Jan Bucquoy is a Réalisateur of cinema born the November 16th 1945 with Harelbeke. It began like manager from theater. After a career of scenario writer of cartoon, it launched out in the cinema. It was preserving museum of the slipway. It is especially known for its intrepid interventions on television and its annual coup d'etat in Brussels. One could categorize it like a post-surrealist artist and situationnist. He is also writer.
Career with the theater
StudiesHe studied the Littérature with Grenoble, the Philosophie with Ghent, the realization with Brussels (INSAS) and the Political sciences with Strasbourg and in the same city at the University of Dramatic art. In Strasbourg, therefore during its studies, it began its experiments of theater with the Laboratoire of Popular Action (L.A.P.) in which it was director of troop. It put in scene parts of Meyerhold, Bertolt Brecht, Fassbinder, Erwin Piscator and Michel de Ghelderode. Of this last it put in scene at Narbonne: Barabbas , Christophe Colomb , Hop Signor! , Masques ostendais and Sortilèges (the latter in collaboration).
FranceDuring a round in the North of France during the summer 1966, it puts in scene Door - closed of Sartre. With Paris, it makes scandal by presenting the part of Fassbinder the bitter Tears of Petra von Kant with a handicapped person pushed in a chair. With Grenoble, he sympathizes with Jean-Luc Godard and works in his studio with the magnetic bands in order to make the cinema lighter in transport. He tests with the actors: theater in round/theater blocks some, in which one sees the actors on all the sides, methods of relieving of actors as in his setting in scene of Christophe Colomb in which the actors must try out the fear of the fall at the end of the world in the boat in a form of Hypnose. These experiments of theater were useful later for him like realizer of cinema (direction of actors).
Career of author of cartoon
Major worksHe is writer and author of about fifty Cartoons: he in particular published the series (Daniel) Yellow with Tito inspired by Alfred Korzybski, the ways of glory (Glénat (editor) 1985) with Daniel Hulet, a French epopee (Glénat (editor) 1990) with Sels and a Parodie Pornographique of Tintin, which he does not hesitate to present by the character of the presenter of Radio operator Cosmos (Claude Semal) in a delirious scene with Lolo Ferrari in the Film worship Camping Cosmos . Without forgetting the thriller the Ball of the dead rat (Glénat 1986) with J.F. Charles who does entirely to Ostend (except for some scenes with Brussels) and which obtain the Prix Saint-Michel of best the Cartoon in 1981. Its film the Sexual life of the Belgians 1950-78 is based on its cartoon Jean-Pierre the Happy one, Brèves Meetings (1987) and All is well (1990) drawn by Jean-Philippe Vidon in whom it incarnates his main character.
He is the opposite of the good makers of scenarios, of comforting people who do not make his errors, but which have so much less to say.
CharactersIts Hero (for example Jean Lamorgue in the Ball of the dead rat or Raymond Lécluse in ways of the glory , which proclaims at the end of the first volume: “Paris, with us two! ”) are often inspired by the main characters of Honore de Balzac (like Lucien de Rubempré, Eugene-Louis of Rastignac, etc) with the recurrent themes of the size, splendor, with the fall, the decline, the illusions lost and miseries. On the other hand the characters of its films are of the anti-heroes who rather transcend the optimism of the protagonists of Charles Dickens like David Copperfield or Oliver Twist . Its realistic approach of the characters in its films and Cartoons is due to Georg Lukacs, author whom he learned has to know thanks to his reading of Guy Debord and its interpretation of the Fétichisme of the goods .
List cartoonsSee external bond: Bibliography of cartoons.
Political careerIt was near to four political parties: BANAAN ( Beter Alternatieven Nastreven Als Apathisch Nietsdoen) , its during French-speaking person BANANA ( Lit Well, We Will burst ourselves ), Vivant and Spirit.
Career with the cinema
FilmsIt carried out with the producer Francis De Smet a series of films “the Vie Sexuelle of the Belgian ” Iconoclastes on the sexual appetite of the Belgians:
- Sexual life of the Belgians 1950-78 (1994) with No5el Godin;
- Camp-site Cosmos (1996) with Arno Hintjens;
- Closing of the Renault factory in Vilvoorde (1998) with Louis Schweitzer;
- Political life of the Belgians (2002) with Benoit Poelvoorde;
- Holidays of Christmas (2005) with Edouard Baer, Yolande Moreau and No5el Godin.
ContentsThese films often leave a political subject involving the protagonists in burlesques situations, the sexual life being a Métonymie for the love life.
Influenced by the Treated good manners with the use of the young generations of Raoul Vaneigem and the Company of the spectacle of Guy Overflow, it considers the world of the media as a continual spectacle which is transformed into Marchandise by the wild Capitalisme. This explains its stormy demonstrations partly on television.
Psychoanalyze and SurrealismIts approach of the Psychoanalysis of certain characters like Milk Ferrari and Tintin is due to its reading of the Écrits of Jacques Lacan for which it has a great admiration. Its title of the film the pleasure of the hysterical with Claude Semal is drawn from the work the pleasure of the hysterical of Lucien Israel, one of the many pupils of Lacan. Jan Bucquoy was regarded by the Belgian Surréaliste Marcel Mariën ( the Imitation of the cinema ) as being his single follower
Career of agitator and artist
Already in its youth, it had taken part in a working revolt in the factories Usinor with Dunkirk and later it would have been participating famous Radio Uilenspiegel which defended the cause of the Flemings in North.
