From its dimensions, that is to say 22 km length on 12 km of width, for a surface of 264 km ², the island with the Matches is the greatest insular entity on the course of the Rivière of Outaouais. The municipality includes/understands all the island with the Matches, the Morrison island and the village of Hat as well as the hamlets of St-Joseph, Desjardinsville and Demers Center.
Historical reference marksAlgonquins occupy it with an aim of maintaining control on the Rivière of Outaouais. For this reason, Samuel de Champlain gives him at the time of its voyage from 1613, the name of Isle of Algoumequins. Thereafter, the toponym to which one refers would come owing to the fact that an explorer would have lost his box of matches to the rapids (sault) located at south-east.
In its memories written during second half of the XVIIe century, Nicolas Perrot mentions differently “Isle of One-eyed the ditte Isle of the Matches” . The Borgne toponym would have been allotted because of the infirmity of an Amerindian chief of the area, Tessouat.
In 1650, this indigenous population is almost entirely exterminated by Iroquois. The passage is free but remains hazardous at least until 1701 because of threat iroquoise. It is only into 1818 that Europeans start to be established there. They work mainly with the cut of the wood or on behalf of the Compagnie of Hudson Bay which exploits there a station of draft of the furs located a little more at north with Extremely-William.
The privileged loader-gate being still the river, the majority of the families build their residence in the south of the island where a church is set up in 1840. A violent one sets fire to devastation the near total of the buildings in 1853 and, thereafter, the population is established rather in the western part, on the current site of the municipality of Hat.
As for Demers-Center, one owes his name in Moïse Demers which in 1920, succeeds Paul Desjardins as postmaster. Previously, the hamlet was called Desjardins . The Morrison island, of a surface of hardly 2 km ², named before island of Tessouat, name chiefs Algonquin S who controlled the surrounding territory, it recalls William Morrison (1785-1866), delicatessen with the service of various companies during more than twenty years and which is established there in 1826. This island also has an archaeological layer dating of more than 8.000 years.
- Repertory of the municipalities of Quebec
- Commission of toponymy of Quebec
- municipal Businesses and areas - regional charts
- Site of the municipality on MRC Pontiac.qc.ca
- Official site of the municipality
- Isle with the Matches on Google map On this chart, the village of Hat is not positioned at the good place. It is located exactly where one registered the Isle-With-Matches , under Chichester.
|Random links:||Merge Records | Center local information and of coordination | College Fénelon (Paris) | Study of the preliminary draft in self-help housing in France | Jim Bridger | Khufu_et_Khafre|