See also: Iron (homonymy), Maiden (homonymy)
Iron Maiden is a group of British Heavy traditional metal formed in 1975 with the the United Kingdom by the Bassiste Steve Harris and its friend of childhood known under the name The Coop. They were the pioneers of what was called the NWOBHM ( New Wave Of British Heavy Metal ) with the groups Saxon, Def Leppard, Tygers off Pantang, etc the “old wave” was represented by Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Motörhead. Iron Maiden is probably the group heavy metal which collected greatest business success during its history, selling more than 100 million albums.
Their longevity, their compositions powerful and melody, the diversity of their discography and especially their quality of precursors of the kind did of it one of the headlight groups of the scene heavy metal.
The name of the group, whatever the interpretation that one gives him, was prone to controversy: it can refer indeed to the medieval instrument of torture (the Vierge of iron) or to the nickname of Margaret Thatcher which directed during the beginnings of the group the British Conservative party. Certain small pockets of the group show besides the mascot of the group (Eddie), left the imagination of the draftsman Derek Riggs, making an attack against Thatcher, or tearing off a poster representing it. Although the members of the group always defended themselves that the drawings represented British the Prime Minister.
Protestor, therefore, at one time when the Punk had made its place already well, the group took again the rage and energy of punk, but by making music their priority, the message, contrary to that of the punk movement, being secondary. More melody, and more technique, Iron Maiden surprised the United Kingdom.
During the two years which follow, the group changes several times of members, except Harris and Murray, and plays of the songs influenced by Black Sabbath, UFO, Thin Lizzy or Deep Purple. In 1978, the line-up is stabilized by the arrival of Doug Sampson to the battery and the singer Paul Di' Anno. This last brings a punk attitude although the music remains incontestably heavy. The group forges a great popularity with the the United Kingdom by traversing all the clubs of the country which agrees to engage of the formations of hard rock in full punk storm. The musicians become acquainted with Rod Smallwood, their future manager and " sixth membre" . In December 1978, the group records finally its first demonstration, Soundhouse Tapes , published with 5000 specimens. Thanks to the word of mount, this first recording is torn off in a few days. In 1979, Clive Burr replaces Sampson and Dennis Stratton enters the line-up as a second guitarist, more essential for the compositions of the group. A few months later, EMI, being based on the buzz around the musicians, a contract for four albums signs. They enter in studio and record their first true album, Iron Maiden which takes at once the 4th place of the British hit-parade. In spite of a very summary production, one finds the whole of all that the group polishes since of the years and the hundreds in concerts (Phantom Of The Opera, Remember Tomorrow, Iron Maiden, Prowler…). Invited in Top Off The Pop, the quintet refuses to play " Running Free" in Playback and becomes the first goupe to play " live" since The Who in 1972.
Established well in residence, the group opens in the USA for Judas Priest and in Europe for KIS, properly stealing the high-speed motorboat with the latter. Then, Stratton is thanked and replaced by Adrian Smith, a friend of childhood of Dave Murray. On the small pocket of the maximum " Sanctuary" , Eddie stabs Margaret Thatcher which has just torn off a poster announcing a concert of the group. The censure forces the illustrator Dereck Riggs to add a stringcourse with its victim to make it less recognizable (dubious Information, to follow this bond for another version of the incident: http://www.crosstowntraffic.fr/index.php?sujet_id=418). For the individual following, " Woman In Uniform" , the Iron Lady has its revenge. This time it is it, placed in ambush with a rifle, which awaits the mascot of the group to make him its festival.
The year according to, the group leaves Killers (n°12 GB, US n°70), them 2nd very awaited album. Only Killers, Prodigal Its, Genghis Khan, Purgatory and Murders In The Rue Mortuary are new compositions, the remainder already making party of the repertory ground on scene since the end of the 70 ' S. This time, the group called upon the producer Martin Birch (Deep Purple, Whitesnake, Black Sabbath…) for a sound much more clearly and powerful. Iron Maiden starts its first world tour, Killers World Tour, which leads the group for the first time of its career to Japan following the round Européenne and American.
In September 1981, Di' Anno is returned group due to abuse Drogue S and its rejection of any project of long round. It is replaced by Bruce Dickinson ex-Samson, which is dissociated from its predecessor by a more melody and varied voice. An Italian round in 5 concerts takes place mid-October 81 to introduce the new singer and thus to break the ice. As of its beginnings, song of Bruce have the discounted effects: the album The Number off the Beast leaves on March 22nd, 1982 and is an international success. The album reaches the first position with the the United Kingdom and is certified disc of gold in the USA (n°1 GB, US n°33). In the United States, reaction of the puritan mediums against the small pocket " sataniste" group is worth a skilled of publicity to him. The titles Number off the Beast, Run to the Hills and Hallowed Be thy Name are essential like traditional absolutes, impossible to circumvent recalls in concert. The group then starts its second world tour, 179 concerts in front of 1 million spectators, the venturing quintet this time also in Australia. At the end of the round, Clive Burr must leave the group following health issues. Its successor is called Nicko Mc Brain, beater jazz of formation and ex-member of the French group Trust. Iron Maiden thus finds its formation most popular which will remain unchanged until 1990.
