Its inhabitants is called Lodévois.
EtymologyThe name comes from Gallic Luteva, made up of lute “mud” + suff - eva.
GeographyThe city is located at the north of the department, in the narrow valley of the Lergue (Affluent of the Fleuve Herault), with the foot of the Causse of Larzac. The commune was a stage on the way of Rouergue before the Pas of Escalette.
It is circumvented by the highway A75 (old Trunk road 9) which connects Clermont-Ferrand (290 km) to Béziers (65 km) and Montpellier (55 km).
JusticeLodève is the seat of a magistrates' court.
HistoryLodève was the capital of a tribe Volque (Lutevani), then becomes the Luteva Roman city (known still under the name of Forum Neronis). The oppidum of Luteva constitutes one of the centers of settlement of Celtic Mediterranean. The city is high with the row of Latin colony. It is one of the city-stages on the way of Saint-Jacques-with-Compostelle by the road of Arles. This city, episcopal until the Revolution, is one of the royal centers Textile S under Louis XV with one of the two only royal tapestry workshops, the other being the Manufacture of the Goblins to Paris.
Tourist monuments and places
- the Saint-Fulcran Cathedral of Lodève of (13th century) the
- the museum Fleury (native house of the cardinal of Fleury). This municipal museum, installed in the hotel of Fleury where the former minister of Louis XV resided, comprises an archeology part and mineralogy as well as a part devoted to the Art schools. It is used thus as exposure to a private collection comprising of the tables of Caillebotte, Courbet, Maurice de Vlaminck… It has a big number of works of Paul Dardé. It is organized there every summer of the exposures of paintings.
- the war memorial realized by Paul Darted.
- the market Darted.
- the Manufacture of carpet of the Soap factory belonging to the State-owned furniture.
- the old episcopal palate and current Town hall.
- the frontage of the hotel of the Peace renovated as at the beginning of the years 1900
Cultural activitiesThe festival of poetry " voices of Méditerranée" (Internet site of the town of Lodève gives precise details on the program and the dates), gathering poets and musicians of all the Mediterranean basin.
Personalities related to the commune
- Holy Fulcran, bishop of the city.
- Michel Knight: , negotiator economist and statesman and signatory of the Commercial treaty of 1860 instituting the free trade enters the France and the England (precursory of the Common Market).
- Jean Louis Conneau: aviator and promoter of the great air raids.
- Benjamin Cusson: Master ironworker, author of the Cross of Peyrou with Montpellier.
- Cardinal Andre Hercules de Fleury: tutor then minister of state of Louis XV.
- German Martin: member of the Institute of France, several times Minister for Finance, erudite economist.
- Paul Leroy-Beaulieu: member of the Institute of France. One of the founders of the Science of finances. Founder of the French economist.
- Barthelemy Roger: engraver of the work of Copied, of Pierre-Paul Prud' hon, raises Jacques-Louis David.
- Pierre Ramadier: champion of France of jump to the pole of multiple times.
- Joseph Vallot: large scientist and patron of science, celebrate mountaineer, founder and director of the first Observatory of Mont Blanc.
- Georges Auric: type-setter of music, member of the famous group of the Six.
- Paul Darted: stone sculptor and mason.
Common of Herault
- Évêché de Lodève
Town of lodève
- the Bridge of Montifort with Lodève (decouverte34.com)
- Markets Darted with Lodève (decouverte34.com)
- the Tower of the Old Ramparts or Turn of Andrineus with Lodève (decouverte34.com)
- the War memorial Darted in Lodève (decouverte34.com)
- Old Episcopal Palate of Lodève (decouverte34.com)
- Lodève on the site of the national geographical Institute
- Lodève on the site of INSEE
- Lodève on the site of Quid
- Localization of Lodève on a chart of France and communes bordering
- Plane on Lodève on Mapquest
|Random links:||Trophy of the Cannes festival | Charter of 1830 | Jean Brohon | The Adventure of star of the West | Agencia de Noticias Plurinacional del Ecuador - ANPE | Devaki|