Let us sing under the rain
SynopsisGift Lockwood (Gene Kelly), star of the Silent film, has as a partner Lina Lamont (Jean Hagen), actress with the rasping voice. This one is persuaded that the love affair which links them with the screen also links them in the life. The days of the silent film are counted and when that the Singer leaves Jazz , first talking film, Lockwood and its partner Cosmo Brown (Donald O' Connor) fight so that next “the Lockwood and Lamont” which they are turning, The Dueling Cavalier , is transformed into musical comedy. The studio accepts but the voice of Lina Lamont is too unpleasant and Cosmo decides to make it double by Kathy Selden (Debbie Reynolds), young tragic actress with the voice enchanter.
- Title: Let us sing under the rain
- original Titer: Singin' in the Rain
- Realization: Stanley Donen, Gene Kelly
- Scenario: Betty Comden, Adolph Green
- Production: Arthur Freed
- Director of the photography: Harold Rosson
- Original music: Nacio Herb Brown, Lennie Hayton, Arthur Freed
- Choreography: Gene Kelly
- Artistic director: Cedric Gibbons, Randall Duel
- Make-up: Sydney Guilaroff, William Tuttle
- Costumes: Walter PLunkett
- Assembly: Adrienne Fazan
- Decorations: Edwin B. Willis, Jacques Maps
- Country of origin: The United States
- Kind: musical comedy
- Color: color (Technicolor) and black and white - 1,37:1 - Mono (Western Electric Sound System) - 35 mm
- Lasted: 103 minutes
- Comings out date:
- Gene Kelly: Gift Lockwood
- Donald O' Connor: Edmond Brown
- Debbie Reynolds: Kathy Shelden
- Jean Hagen: Lina Lamont
- Millard Mitchell : RF Simpson
- Cyd Charisse: Dancer
- Rita Moreno: Zelda Zanders
- Douglas Fowley: Roscoe Dexter
- Kathleen Freeman : Phoebe Dinsmore (not credited)
- King Donovan: Rod (not credited)
- the images in black and white of the Royal Spadassin in fact are extracted from the Three musketeers of George Sidney in 1948.
- Several songs of film are former for him, to begin with the song éponyme, written in 1929 by Arthur Freed, in addition producer of this film, and composed by Nacio Herb Brown, and which appeared already in the film Hollywood Revue off 1929 of Charles Reisner. But it is also the case of All I C Is Think off You , You Were Meant For Me or Would You .
the scenario was written after the songs: the scenario writers thus had to imagine a history of which these songs would form part perfectly.
Gene Kelly had fever when it turned celebrates it scene of dance under the rain.
the rain was in fact a mixture of water and milk, because thus it was better visible with the screen: however it made narrow the wool dress carried by Gene Kelly.
Whereas the idea of Edmond is based on the fact that the voice of Kathy replaces that of Lina, it is that, ironically, in several of these songs and in particular Would you and You are my lucky star , Debbie Reynolds itself was doubled by Betty Noyes.
Gene Kelly, known for her intransigence on the plates, sharply reproached Debbie Reynolds for not knowing to dance. Whereas she cried, she was approached by Fred Astaire which was of passage on the plate and gave him some impromptu lessons. A few years later, Debbie acknowledged that the turning of this film and the birth of his/her daughter were the two moments more testing of its existence.
the turning of the sequence where Edmond sings " Make' EM laugh" , was if testing that Donald O' Connor had to take several days of rest once the finished sequence.
Just like Lina Lamont in film, several actors transfer their career put at evil by the arrival of the talking films. The most famous example is the actor Buster Keaton, with whom Gene Kelly discussed besides whereas it prepared this film.
For its scene of vamp, Cyd Charisse had to learn how to smoke. It was the first and the last time that it took a cigarette.
the negative original of film was destroyed in a fire.
the film is classified in the tenth place of the classification established by the American Film Institute.
Chantons under the rain is an example of Film containing a film, and even several.
- One can see in film a first page of the magazine Variety . However, the film occurs at the time from the exit from first talking film to the Singer about jazz , that is to say in 1927, whereas Variety was published for the first time in 1933.
Nominations and rewards1952: nomination of Jean Hagen for the Oscar of the best actress of supporting role and Lennie Hayton for the Oscar of the best music of musical comedy.
- tracks of teaching exploitation - site of the academy of Versailles
- '' Chantons under the rain '': Card-index, critical, photographs…
Simple: Singin' in the Rain
|Random links:||Lealtad | Visual arts | Simonism | Tom Burke | Nassim Akrour | Chart of the County of Unmethodical Sancerre/ | Eastford,_le_Connecticut|