Lillian Gish , from its true name Lillian Diana De Guiche, was born in 1893 with Springfield, Ohio. It is in 1902 that it starts to play Théâtre in company of her mother and her young sister, Dorothy. She thus plays several years with an itinerant company.
She begins with the cinema in 1912 under the direction from D.W. Griffith in Year Unseen Enemy . She turns then of many films with him where she shows her exceptional talents of actress: she is Elsie Stoneman in Naissance of a nation , and it is her which rocks the baby in Intolérance . Lillian Gish is not only beautiful, it has also the capacity to transmit the emotions. Among his masterpieces, one can quote the Lily broken of Griffith, the Wind ( The Wind ) of Victor Sjöström, Through the storm always of Griffith. Later, per hour of the talking films, she plays sides of Burt Lancaster in a remake of The Wind . One will also notice it in Duel with the sun , in the Night of the hunter ( The Night off the Hunter ) with Robert Mitchum and in the Wind of the plain .
Among the pionnières of the cinema, it is without question one of those which brought to him more.
One can re-examine it in a Marriage of Robert Altman and especially in the Whales of August (1985) with two young actors (young people than she, that gets along) Bette Davis and Vincent Price.
Lillian Gish makes its last film in 1987 and dies out in February 1993 in New York. With 88 years of career as an actress whose 75 years of cinema with the largest realizers, Lillian Gish holds a true record.
A Belgian group of Rock paid homage to him while bearing its name (cf Lillian Gish).
Selective catalog of films
- 1915 : Birth of a nation ( The Birth off the Nation ) of D.W. Griffith
- 1916 : Intolerance ( Intolerance) of D.W. Griffith
- 1919 : the Lily broken ( Broken Blossoms ) of D.W. Griffith
- 1919 : the Poor Love ( True Heart Susie )
- 1920: Through the storm ( Way Down East ) of D.W. Griffith
- 1921 : Both orphan ( Orphans off the Storm ) of D.W. Griffith
- 1926 : the scarlet letter (1926) of Victor Sjöström
- 1928: the wind (1928) of Victor Sjöström
- 1946: Duel with the sun ( Duel in the Sun ) of King Vidor
- 1948: the Portrait of Jennie ( Portrait off Jennie ) of William Dieterle
- 1955: the Night of the hunter ( The Night off the Hunter ) of Charles Laughton
- 1955: the Cobweb of Vincente Minnelli
- 1960: Wind of the plain (The Unforgiven) of John Huston
- 1978: a marriage ( has Wedding ) Robert Altman
- 1987: Whales of August ( The Whales off August ) of Lindsay Anderson
- Other information on Lilian Gish
- Catalog of films on IMDb
|Random links:||William MacGillivray | Adaptation of impedances | Altair 8800 | Jean Aubert (Rugby) | Neerheylissem | Comté_de_Taylor,_la_Floride|