See also: Colleville (homonymy)
The name of the commune comes from the proper name Colla and the Latin suffix villa which indicates an agricultural domain. The exploit of Michel Cabieu is sometimes localized (wrongly) in Colleville-Montgomery by certain works.
OriginsThe importance of the church shows that the parochial community was quite alive as of the 12th century. Texts of the 13th century mention Colleville and regulate the destination of the Dîme S which are raised there. In 1434, the commune shelters 76 fires (either approximately 300 people). In 1709, the population is identical (79 fires).
RenamingThe commune was called Colleville-on-Flowering ash until the June 13rd 1946, to be distinguished from another commune of the department, also in littoral situation, Colleville-sur-Mer. It owes its current name to the British general Montgomery who directed the British troops on Colleville at the time of the unloading of June 6th, 1944.
UnloadingThe French commandos of the 1er battalion of marine fusiliers commandos of the Cdt Kieffer, after having unloaded, seized Ouistreham in the morning before making junction in middle of afternoon with the British Airborne with Bénouville (Pegasus Bridge) and discussing the commune.
GeographyThe commune is made up of three zones:
Colleville-beachZone made up of the beach of Colleville (supervised bathe all the summer), as well as suburban district located between the sea front and the marsh, along the secondary road D514 connecting Ouistreham to Lion-on-Sea. One finds there a shopping mall, a camp-site and a club of veil named Wind14, as well as a memorial dedicated to the action of the 1er battalion of marine fusiliers commandos of the commander Kieffer set up on the dam, back with the sea. . There remains about it a good half, located at Colleville-Beach, at the end of the street Vauban.
|Random links:||Flows and carried | Créton | Phar Lap | In situ hybridization | Quercus copeyensis | Kurt_Cobain|