Its inhabitants is called the Longoviciens .
Member of the Network of the major sites of Vauban
Attacked in 1648 by the French, Longwy is occupied until 1660 before being returned for the last time at the duke of Lorraine.
Following this annexation, the city was strengthened on order of Louis XIV by Vauban which built a new city there.
Following the First World War, the city was decorated with the Military Cross with Palm and the Legion of Honor on September 20th, 1919: “Sentinel advanced with a few kilometers of the border, had the honor to play a big role at the great hours of the history. With fact proof, while resisting the invader of 1914, of the same heroism as during three the 1792,1815 and 1870 old seats. Succumbed only under the effect of a heavy bombardment, from which she highly suffered, after having retained in front of her of important enemy forces. With undergone proudly, during more than four years the yoke of the enemy, exasperated by his beautiful resistance.”
As from the last years of the XIXe century, Longwy is strongly marked by the establishment of the iron and steel plants, which will employ the very large majority of the active population during nearly one century. The dismantling of the iron and steel industry longovician, considered to be underperforming, will be started by the Barre governments at the end of the Seventies, and will be finalized by the Socialist governments of beginning of the year 80, the advertisement of the closing plans then giving place to very violent riots in the city (1979 and 1984 in particular).
Industrial town, Longwy developed quickly at the same time as industries of Lorraine. The Company of the Steel-works of Longwy was founded in 1880 by Misters Jean-Joseph Labbé, Baron Oscar of Adelward, Count Fernand De Saintignon (Ironmaster of the Company of the Blast furnaces of Longwy and the Savage), Gustave Raty, of Huart Frères, Robert of Wendel. The city is divided into three sections:
Longwy-High : old strengthened city, which was retained in March 2006 by the " network of the major sites of Vauban" to belong to its candidature for the inscription with the world heritage of UNESCO. The high ramparts which since the XVIIe century protected the historical quarters according to a outline drawing from star do not girdle today any more entirely the center of the high city, several portions having been destroyed by the urbanization. One of the two principal strengthened doors always exists, in the south (France carries), and made figure today of symbol of the city and pedestrian walk, drawbridge and bridge with arcades making it possible to cross the ditches of Vauban. There remains almost nothing on the other hand door Burgundy, with north, if not the name of a district.
Longwy-Low : administrative center, fallen through place of a project of thermal city at the beginning of the 20th century, water of the basement being rich in iron. This project is sometimes evoked still today, as well as the related construction of a possible casino, but without never being concretized. True center of the city until the years 1980, Longwy-Low, located at the bottom of the valley like the iron and steel plants, completely has periclity with the disappearance of those. The gigantic industrial facilities having been destroyed about 1990, there remain about it more currently only some rare administrative buildings with the abandonment as well as the heart of a blast furnace, laid down in the middle of the raised plain which occupies from now on the center of the city
Longwy-Gouraincourt : founded industrial city in 1878 to place the personnel of the iron and steel plants under development. After the end of the iron and steel industry, several streets located in the vicinity immediate of the industrial sites were completely shaven, just as the factories themselves.
The agglomeration of Longwy extended gradually and joined the agglomerations today at the same time from the Belgium (Aubange) and from the Luxembourg (Pétange, Differdange), to which the borders are very close. But since the Years 1970, the industrial crisis of the Lorraine basin strongly touched Longwy. In about thirty years, the city passed of more than 23 000 inhabitants with less 15 000, and its agglomeration of more than 50 000 with 40 000 hardly. The transborder Agglomération which gathers 23 communes of Lorraine, Belgium and the Grand Duchy gathers as for it 120.271 inhabitants. It is generally estimated that more half of the active population of the area of Longwy works in Luxembourg. The French part of the agglomeration would tend to becoming the suburb-dormitory of the Luxembourg communes, the first proposer of the less expensive residences, the seconds of more and better paid employment.
- the feld-mérachal Claude Florimond de Mercy (1666-1734)
- David Vendetta, DJ and producer
- Geneviève de Fontenay
The agglomeration of Longwy was organized in a Communauté of communes, which succeeded an old district, associating 18 communes: Chenières, Idiots-the-Grandville, Cosnes-and-Romain, Cutry, Gorcy, Haucourt-Moulaine, Herserange, Hussigny-Godbrange, Laix, Lexy, Longlaville, Longwy , Mexy, Mount-Saint-Martin, Morfontaine, Réhon, Saulnes and Ugny
The canton of Longwy east made up of the commune of Longwy alone.
November 7th, 2007, opened a center commencial attracting several stores leaders like Intersport, Auchan…
- Antenna of the Chamber of commerce and industry of Meurthe-et-Moselle.
Catalog of films
- municipal Official site
|Random links:||The Musical box | Biladi | Justin Fitzpatrick | Amos Milburn | Notebooks of Joann Sfar | 1716|