the Island of the Orchises (; POJ: Lân-sū) is a volcanic island of 45 km 2 off the Eastern coast of Taiwan in the Peaceful ocean . Common of Lanyu of the Told of Taitung of the Republic of China. It is the fatherland of the people Da' O, indigenous Taiwanese (also called Yami people), which calls the island Ponso No CAT (“the island where we live”; also Pongso No CAT is written). It is named also Botel Tobago .
Since 1982, the Taipower company stores Nuclear waste there.
January 19th, 1946, the island was famous Hongtouyu Township (紅頭嶼鄉 “ïle with the russet-red hair”) of the county of Taitung. November 24th of this same year, the name was still changed into Lan Yu, or Island of the Orchises, according to the local species of Phalaenopsis . From 1958 to 1972, thousands of prisoners were sent there in detention.
The village communities (社) are: (the asterisks indicate the administrative villages) (村).
The inhabitants are for the majority of the fisherman-farmers.
The small island of the Orchises (Hsiao Lan Yü; Pinyin: Xiao Lanyu), an uninhabited volcanic small island close to the principal island, is the point more in the south of the county of Taitung. It was used as target with drives of aerial combat. It is the natural habitat of an endemic species of orchis in serious danger of disappearance, Phalaenopsis equestris F. aurea .
- Green Island - the other offshore oil rig township off Taitung County
|Random links:||Pepper of Espelette | Betty Boo | County of Yangpyeong | Charles Oman (economist) | Optimates | Hockey_de_champ_aux_1960_Jeux_Olympiques_d'été|