He studied the letters at the University of Tirana, then at the Gorki Institute of Moscow. In 1960, the rupture with the Soviet Union obliged it to return to Albania, where it started a career of journalist. It started to write very young person, as of the middle of the years 1950, but initially published only some poetries.
In 1963, the publication of its first novel, the General dead , brought the fame to him, initially to Albania, then abroad.
It obtained the political asylum in France in October 1990.
Its considerable work mixes Romance, news, poetry and theater. Its essential topics are the history of Balkans, the modern history of Albania, the nonsense of totalitarianism, the old legends.
In 2005, he is prize winner of the prestigious Man Booker International .
He is regarded as the Albanian great writer and one of the alive great writers of the world.
Complete works (except for the tests) of Ismail Kadaré were published by the Fayard editions, simultaneously in French and Albanian, between 1993 and 2004.
The publication dates given here are those of the first publication in Albanian, except contrary mention. Kadaré often altered its writings, and the new editions can comprise important differences with the text in origin.
the general dead (1963), adapted to the cinema in 1983 with Marcello Mastroianni
- the skin of drum (1967, under the Albanian title the wedding )
- Chronic of stone (1970)
- the drums of the rain (1970, under the Albanian title the citadel )
- the winter of the great loneliness (1973, also published like the Great Winter ), evokes the rupture of the relationships to the Soviet Union in 1960
- November of a capital (1975)
- the palate of the dreams (1981)
- the twilight of the gods of the steppe (1978)
- commission of the festivals (1978)
- the bridge with the three arches (1978)
- the niche of shame (1978)
- April broken (1980)
- Which brought back Doruntine? (1980)
- Moonlight (1985)
- the black year (1985)
- the procession of the wedding solidified in the ice (1985), which has as a framework the repression of the demonstrations of 1981 with the Kosovo
- Eschyle or the loser (1985, test)
- Concert at the end of the season (1988, also published like the concert ), written in 1978-1981 but censured during seven years, evokes the sino-Albanian relations in the Seventies
- the file H. (1989)
- the Monster (1990), a short version initially appeared in 1965, at once censured
- the decree plugs (1991), written in 1984
- Invitation with the workshop of the writer (1991, test)
- the pyramid (1992)
- the great wall (1993)
- the Shade (1994), written in 1984-86, appeared in French before being finally published in Albanian
- the eagle (1995)
- Spiritus (1996)
- Albanian Spring (1997)
- Three times (1997)
- Albania, Face Of Balkans (1998)
- Three funeral chants for Kosovo (1998)
- the city without signs (1998), early work written in Moscow in 1959
- Mauvaise season on Olympe (1998, theater)
- the take-off of migrating the (1999), written in 1986
- Froides flowers of April (2000)
- One needed this mourning to find (2000), Journal of the war of Kosovo
- the knight with the falcon (2001)
- History of the Union of the Writers Albanian as reflected in the mirror of a woman (2001)
- the girl of Agamemnon (2003), written in 1985
- the successor (2003)
- Life, play and died of Lul Mazrek (2003)
- Hamlet, the impossible prince (2007)
Works on Kadare
This bibliography gathers works of a critical nature dealing with the literature of Ismaïl Kadaré.
Michel Métais, Ismaïl Kadaré and new Albanian poetry , Edition Pierre Jean Oswald, 1973.
- Eric Faye:
- Ismaïl Kadaré, Prométhée carry-fire , Jose Corti, 1991.
- Discussions with Ismaïl Kadaré , Paris, Jose Corti, 1991.
- Alain Bosquet, Dialog with Alain Bosquet , Beech, 1995.
- Alexandre Zotos, De Scanderberg with Ismaïl Kadaré , Publication of the University of Saint-Etienne, 1997.
- the beautiful foreign ones, 13 writers of Albania , Ministry for the culture and the communication, CNL, 1998.
- Gilles To grate and Ismaïl Kadaré, Albania enters the legend and the history , Actes Sud, 2004.
- Maks Bicycle, the disappearance of the " Pashas rouges" of Ismaïl Kadaré, investigation into a literary crime , Beech, 2004.
- Mariam Me raihi, '' Ismaïl Kadaré or the inspiration prométhéenne '', Paris, Harmattan, 2004,
- Shaban Sinani and Stephan Courteous, the Kadaré File, follow-up of the Truth of the undergrounds , Odile Jacob, 2006.
|Random links:||Wemmel | Sex tourism | Sore-Dioulasso | Ulrich Walter | Sírio San Paolo | Leith|