylindrical central pillar supporting the four vaults on intersecting ribs of the first salle ;
- the tower Saint Jean (1540): the interior, partly filled, presents nothing any more but one low arched room, while the upper part forms a home of two stages. Formerly, the terrace could receive guns protecting the city on the northern side. It was transformed into military dovecote after the war of 1870 ;
- the door of the Mills (1647): they were for a long time the single Southern access of the city. It was bored at the origin of three openings (1 door central charretière and 2 doors side pedestrians), before preserving that two identical passages. The roof is made up of tiles in bois ;
- the door of the Composts: also called Neuve built by the genius in 1848 carries to also make junction with the door of the mills (in the south of the city) has two porch in the West of the ville ;
- the Boulière door in the West of the ville ;
- the door Skirt-Carries to the North of the ville ;
- the Turn Virot ;
- the door of the town hall: The North-West of the city, strengthened in 1592 and rebuilt in 1750, its guardroom of the door of the Town hall (1620)
the town hall (1776 - 1783): gift of the King Louis XV, built with the site of the old house of city, it was several times devastated by fires, whose most serious of 1892 was that. Remarkable elements:
- the triangular pediment supported by four Corinthian columns, drawn up above a perron of the staircase with double flight. It is carved of a cartouche to the weapons of the city. Repair in 1893
the hospital of Charity: the current hospital of Langres is a public corporation of health founded at the 12th century, which knew with the wire of the time of many architectural reorganizations. Most remarkable date from the end of the 18th century (gate, vault in 1770).
- the church Saint Martin's day (12th century - 15th century): original and complex, it presents 5 naves arched on intersecting ribs. Following a fire, the frontage and the bell-tower (bell-tower) were rebuilt between 1728 and 1745.
Châteu of the Mount (15th century): the civil construction most important of the still visible Middle Ages. A tower othogonale contains a staircase; each side is separated by a buttress and each stage underlined by a moulding and waste-gas mains.
Guardroom of évêché with the lake of Bind in background (East coast of the city).
House Rebirth, 10 rue Saint-Didier: frontage with order and stressed on three stages by successively Ionian, Corinthian and composite columns, planks and waste-gas mains.
the Diderot college and its vault (1770): old college of the Jesuits where Diderot made its studies.
the cathedral Saint-Mammès and his cloister (current public library).
the vault of Annonciades: vault of the old monastery of the nuns of Annonciade. This building shelters objets d'art crowned. Specific exposures recall the considerable radiation of the diocese of Langres during many century. You will discover two exposures there: one recalling the life of the nuns of Annonciade de Langres and the second presenting, within the framework of the year saint-Bernard, the order of the monks cistercians with many memories of the Abbey of Morimond.
Walks of Blanchefontaine.
Structures of transport
The train with toothed rack (1887-1971)
See also: Train with crémaillière of Langres
In order to facilitate the rise between the Station of Langres and the old city, the municipality decided the construction of the first train with toothed rack of France, over a length of 1.500m.
- old the electric toothed rack was moved towards the municipal workshops for its Voir restoration the article on the newspaper of the Haute-Marne after which it tightened reinstalled has its emplacemement origin.
It is a service of because urban which now connects SNCF railway station to the city
The panoramic funicular (1995)Taking into account the evolution of the modes of displacements and superabundance of cars the funicular was installed on another site on the rampart in 1995, by the municipality of Guy Baillet, to connect the city in these ramparts to the carpark Under-Bie downwards and makes it possible to the motorists to park their vehicles apart from the city while remaining very close.
It is based on the same principle as that of Montmartre to Paris and was built by the Skyrail company.
The small tourist trainIt should be noted that exists also a small tourist train (tyred) allows the tourists to make the turn of the ramparts sitting with the diffusion of comments by a loudspeaker.
- Population: 10.376
- Population without double accounts: 9.987
- municipal Population: 9.983
- Total population: 11.026
- Population without double accounts: 9.586
- municipal Population: 9.585
- Total population: 10.392
Cassini has a history of the censuses of Langres since 1794: to see http://cassini.ehess.fr/cassini/fr/html/6_index.htm?indexdep
Museum of art and history. Entry and free visit Cartography and historical photographs of Langres. Exposure from January 14th to December 15th, 2006: The invention of a country is without end. Old charts, description SIG.
- (Fr) http://www.linventiondunpays.com
- (Fr) http://www.interbibly.org
- the festival of the halberdiers http://www.hallebardiers.com/
- 1965 2005: 40 YEARS of International Friendships EXPO Langres Montreal Jeanne Mance Saint-Ferjeux Turn From June 17th to July 3rd, 2000 of 15:00 to 19:00.
Richard Tassel, painter.
Jean Tassel (Langres 1608 - Langres 1667), painter.
Claude Gillot (Langres 1673 - Paris 1722), painter, engraver, decorator of theater and illustrator.
Denis Diderot (Langres 1713 - Paris 1784), philosopher
- Jean Sleeping bag (1485 - 1570), Engraver.
- Etienne Jean Bouchu (Langres 1714 - Arc in barrois 1773), mechanic-chemist. He collaborated in the Encyclopedia of Diderot, in particular for the articles on the manufacture of iron.
Antoine Besancon (1731-1811), sculptor.
Jules-Claude Ziegler (Langres 1804 - Paris 1856), painter, ceramist and sculptor. He painted the cupola of the Madeleine in Paris.
Jules Louis Gabriel Rapes (Langres 1841 - Fixin 1923), physicist and academician.
The city gave its name to a cheese: the Langres.
EconomyIt has an antenna of the Chamber of commerce and industry of Haute-Marne.
Hotel restoring of Europe.
- Hotel restoring of the Gold Lion.
- Hotel restoring of the White Horse.
- Restaurant Jeanne d' Arc.
- Hotel restoring the Marmots.
Industries and undertaken
Plasturgie, Teflon, rubber, compact discs, cutlery, metallurgy, mechanics, car, data processing.
Freudenberg, Fuesas, Plastic Omnium, 3P, Printing works of Champagne, Graglia, Horiot father and wire, Miquée, Doc. Dated, Stramare, FMS, OgerDécoration, Entrin 52, Doras Elce materials, Fontana Top Ground, MGCA, Aluc, Morisot, Wall It, Petit, Dedome, Thirion, Déchetterie, OgerPropreté…
- Town hall of Langres
- the webtv of langres
- feudal currencies of Langres
- the Community of communes of Star of Langres
- Blazons - Évêché de Langres
- Langres on Geneawiki
- Langres on the site of the national geographical Institute
- Langres on the site of INSEE
- Langres on the site of Quid
- Localization of Langres on a chart of France and communes bordering
- Plane on Langres on Mapquest
|Random links:||Championships of the world of Alpine skiing 1932 | Shin A-blood | Demography of Basse-Normandie | Square Roger | European Family Pride | Luftwaffe|