In addition to films carried out or in which he played, Jan Bucquoy is known for a series of extravagances and demonstrations anarchistic. Of which:
creation of a museum of the woman and a museum of the slipway of which he is the conservative (1990).
- it created in 1990 the satirical magazine " Belge" , (30.000 specimens).
- it burns a fabric of Rene Magritte (1991).
- it folkloriquement recovers vulgar slipway its Highness Royal, the whole framed and under glass.
- It does not hesitate to take part in the entartements of political figures and the media (for example: Daniel Toscan of Plantier) at the request of its accomplice No5el Godin.
- Decapitation of the bust of the king Baudouin of Belgium on the Town square of Brussels (1992).
- Coup d'etat of the May 21st 2005, announced since several years: demonstration and arrest in front of the Palais Royal with No5el Godin, holding up an Anarchistic flag of its vintage (red fruit and banana on black bottom).
- third Coup d'etat the May 21st 2007, arrest by two police officers in the neutral zone around the Parliament.
Career of writer
- Jan Bucquoy began as novelist in 1976 with They live under ground and leave only during the night . - Texts - ED. Oswald, Paris.
- disappeared from the wearing of Antwerp , 1979, editions MDM, Paris.
- It took again its career of writer with an autobiographical account whose title of the book is significant: the life is Belgian .
Catalog of filmsNonexhaustive
Sexual life of the Belgians 1950-78 (1994)
- Camp-site Cosmos (sexual life of the Belgians, 2nd part) (1996)
- Cream and punishment /Entartement de Toscan of Plantier to the Cannes festival 1996 (1997) (short-measuring)
- Closing of the Renault factory in Vilvoorde (sexual life of the Belgians, 3rd part) (1998)
- pleasure of the hystericals (sexual life of the Belgians, 4th part) (2000)
- Vrijdag Visdag/Friday Fishday (sexual life of the Belgians, 5th part) (2000)
- Political life of the Belgians (2002)
- the company of the spectacle and its comments (sexual life of the Belgians, 6th part) (2003)
- Holidays of Christmas (2005)
- Sexual life of the Belgians 1950-78 (1994)
- Camp-site Cosmos (1996)
- Closing of the Renault factory in Vilvoorde (sexual life of the Belgians, 3rd part (1998))
- Pleasure of the hystericals (2000)
- Political life of the Belgians (2002)
- Sexual life of the Belgians , 6th part (2003) Realizer
- Aaltra (2003)
- Holidays of Christmas (2005)
Comments on its person
Autodérison or self-destruction?The provocations are a form of autodérision of Jan Bucquoy which often turns to the self-destruction of its career (for example, as author of cartoon: sexual life of Tintin ) what resulted wrongfully in a harmful appreciation from its films.
Jan Bucquoy underwent many criticisms in the French-speaking press:
- “Bucquoy, child of the provos and May 68, eternally excrement-roll, passionately in search of media, stimulating martyrdom of experimental theater, poet at his hours, dreadful jojo of the writing, on the occasion extravagant show-man, bubbling of projects of books and films, antiroyalist to be burst, sardonic iconoclast and good child, travelling Belgian true story. He, the anarchist to the marrow, which finishes its poems thus: This is why /Je prefers the red noir/Au/Même if I make semblant/De choose ”.
- “Bucquoy is a painful buffoon, his art is summarized to defend the bad taste. ” Juan Miralles in the Last hour .
- “It is undoubtedly difficult, if not impossible, to unearth today a also vulgar public figure, also stupid, as hollow as Jan Bucquoy. ” A.P. in Libre Belgique .
- “This bearded is a tinea. Its dialogs are sharpened like a merlin nine and its humor is icy. But which pleasure. ” France Cérésa in Nouvel Observateur .
- “Coarse and ugly! ” Juan Miralles in the Last hour .
- “Intelligent pervert. ” Jacques De Decker in the Evening .
- “Intelligent, cultivated. ” Anne Verdonckt in the Moment .
- “Jan Bucquoy continues its work. To raise the lid so that everyone breathes. ” Andre Kamp in Vif/L' Express train .
In the Flemish and anglophone press
“Shining. ” Paul Montgomery in The NewYork Times .
- “Provocative professional. ” Jan Temmerman in De Morgen .
- “a universal nombrillist” A. Stockman in the Flemish magazine Humo .
Bibliography and sources
- DEPREZ, Philippe, Cream and Châtiment, Heads with Tarts! , in Cinergie 1999, deferred 2003.
- DUBOIS, Philippe and Arnoldy, Edouard: that turns since hundred years , Brussels, French Communauté of Belgium, Wallonia-Brussels, 1995, p. 134.
- SOJCHER, Frederic, the heroic village fair of the Belgian cinema , Paris, Harmattan, 1999, vol. III, p. 125-131.
- THOMAS, Paul, One century of Belgian cinema , Quaregnon, Quorum, 1996, p. 273-274.
- THYS, Marianne, Belgian Belgian cinema/Cinema , Ghent, Ludion/Flammarion, 1999, p. 135 and 252.
- TULAR, J., Dictionary of the cinema. The Realizers , Paris, editions R. Captour, 1999, p. 136.
|Random links:||Advanced Micro Devices | Andre Agassi | Burning heads | Test of Leger | Special Duke | Rhina ancylostoma | Base_aérienne_de_Williams|