See also: Saint-pol.
Saint-Pol.-of-Leon (whose name Breton is Kastell Paol , the castle of pol.; the buildings say simply Kastell) is a common department of the Finistere, in the area Brittany, in France. Its inhabitants is called the Saintpolitains .
HistoryThe common car its name of the one of the legendary saints founders of the Brittany: Holy pol. Aurélien. It seems that it bore the name of Legio at the time Gallo-Roman because a Roman legion was based there. The Latin name was given to all the area which is now the Leon. It was a long time the seat of a évêché now attached to that of Quimper.
The Minihy Paul belonged to the évêché of Leon and was its chief town. It was composed of 7 parishes:
- the Crucifix of the city or the Crucifix in front of the Treasury
- the Crucifix in front of the heart or Notre-Dame de Cahel
- All Saints' day and his trève Roscoff
- Saint-Pierre and his trève Santec
- the Crucifix of the fields
- Midsummer's Day the Evangelist or Trégondern
This commune is known for facts related to the Révolte of the Red Bonnets in 1675.
- Holy pol. Aurélien, êveque with the Life century.
- Jean-Gilles of Coëtlosquet, French academician.
- Gerard Jaffrès, singer
- the battle of artichoke of June 1962
Cathedral Saint-Paul-Aurélien romano-Gothic, 13th-16th centuries, Organ Robert Dallam 17th century;
- Vault of Kreisker, 14th-15th centuries, arrow of 77 meters;
- Fountain of Glory;
- Houses 16th-17th centuries;
- Castle and park of Kernevez;
- Megalith of Boutouiller.
- Holy Manoir Claude de Keramprat XVIéme beginning (disappeared) with its remarkable interior staircase
- the Maison prébendale of Main street (XVIIIe) called Maison Hellard by the Kerné abbot in 1891.Son watch tower of angle is remarkable. The close houses are (XVIIe)
TeachingISFFEL Institute of higher learning of formation fruit and vegetables.
C.E.M.A. Center Musical and Artistic Education.
Personalities related to the commune
- the abbot Conq, former vicar and type-setter
- Yves KERMADEC hero of " My Yves" brother; of Parcelled out Pierre. " It had been years that Yves dreamed to re-examine this Saint pol. of Leon of his naissance"
Works related to the commune
- Life of Saint pol. Aurélien by the canons Thomas and Abgrall
- the cathedral of Saint pol. of Leon and Minihy of the Leon by the canon Peyron
- a Breton city under the revolution by the abbot J.Tanguy de Plougoulm
- Jean-François Of Walk by the abbot Louis Kerbiriou
- three hundred years of apostolate to the Ursulines by Monseigneur Mesguen former bishop of Holy Poitiers
- pol. of Leon by Lucien Lécureux Yearly Historian
- of Brittany by Noelle Hamon
- Breton History of potato by Goulven Mazéas
- With the country of my ancestors by Auguste Bergot
- In the shade of Kreisker by Job of Roincé
- List of the bishops of Leon
- the hurdy-gurdies postcards of Saint pol.
- Year turn Dantelezed
|Random links:||August Kundt | (145) Adeona | Concrete art | May 1929 | Edge (tool) | James_Brown|