Wire of the playwright Edmond Rostand and the poetess Rosemonde Gerard, Jean Rostand passes his childhood to the Arnaga villa, with Cambo-the-Baths (Basque Country). He discovers at the ten years age the entomological Souvenirs of Jean-Henri Fabre. Bachelor of science of the Faculty of Paris, Jean Rostand settles with City-with Avray in 1922, with died of his father. After having taken part in the creation of the section of biology to the Palate of Discovered the, in 1936, it founds with City-with Avray its own laboratory independent and keeps away of the university structures that it judges too constraining. Very interested by the Origins of life, he studies the biology of the Batracien S (frogs, clamping plates…), the parthenogenesis, the action of the cold on eggs… and promote multiple research on the Hérédité.
Jean Rostand starts by publishing some philosophical tests , then division his time between his trade of researcher and a very abundant scientific and literary production. With conviction and enthusiasm, he endeavors to popularize the Biologie near many people (he receives in 1959 scientific the Kalinga price of popularization) and to alert the opinion on the gravity of the human problems which it poses. Regarding biology as front being carrying a Moral , it warns against the dangers which threaten the men when they play apprentices wizard, like holding of the Eugénisme.
However Rostand supported a form of eugenism (or positive eugenism), approving as well the writings of Alexis Carrel as the law Nazi of 1933 envisaging the sterilization of people reached of certain forms of mental diseases.
Scientist, biologist, lampoonist, moralist, Jean Rostand are also pacifist (it militates against the atomic armament). It is a convinced atheistic , free thinker (honorary president of the Libre-pensée). , However, to be sectarian far, it shows a large open-minded and much of intellectual honesty. At the time of the Lawsuit of Bobigny around the Abortion in 1972, he testifies in favor of defense.
Titles and distinctions.
Member of the zoological Company of France (1950)
- literary Grand Prix of the Town of Paris (1951)
- Honorary president of the Zoological Company of France (1953)
- Grand Prix of the Foundation Singer-Polignac (1955)
- Seat with the French Academy (1959)
- Price of the Education decreed by the Institute of the Life of foundation MGEN (General mutual company of State education) (1975)
- Honorary president of the congress of the Free-thought (1976)
- Founder of the Antinuclear international Face against the nuclear plants ( 1976)
Works of Jean Rostand
- the Return of the poor , Paris, Stock, 1919 (published under the pseudonym of Jean Sokori)
- the Law of the rich person , Paris, Grasset, 1920.
- While is still suffered, Paris, Grasset, 1921.
- Ignace or the writer , Paris, Fasquelle, 1923.
- Two Anguishes: death, the love , Paris, Fasquelle, 1924.
- Of vanity and some other subjects , Paris, Fasquelle, 1925.
- Familiotes and other tests of middle-class mystic , Paris, Fasquelle, 1925.
- Of the love of the ideas , Paris, Filbert, 1926.
- the Marriage , Paris, Hatchet, 1927.
- Valère or exasperated the , Paris, Fasquelle, 1927.
- Julien or a conscience , Paris, Fasquelle, 1928.
- Chromosomes, craftsmen of heredity and sex , Paris, Hatchet, 1928.
- Formation to be it. History of the ideas on the generation, Paris, Hatchet, 1930.
- Of the fly to the man , Paris, Fasquelle, 1930.
- Newspaper of a character , Paris, Fasquelle, 1931.
- the State present of the transformism , Paris, Stock, 1931.
- Evolution of the species. History of the ideas transformists , Paris, Hatchet, 1932.
- the Human adventure , Paris, Fasquelle, 3 volumes, 1933-1935.
- Life of the clamping plates , Paris, Stock, 1933.
- Problems of heredity and the sex , Paris, Rieder, 1933.
- In collaboration: Sciences. Mathematical sciences, biological sciences, physicochemical sciences , Paris, Denoël, 1933.
- Life of the dragonflies , Paris, Stock, 1935.
- Insects , Paris, Flammarion, 1936.
- In collaboration with Lucien Cuénot: Introduction to the genetics , Paris, Tournier and Constans, 1936.
- New Biology , Paris, Fasquelle, 1937.
- Parthenogenesis of vertebrate the , Paris, Hermann, 1938.
- Claude Bernard , Paris, Gallimard, 1938.
- Biology and Médecine , Paris, Gallimard, 1939.
- Life and its problems , Paris, Flammarion, 1939.
