Judeţ de Constanţa
The department of Constanta was formed in 1878 when Dobrogée (Rumanian Dobrogea, Dobroudja into Bulgarian) was attached to Romania (it was occupied by Turkish since 1421). From 1916 to 1918 it was under Bulgarian occupation, Romania being then allied France and of Great Britain, while Bulgaria, which asserted also Dobrogée, had united with the central powers (Germany, Austria-Hungary, Turkey). In 1949 it was removed and integrated into the area of Constanta which grouped several of the old departments. It was restored in 1971, within its current limits.
Very rural under the Turkish mode, which however had made build by the British a railway of Cernavoda with Constanta in 1865, it was the object of an especially agricultural development since 1878, with a beginning of industrialization with Constanta. This one was accentuated after 1930. In the years 1949-1954 and the 1975-1989 Communist regime a navigable channel between the Danube and the Black Sea built, a giant refinery with Navodari, a nuclear plant with Cernavoda, an immense port with Constanta; this oversize equipment remains still under-utilized and has sometimes negative side effects on the ground water and the environment.
Since 1989 the department of Constanta develops this time on the qualitative level and it is one of those where the GDP per capita is highest in Romania.
Through the various successive dominations, Constantains always knew to keep intact their traditions of religious and cultural tolerance between Moslems, Christians orthodoxe or other confessions, between Rumanian, Greeks, Turkish, tatars, aroumains, Armenians, Jews, rrôms, circassiens, Bulgarian, lipovenes and well of others.
|Random links:||Eric XI of Sweden | Aggregation of economy and management | Michael Hoffman | US Open of tennis 1995 | McDonnell FH-1 Phantom | Murdo_MacKenzie|