The Low-Alsace is the septentrional part of the Alsace, corresponding about to the current department of the the Low-Rhine. It is with the High-Alsace one of the subdivision of the historical Area of Alsace.
This name was used as of the time of the Saint Worsens Romain Germanique and under the Old Mode between 1648 and 1789. It was again used during the integration of the Alsace-Lorraine to the German Empire, of 1870 with 1918. It is then about a district ( Bezirke ), with the head of which a Bezirkspräsident is, equivalent with Préfet French. Its chief town is Strasbourg.
The term Unterelsass is still employed nowadays by the people of German language to indicate the department of the Low-Rhine.
The flag of Low-Alsace red is barred of white and is decorated on both sides white lace. (Blasonnement: Of mouths to the bar of money côtoyée of two blossomed cotices of very the ). Its union with the flag of High-Alsace carries out the flag of Alsace.
|Random links:||Watamu | Witold Rowicki | Strait of the Probe | The Tweed Newspaper | Gottlieb Ringier|