Island of Béniguet (Molène)
GeographySouth-western/north-eastern directed strip of land, the island extends on 2,5 km, for a maximum width of 300m. The coasts sandy or are covered with rollers in the east, while the west is rock.
HistoryThe island comprises Celtic traces of occupation (Menhir S and Dolmen S) and Romans.
To the the Middle Ages, it belongs to the Counts de Léon, who yield it to the Abbaye of Saint-Mathieu in 1169. It was then sold in 1569 per 96 Livre S to Jean Kerlec' H Sieur of Plessis, and brought back 5 books per annum to him. In 1736, the abbey wished to recover its old property, and engaged of the lawsuits. With the Revolution, Béniguet became Bien national, and was repurchased by a tradesman of the Conquet.
The island was occupied by peasants from (at least) 1815 in 1953. Primarily cultivating rye and colza, they practiced also the breeding, associating sometimes up to 20 operations. The rollers were also exploited, initially by Gabare S of Lampaul-Plouarzel, then during the war, for the construction of Blockhaus.
In the years 1960, the project to make island a field of fire for the army was pushed back thanks to the collective resignation of the Municipal council of Conquet. Property of ONCFS since 1953, it is classified hunting preserve and wildlife since 1993.
|Random links:||Ingrid Bergman | Pure substance | Mornac (Charente) | That will go better tomorrow | Renee Guards | Serpent_de_HMS|