- Science and Génération , Paris, Fasquelle, 1940.
- the man. Introduction to the study of human biology , Paris, Gallimard, 1941.
- Novel ideas of the genetics , Paris, PUF, 1941.
- the Man, Master of the life , Paris, Chicken-Malassis, 1941.
- Men of truth. Volume 1: Pasteur, Claude Bernard, Fontenelle, Rochefoucauld , Paris, Stock, 1942.
- Genesis of the life. History of the ideas on the spontaneous generation , Paris, Hatchet, 1943.
- Future of biology , Paris, Chicken-Malassis, 1943.
- Life of the worms with silk , Paris, Gallimard, 1944.
- Draft of a history of biology , Paris, Gallimard, 1945.
- Future of biology , Paris, Editions of Fine sand, 1946.
- What a child? , Alençon, Alençonnaise Printing works, 1946.
- New thoughts of a biologist , Paris, Stock, 1947.
- Charles Darwin , Paris, Gallimard, 1947.
- Men of truth. Volume 2: Lamarck, Davaine, Mendel, Fabre, Barbellion , Paris, Stock, 1948.
- the Man in front of biology , Paris, Chicken-Malassis, 1949.
- Parthenogenesis, virginal reproduction in the animals , Paris, Chicken-Malassis, 1949.
- animal Parthenogenesis , Paris, PUF, 1949.
- Biology and human future , Paris, Albin Michel, 1950.
- Large currents of biology , Paris, Gallimard, 1951.
- Origins of experimental biology and the abbot Spallanzani , Paris, Fasquelle, 1951.
- Genetics of the Batrachians , Paris, Hermann, 1951.
- human Heredity , Paris, PUF, " What do I know? " , 1952.
- Pages of a moralist , Paris, Fasquelle, 1952.
- what the toads and the frogs teach us, Paris, Chicken-Malassis, 1953.
- what I believe , Paris, Grasset, 1953.
- Instruire on the man , Nice, Editions medical the French Diane, 1953.
- the Life, this adventure. Discussions with Paul Bodin , Paris, the Roundtable, 1953.
- Notes of a biologist , Paris, the pharmacists bibliophiles, 1954.
- Thought of a biologist , Paris, Stock, 1954.
- Clamping plates, frogs and some problems biological , Paris, Gallimard, 1955.
- the biological Problem of the individual , Paris, Chicken-Malassis, 1955.
- Atomism in biology , Paris, Gallimard, 1956.
- can one modify the man? , Paris, Gallimard, 1956.
- the Man of the year 2000 , Paris, Parisian Company of printing works, 1956.
- false Science and distorts science , Paris, Gallimard, 1958.
- With the sources of biology , Paris, Gallimard, 1958.
- Bestiaire of love , Paris, Gallimard, 1958.
- Anomalies of the tailless Amphibians , Paris, SEDES, 1958.
- Carnet of a biologist , Paris, Stock, 1959.
- the Origins of experimental biology , Paris, Chicken-Malassis, 1959.
- Hope and Inquiétudes of the man , Paris, Club of the best book, 1959.
- Speech of reception of Jean Rostand to the French Academy and Answer of Jules Romans , Paris, Gallimard, 1959.
- the Evolution , Paris, Robert Delpine, 1960.
- Biology and human Problems , Paris, Parisian Circle of the French League of teaching, 1960.
- inventive Biology , Paris, Editions of the Palate of Discovery, 1961.
- At the Borders of superhuman the , Paris, UGE, 1962.
- With Andree Tétry: the Life , Paris, Larousse, 1962.
- Right to be a naturalist , Paris, Stock, 1963.
- Biology and Humanisme , Paris, Gallimard, 1964.
- Men of formerly and today , Paris, Gallimard, 1966.
- Maternity and Biologie , Paris, Gallimard, 1966.
- Concerns of a biologist , Paris, Gallimard, 1967.
- Mail of a biologist , Paris, Gallimard, 1970.
- Some speeches (1964-1970) , Paris, humanistic Club, 1970.
- Ponds with monsters. History of a research (1947-1970) , Paris, Stock, 1971.
- With Andree Tétry: the Man. Initiation with biology , Paris, Larousse, 1972.
- Discussions with Eric Laurent , Paris, Stock, 1975.
|Random links:||Calvisson | The Tiger and Snow | Gargnano | August 11th in the railroads | Ole Kirk Christiansen|