GeographyLeffrinckoucke is located on the shore of the the North Sea, in the east of Dunkirk to about fifteen kilometers of the border with Belgium.
Gallo-Roman timeDuring the years 2000 to 2002, potteries of Gallo-Roman time were collected on the estran. The ancient shore which was located in front of its current layout, lets suppose an archaeological layer present under the beach, and perhaps a layer of the Âge of iron related to the exploitation ignigene of salt by the Gaulois ménapes which occupied all the littoral then.
The Middle AgesOne finds the name of Lefringhehoeck in a charter of 1241, of Thomas II of Piedmont, Count de Flandre.
Research in the files, undertaken by A. Lesmaries in 1923, confirms the dating of the site, mentioned in a diploma of 1265 emanating of GUI of Dampierre, Count de Flandre and Marquis of Namur, granting privileges:
- “… with ceulx which remains or will venront manor with Leffringhehouc on the sea, with the place which one calls Herde Sainte Katherine…”
Battle of the dunes
See also: Battle of the Dunes (1658)
The June 23rd 1658, Turenne puts the seat in front of Dunkirk. The June 25th in the dunes of Leffrinckoucke, took place a decisive action, which one will call battles of the Dunes. The French Army pushes back then the army of the Spanish Netherlands, and returns Dunkirk and its agglomeration to France.
Second world warMay 25th with the June 3rd 1940, the shore of Dunkirk, Leffrinckoucke, Zuydcoote Bray-Dunes, was the theater of the Opération Dynamo which made it possible to bring back to Great Britain 338.226 combatants (including 123.095 French) (see Bataille of Dunkirk). June 4th 1940 with the May 9th 1945, shortly after the armistice, the German army occupies the city like all the agglomeration.
EconomyThe rise of the common date of the beginning of the century, first of all by the creation of a beach vain and laughing (pre-war period), a little with the variation of the noise of the city for truths in love with the sea, with fast services of transport, which did not prevent industry from taking a big part there thereafter (creation as from 1912 of the Factory of the Dunes).
- the Extremely of the dunes: In 1874, the General Séré de Rivières who directed the services of the genius was project superintendent of the construction of network of fortifications. Only one extremely terrestrial of type “Séré de Rivières” was built on the littoral: “The fort of the dunes” which was to become one of the showpieces of the strategy of defense of the territory and the agglomeration dunkerquoise.
One chooses the narrow part of Bray-Dunes formed of the dune cord and of primitive polders, having a channel, two roads and a railway coming from the Belgian border, to build the fort.
the dune sector made it possible to incorporate in the landscape a strengthened work. Who could suspect that the sand mount at the exit of Leffrinckoucke shelters a fort of twelve hectares and realized with more than 40.000.000 bricks made on the spot?
- 150 hectares of dunes which constitute an exceptional natural heritage.
- the beach of Leffrinckoucke, long 3 kilometers.
- Each year, in November, is held the “Cross-country race of Steel”, where cotoient themselves amateurs and international of the race on foot.
- Leffrinckoucke is also a spot considered for the practice of the Kitesurf and the Speed-Sail.
- Michel Hidalgo selector of the team of France of football of 1976 to 1984 was born in Leffrinckoucke the March 22nd 1933.
Twinning(June 1st), to see Web site
- Town of Leffrinckoucke
- Tourist office
- Littoral Large Dunkirk - Urban community of Dunkirk
- Intercommunity association of the Dunes of Flanders
- Association of the Tradesmen Terminus-Leffrinckoucke
- Charts and air photographs:
- Leffrinckoucke on the site of the national geographical Institute
- Leffrinckoucke on the site of INSEE
- Leffrinckoucke on the site of Quid
- Localization of Leffrinckoucke on a chart of France and communes bordering
- Plane on Leffrinckoucke on Mapquest
- Gate of information on the town of Leffrinckoucke
|Random links:||İsmet İnönü | Jacques Lacarrière (writer) | East Boston | Diamniadio | Stephan Roy | Plantation_de_ressort,_Minnesota|