The limbourgeois is a Langue resulting from the group Germano-néerlandais.
ClassificationThe limbourgeois is a Germanic language of the pertaining West, like the Dutch, with the branch Bas-francique of the Low-German.
Geographical distributionThe limbourgeois is spoken in the area marked by Eupen, Düsseldorf, Cologne, Aachen, Maastricht, Hasselt.
- With the Netherlands, the language is recognized like streektaal , language regional in the province of the Limbourg.
- In Belgium, it is recognized by the French Communauté as being a endogenous regional Langue.
WritingThe limbourgeois uses the Latin alphabet.
PronunciationThe limbourgeois is a Langue with tons.
pluralTo form plural, the limbourgeois makes use of " Umlaut". Umlaut is the formation of plural while changing the central vowel. In English, one preserved former English of the words which in plural change the vowel power station:
- has tooth (a tooth) - two teeth (two teeth)
- has goose (a goose) - two geese (two geese)
this use of Umlaut is found a little everywhere in Limbourg. In Maasland (country of the Meuse) in the east, there are plurals according to
- E broor (a brother) - twiê breer (two frêres)
- sjoon (a shoe) - twiê sjeen (two shoes)
- baum (a tree) - twiê beim (two trees)
And even in north, in an area where the Western limbourgeois is spoken, one makes use of Umlaut for certain substantives:
- boek (a book) - twiê buuk (two books)
- E schaop (a sheep) - twiê scheup (two sheep - the " eu" as in butter)
LexiconThe limbourgeois was very influenced by French. The dialect of Maëstricht still contains many words of French origin, like sjomaas and candle .
Examples; Huuj gaon ich E bietje later.
- I go Aujourd'hui a little plus-tard
- , more particularly dialects 29 and 30 covering the surface of the limbourgeois.
- Cartography of the dialects limbourgeois (for the Netherlands)
- the Limbourg, historical area
- endogenous regional Language (Belgium)
|Random links:||Hummingbird with throat ruby | Claude Giraud | Mickaël Dogbé | Philippe Louis de Meyronnet | Luigi Scarabello | Adolphe_Niel|