Jean-Pierre Chevènement , born the March 9th 1939, is a Politician French of left, cofounder and former member of the Socialist party and founder of the Mouvement of the citizens. It is since the January 26th 2003 the Honorary president of the Republican movement and citizen (MRC). He is also the President of the Fondation Res Publica.
Origins, studies and familyBorn on March 9th, 1939 in Belfort in the Territory from Belfort (France), he is the son of Pierre Chevènement, teacher and of Juliette Garessus, teacher. The Chevenement family is Swiss an inhabitant of Franche-Compt3e family of origin (canton of Freiburg).
Prize winner of the open Competition, it is graduate Institut of political studies of Paris and former student of ENA in same promotion (Promotion Stendhal 1963 - 1965) that Lionel Jospin, Jacques Toubon and Ernest-Antoine Seilliere. At its exit, it becomes attached then to advise commercial with the ministry for the Economy and Finances (1965-1973).
He is married in Nisa and has two wire (Raphaël and Jean-Christophe). He is member of the club the Century.
Political courseWhile engaging in the political life. Member of the French Section of International worker (SFIO), it is in favor of a deep restoration of socialism. In this spirit, at the time of the congress of Épinay in 1971 which founds the Socialist party (PS), it gives its support for François Mitterrand who takes the head of the new party. Directing the research, studies Center and of education Socialists (CERES), which constitutes the left wing of the PS, it is charged by Mitterrand with working out the program of the PS and supports the bringing together with the French Communist party (PCF), concretized by the signature of the common Program of government in 1972. However its speech considered to be too radical and the arrival within the PS of Michel Rocard, to which he is opposed, involves his setting with the variation.
- Adheres to SFIO in 1964.
- 1971, it was one of the founders of the Socialist party.
- regional adviser of Franche-Comté (1974-1988).
- first assistant of the mayor of Belfort and president of the council of district of the agglomeration belfortaine (1977-1983).
- March 11th 1973, re-elected in 1978 re-elected in 1981 deputy of the Territory of Belfort.
- 1979, with CERES (left wing of the PS), it supports François Mitterrand with the Congrès of Metz against Michel Rocard and Pierre Mauroy. François Mitterrand carrying it, it with the responsibility of write the socialist program for the presidential one of 1981.
- May 22nd 1981, appointed minister of state, Minister for Research and Technology. He will resign on March 22nd 1983 to protest against the " bracket libérale".
- 1981, elected president of the District council of Franche-Comté (~ 1982).
- February 2nd 1983: He resigns of the ministry for Research to mean his opposition to the rigor and lance his famous sentences: “A minister, that closes his mouth, if that wants to open it, that resigns”.
- March 14th 1983, it is elected mayor of Belfort, is re-elected with each election in (1983-1997 and since 2001); first assistant of the mayor of Belfort (1997-2000) when Lionel Jospin request with its ministers to choose between their functions governmental and local; chair community of agglomeration belfortaine (since 1995).
- July 19th 1984, named Minister for State education (March 19th 1986).
- 1986 and 1988. he is again elected appointed Territoire of Belfort.
- May 13rd 1988, appointed Minister for Defense. He will resign the January 29th 1991 to protest against the engagement of the French Army in the war in Iraq.
- 1991 and in 1993 1997, it is again elected by three times appointed of the Territoire of Belfort.
- 1992 it makes countryside against the ratification of the treaty of Maastricht
- 1993, Criticizing the “drift manager” of the Socialists, it leaves the PS in 1993 transforms the Mouvement of the Citizens (founded in 1992) into political party, whose it assumes the chairmanship.
- 1994, it is chief candidate MDC to the European elections and gains 2,54% of the voices.
- June 4th 1997, appointed Minister of Interior Department. Its standpoint, in particular on the question of immigration and its attitude at the time of the business of without-papers is worth to him many criticisms on behalf of the Greens and of the Communists in particular.
- is one of the defenders of a security policy of left, being opposed in particular to the Minister of Justice, Elisabeth Guigou, on the question of the setting in detention of the young delinquents. Expressing republican position a “and souverainist”, it expresses also its differences in opinion with the other members of the government at the time of the conflict in Kosovo, of the signature of the European Charter of the regional languages and about Corsica. In dissension with the plan of Lionel Jospin on the future of the island, Jean-Pierre Chevènement resigns of the government in August 2000. He will resign the August 29th 2000
- to protest against the " Agreements of Matignon " , which recognizes the Corsican nationalist movements without those not giving up the use of violence beforehand.
- the September 2nd 1998, it is operated calculations with the Gall bladder at the hospital of instruction of the armies of the Valley-of-Grace. It is then victim of a serious accident of anesthesia due to an allergy to the product “curarizing” used: it is plunged in the coma during 8 days, leaves the hospital only on October 22nd, and is held distant from its ministry for 4 months. Its cure will be qualified in the press of “miracle”. Its partisans not liking the not very laic term of “miracle”, Georges Sarre will say: “A miracle, yes, but a republican miracle”. The interim with the ministry for the Interior east ensured by Jean-Jack Queyranne.
