Lee Kuan Yew
Lee Kuan Yew (Chinese: 李光耀, Pinyin: Lǐ Guāngyào, born on September 16th, 1923, also written Lee Kwan-Yew ) was the Prime Minister for the republic of Singapore of 1959 to 1990.
Since the end of its functions, there remained one of the most influential political personalities of Singapore. During the government of its successor Goh Chok Tong, it was Senior Minister . Today, it occupies the station of mentor of the minister under the government of his son Lee Hsien Loong who became the second Prime Minister resulting from the family on August 12th, 2004. In an abstract way, it is called Harry by his friends and his close family, her name being thus sometimes quoted like Harry Lee Kuan Yew , although this first name is never used officially.
FamilyIn its memories, Lee Kuan Yew tells to being a Singaporean of the fourth generation, at the Chinese origins. Its back grandfather, Lee Bok Boon, born in 1846, was a Hakka which emigrated of the province of Guangdong towards the Colonies of the straits in 1862.
Elder from Lee Chin Koon and Chua Jim Neo, it was born in the 92, Kampong Java Road in Singapore, in a roomy bungalow. In its childhood, it was strongly influenced by the British culture, partly because of his grandfather Lee Hoon Leong who informed it in the English tradition. In addition to the first name Kuan Yew, his/her large father gave him the name " Harry".
Lee Kuan Yew and its famed Kwa Geok Choo married on September 30th, 1950, they have two wire and a girl.
Several Lee family members occupy of the important stations in the Singaporean company, of which his/her children.
- Its first wire Lee Hsien Loong, before general Sergeant, now occupies the post of Prime Minister (since 2004) and of Minister for Finance. Lee Kuan Yew and Lee Hsien Loong are respectively president and vice-president of the Singapore Investment Company .
- the junior, Lee Hsien Yang, also general sergeant in the past, was the chairman of SingTel, a giant of telecommunications in Asia, and the principal Singaporean company in term of capital (figure in the Singapore Exchange , SGX). 56% of SingTel are held by Temasek Holdings, a governmental investment company, which controls many companies related to the government such as Singapore Airlines and DBS Bank. Since, Ho Ching, woman of Lee Hsien Loong, succeeded Lee Hsien Yang with the head of SingTel.
- the girl of Lee Kuan Yew, Lee Wei Ling, directs the National institute of neurological Sciences, and is not married.
- Its wife, Kwa Geok Choo, and his/her brothers Refusals, Freddy and Suan Yew, were associated law firm Lee & Lee.
- It also has a sister, Monica.
Political beginnings (1951-1959)
Before the Started from popular action
Formation of the Started from popular action
In the opposition
Prime Minister before independence (1959-1965)
Clean government (1959-1963)
Fusion and separation with Malaysia (1963-1965)
Prime Minister after independence (1965-1990)
Decisions and orientations
Relations with Malaysia
Mahathir bin Mohammad
Senior Minister (1990-2004)
Mentor of the minister (since 2004)
Legislative elections of 2006
Assessment and memories
|Random links:||Districts of the Hautes-Pyrénées | Lloyd Bentsen | Buen gobierno | The Mystery of the Acts of the Apostles | Percy Wragg Brian | To wrap Root | Langage_de_programmation_Third-generation|