The name of the city comes from the Gallic people which lived the area: Lexovii. That also explains why the inhabitants of Lisieux are called the Lexoviens . Lisieux is seat of évêché.
Lisieux is the main city of the Pays of Trough.
Lisieux amalgamated with the commune of Saint-Jacob in 1960.
The city is chief town of three cantons:
- the 1st canton is made of part of Lisieux and communes of Beuvillers, Cordebugle, Courtonne-la-Meurdrac, Fauguernon, Firfol, Fumichon, Glos, Hermival-the-Are worth, Hotel trade, Marolles, the Mesnil-Guillaume, Moyaux, Ouilly-of-Houley the, Ouilly-the-Viscount, the Pine and Rocques (12 011 inhabitants);
- the 2nd canton is made of part of Lisieux and commune of Saint-Martin-of-the-Mile (13 362 inhabitants);
- the 3rd canton is made of part of Lisieux and communes of Boissière, the Hop field, Lessard-and-the-Oak, Mesnil-Eudes, the Mesnil-Simon, the Heaps, Pre-with Trough, Prêtreville, Saint-Desire, Saint-Germain-with-Livet, Saint-Jean-with-Livet and Saint-Pierre-of-Yews (12 419 inhabitants).
ReligionLisieux was since the Middle Ages the seat of one of the 7 évêchés of Normandy, concerned with the province of Rouen. It was amalgamated with that of Bayeux, the bearing bishop from now on the title of “Bayeux and Lisieux”.
The devotion with Sainte Therese, which lived with the Carmel of Lisieux, makes of it the most important town of Pèlerinage of France after Lourdes.
MonumentsDestroyed to 60% in 1944, Lisieux preserves few old monuments.
- the Cathedral Saint-Pierre (Gothic)
- the Basilica Holy-Therese: style romano-Byzantine of the 20th century.
- Carmel, monastery which accommodated holy Therese. It is always occupied.
- Buissonnets, property of Louis Martin, father of Holy Therese
- the Media library Andre Malraux de Lisieux
- the Institution Frémont, and the vault of the Institution as well as the old Manor dating from the 15th century, restored in the years 1990.
- the town hall (18th century), old private mansion
- the museum of art and history
- Hotel of the High-Deanery, old residence of the high-senior at the 18th century. The high-senior was the second religious character of the city after the bishop.
- 1590 : at the time of the Eighth war of religion, Henri IV must conquer his kingdom. When it arrives at Lisieux, the garrison flees, and it takes the city without combat.
- 1907 : The first takeoff of a helicopter, carried out by Horned Paul.
- 1937 : Arrival with Lisieux of Monseigneur Eugenio Pacelli, papal legate and future Pie XII
- 6 and June 7th 1944: The allied bombardments make more than 800 victims and destroy the city to two thirds
- August 23rd 1944: Release by the allied troops
- June 2nd 1980: Visit Pape Jean-Paul II.
Of money to the two keys of sand passed in saltire, confined of four stars of same, with the chief of azure charged with three flowers of gold lily.
The 2 keys point out the keys of saint Pierre, owner of the cathedral. Besides the canons of the chapter cathédral of Lisieux had these two objects like blazon.
CelebritiesTheir names are related to the history of Lisieux:
- Holy Therese, of her true name Therese Martin (1873-1897)
- Pierre Cauchon, bishop of Lisieux of 1432 to 1442. It rebuilds the vault of the Virgin in the cathedral.
- Jean Hennuyer, bishop of Lisieux.
- Henry Chéron, mayor of Lisieux and several times minister under IIIe Republic.
- Michel Magne, type-setter, born in Lisieux in 1930
- Robert Street pedlar, post-war period. He is the architect who directed the rebuilding of Lisieux post-war period. He established in particular overall plans of collective dwellings
- Georges Duval, architect
- Yvette Roudy, minister, was mayor
- André Fanton, Secretary of State, was appointed (1986-1987 and 1993-1997)
- Paul Cornu, mechanic, carried out the first coasting flight of a man in the helicopter (November 13rd, 1907 with Coquainvilliers)
- Nicolas Batum, great hope of the French tennis shoe evolving/moving in Pro has with the Mans
CyclingLisieux was on July 7th, 2006 the departure city of the sixth stage of the Tour de France which led the runners to Vitré.
Each year, a few days after the turn of France, the city organizes the Critérium de Lisieux. List winners: 1981 Roger Legeay, 1983 Pascal Simon, 1984 Bernard Hinault, 1985 Thierry Marie, 1986 Greg Lemond, 1987 Gilbert Duclos-Lassalle, 1988 Philippe Bouvatier, 1989 Vincent Barteau, 1990 François Lemarchand, 1991 Jean-Claude Colotti, 1992 Laurent Jalabert, 1993 Djamolidine Abdoujaparov, 1994 Jacky Durand, 1995 Richard Virenque, 1996 Luc Leblanc, 1997 Stephan Barthe, 1998 Laurent Desbiens, 1999 Richard Virenque, 2000 Christophe Moreau, 2001 Didier Rous, 2002 Laurent Jalabert, 2003 Laurent Brochard, 2004 Jean-Patrick Nazon, 2005 Sandy Casar, 2006 Sylvain Calzati, 2007 Christophe Moreau
FootballLisieux comprises three clubs:
- the ASC Lisieux , specialist in the cut of France.
- CA Lisieux which evolves/moves in DH.
- US Lisieux , the smallest club of the city.
- Official site of the city
- Site of the inter-commune office of tourism
- Site of the historical company of Lisieux
- Official site of Friendly of the Resistance network Jean-Marie Buckmaster of Normandy
- Site on the battle of Lisieux and the bombardments of 1944
- Lisieux on the site of the national geographical Institute
- Lisieux on the site of INSEE
- Lisieux on the site of Quid
- Localization of Lisieux on a chart of France and communes bordering
- Plane on Lisieux on Mapquest
- the electronic Library of Lisieux, a French-speaking virtual library and Norman.
|Random links:||Karakorum | Scoop (film, 2006) | Park of Montgeroult - Courcelles | Victor Williams | Rose of India | Transport_au_Republic_Of_Macedonia|