- 2000, it is again elected appointed Territoire of Belfort. It will lose its seat in 2002.
- April 21st 2002, candidate with the presidential election, it gains 5,33% of the votes and is placed in sixth position on the 16 candidates present at this first turn. It founds the republican Pôle, which becomes the Republican movement and Citoyen (MRC) of which he is the Honorary president.
- 2004, it founds association for the Fondation Res Publica.
- In March 2004, the MRC is combined with the Socialist party or the PCF in some areas for the regional elections.
- In August 2004, it decides against the Traité establishing a Constitution for Europe, denouncing a risk of vassalisation of the European Union by the the United States.
- In May 2005, Jean-Pierre Chevènement connects the political debates to support not with the European Constitution. Not will collect 54,87% of the voices.
- December 30th 2005, the Fondation Res Publica was declared of public utility by decree.
- November 6th 2006, it announces its candidature for presidential the 2007.
- 10 and December 12th 2006, after a political agreement occurred between MRC and the PS, Jean-Pierre Chevènement withdraws race with the presidential one. This political agreement, which took the form of a Joint Declaration MRC-PS, comprises a political shutter (giving the priority to the economic revival and the fight against unemployment) and is prolonged by an electoral shutter making it possible to MRC to obtain in June 2007 of the representatives to the National Assembly.
- During the electoral campaign, Jean-Pierre Chevènement occupies a very active place near Ségolène Royal.
- With the legislative elections of 2007, it does not manage to take again its seat of deputy with Michel Zumkeller. He resigns of his mandate of mayor the shortly after his defeat.
Synthesis of the political offices
Mandate of Deputy
- appointed PS and MDC of Territory-of-Belfort 1973 re-elected in 1978 re-elected in 1981 Re-elected in 1986 Re-elected in 1988 re-elected in 1991 and 1993 re-elected in 1997 and 2000 has 2002 Battu by Michel Zumkeller in 2002 and 2007
- first assistant of the mayor of Belfort and president of the council of district of the agglomeration belfortaine 1977 - 1983;
- mayor of Belfort 1983 - 2007;
- first assistant of the mayor of Belfort 1997 - 2000;
- Since 2007 City council men of Belfort
- president of the community of agglomeration belfortaine (since 1995;
- regional adviser of Franche-Comté 1974 - 1988;
- vice-president, then president of the district council of Franche-Comté 1981 - 1982;
- secretary of CERES
- national secretary of the PS 1971 - 1975, then 1979 - 1981;
- member of the executive office and the management committee of the PS 1971 - 1981, then 1986 - 1993;
- founder of the Republican Pole in 2002 become Republican movement and citizen in 2003
- honorary president of the MRC, republican movement and citizen since 2003
- president of the foundation " LMBO Publica" since 2005.
- president of the club " Moderne" republic; since 1983
- Minister of state, Minister for Research 1981 - 1982,
- Minister of state, Minister for the Research of Industry 1982 - 1983,
- Government Pierre Mauroy (1))
- Government Pierre Mauroy (2))
- Minister for the State education of (Government Fabius) the 1984 - 1986 fine,
- of the school war
- re-establishment of the civics at the school
- Government Michel Rocard (1)
- Government Michel Rocard (2)
- Law Reseda on the reception from abroad founding territorial asylum (refugee victims of an political organization)
- simplifications of the rules of naturalization, regularization
- Creation of the local police
- Law Chevènement, simplifying the intercommunality and incentive communes to gather
- Appointed Territory of Belfort:
- Commission of the cultural, family and social affairs
- Member of the Commission from June 23rd, 1988 to June 29th, 1988
- Member of the Commission from June 13rd, 1997 to July 4th, 1997
- Member of the Commission from October 24th, 2000 to September 19th, 2001
- Commission of the foreign affairs
- Member of the Commission from April 4th, 1986 to May 14th, 1988
- Member of the Commission from June 21st, 1991 to April 1st, 1993
- Committee of supply, general economy and the Plan
- Member of the Commission from April 8th, 1993 to March 29th, 1994
- Member of the Commission from April 3rd, 1994 to April 21st, 1997
- Member of the Commission from September 20th, 2001 to June 18th, 2002
Local elective functions
- Mayor of Belfort:
- development of university fabric (in particular thanks to its actions as Minister for State education)
- foundation of the CAB (the Community of the agglomeration belfortaine), thanks to the law which it made vote as a Minister of Interior Department
- restoration and color application of the downtown area
- promotion of the project of TGV " The Rhine-Rhône"
Additional detailsIt one of rare “is entartés” to have carried felt sorry for: it obtained in October 2002 the judgment of No5el Godin, a Belgian anarchist-humorous agitator with 800 euros of fine for deliberate violences with premeditation .
|Random links:||Ajedrez | May 23rd | Camarsac | Biquaternion | Waukyne | Frances White | Adventism|