This page relates to the year 788 Calendrier Julien.
- the Francs occupy the territory in the east of the Elba.
- Tender of the Bavaria of Tassilon, which is shown at the general meeting of Ingelheim by its vassal and its bishops to have betrayed the word given and to be itself allied with the Avars to make the war with the Francs. His wife, Liutberge, girl of the former king of Lombards Didier would have incited it with the revolt. The duke is condemned to died and relieved, then locked up in a monastery. The duchy of the Agilolfinges is joined together with the Empire.
- the Carantanie (Slovenia) is incorporated in the frank Empire with the Bavaria. The regional bishops Arno and Deoderic are sent by Charlemagne to reinforce the christianization of the Sloveniens. The liturgy is done initially in vernacular language, then Latin is gradually introduced.
- the Avars launch incursions on the borders of the Bavaria and the the Friuli. In Italy, they cross the plain of Venezia until Vérone, where they set fire to the basilica of San Zeno. In Bavaria, they are continued beyond the border and almost destroyed on the the Danube.
- Offensive Byzantine in Italy of the south. Irene, made indignant by the rupture of engagement between its wire and the girl of Charlemagne, offers its support to the duke Arichis of Bénévent and makes unload in Calabria Adalgis, wire of the last king of Lombards Didier. This one does not obtain the rising of the Lombards discounted. Charles asserts himself on Bénévent and conquers the Istrie.
- Évêché of Bremen. Beginning of the period covered by the chronicles of Adam of Bremen.
- Beginning of the reign of Bermude Ier, king of Asturies.
- the Morocco becomes an independent Berber kingdom with Idris Ier.
Births in 788
Alpine II of Dalriada († 841)
Death in 788
|Random links:||Gallinule | Canton of Jarrie | Ball of the burning ones | Tony Britton | Prunus sibirica | Jason|