The golden age
Contrary to the preceding album, recorded under pressure, the fourth disc is designed in the Bahamas in a pub converted into studio. Especially, the relations slacken between Harris and Dickinson which on the preceding round tended to dispute the first place on scene, one to keep its leadership, the other to affirm its presence. The result is with the height of the hopes. In 1983 appears, " Part Off Mind" (n°3 GB, US n°14), licked production, started from melody ultra guitars, beater virtuoso, singer in a state of grace and brilliant type-setter-bass player, all is there. The second individual one, " The Trooper" , is enough to summarize the impact of the album at the time of its exit. It is certified disc of platinum in the USA and in spite of a popularity still relatively limited in the Uncle Sam, the group decides to assemble there its first round of the large arenas at the head of poster. Risky bet but which functions and inaugurates one era of prosperity for the quintet on the New World.
Continuing a plan of career defined by Smallwood, the group agrees only a few months of rest before finding the way of the studios and polishing its new plan of attack: a gigantic round of more than one year passing not only by the USA, Japan, Western Europe and Australia but also South America and certain countries of the USSR, which is then not very current. It envisages a fixed calendar in 6 concerts per week (unthinkable nowadays) in more the big rooms and stages of the world, the displacement of an enormous infrastructure of which decorations inspired of ancient Egypt. Name of the animal: " World Slavery Tour" , of the name of the album " Powerslave" (n°2 GB, US n°21) which leaves in 1984.Cette time, it is a tidal wave which makes enter Iron Maiden to the Pantheon of the rock'n'roll. Avalanche of gold and platinum, triumphal round, passage to the festival Rock'n'roll In Rio, all that would be nothing without the main thing: a succeeded album whose title all particulièrment will take the statute of great classic, " 2 minutes to midnight" , but also another title often considered as one their masterpieces, epic the " The Rhyme Off The Ancient Mariner" who is spread out over 13 minutes and will be played during all the round. The 4 concerts Length Beach Arena in California (50 000 spectators) are recorded for the needs for an album live. Appeared in 1985, " Live After Death" (n°2 GB, US n°19) imposes itself like a historical testimony of this long tour. Bruce Dickinson leaves éreinté the round and will not take part in the writing of the next disc.
Arrived to a top of popularity, the group decides to innovate by adding some electronic keys with its new opus, " Somewhere In Time" (n°3 GB, US n°11) which gives up the antiquity of the Pharaons for the futuristic world of Blade Runner whose topic will be used as introduction to the concerts of the next round. To compensate for the provisional obliteration of Dickinson, Adrian Smith is called in reinforcement for the composition. It signs three of the major pieces of the album, of which " Wasted Years" and " Stranger In has Strange Land" who will serve as individual. Even if it surprises certain fans, the album is a success equivalent to the precedent and announces already the evolutions of the next one. A news and interminable round are set in motion and occupy the group until the semione.
The following year, Iron Maiden reaches the culminating point of its career with " Seventh Its Off has Seventh Son" (n°1 GB, n° 12 US), concept masterly album where the group crosses metal and progressive rock'n'roll. It seems the completion of a started evolution dice the first album and which made pass a modest group of London commuter to the statute of greater group of European metal. 3 individual, " Edge I PLay With Madness" , " The Evil That Men Do" and " The Clairvoyant" are classified in the Top Ten British. This album is often regarded as the best example of what can give collaboration between Harris, principal type-setter since the beginnings and Smith and Dickinson whose implication increased with time. In heating room of the US round, one finds Megadeth then Guns Pink. In August, Iron Maiden is head of poster of the largest edition of the festival Monsters Of Rock'n'roll of Donington, in front of 110.000 spectators. The day is marked by the death of two spectators during the set of Guns Pink.
At the end of the round, Bruce Dickinson launches out in its first album solo with to the guitar certain Jannick Gers and share in round as a recluse. On its side, Adrian Smith makes in the same way by forming the group AsAP (Adrian Smith and Project), before leaving Iron Maiden with the beginning of the year 1990. Meanwhile, Gers is established as substitute of Smith. Iron Maiden initially leaves individual envisaged for the album solo Dickinson, " Bring your daughter To The Slaughter". The title is n°1 in England and figure on the B.O of Freddie 5. In parallel, the group publishes the collection " First Ten Years" , a series of 10 double individual CD, corresponding to all the 45 turns of the quintet since its beginnings. Shortly after the album " leaves; No Prayer For The Dying" (n°2 GB, US n°17) which marks a certain disappointment at the fans. A production considered to be poor, pieces considered little inspired, this new opus is supposed to return to the simplicity of the beginnings to hold head with the new generation. On the contrary, a statégie which proves not very convincing near the fans.
The group is then conscious that it is necessary for him to be seized again not to finish absorbed like a good part of the groups of the years 1980. Times change, the grunge Nirvana is on the point of exploding and a new generation of groups of metal, Metallica at the head continues with a sound much more modern. Iron Maiden thus makes its great return forms some in 1992 with " Fear Off The Dark" (n°1 GB, US n°12). Announced by individual furious, " Be Quick Gold Be Dead" , it presents a group ready with in découdre with its new competitors. In spite of some songs considered by certain fans less quality and a tendency to lorgner towards AC/DC (" From Young stag To Eternity"), it presents two new titles which will acquerront a statute of traditional, " Afraid To Shoot Strangers" and especially " Fear Off The Dark" who joined the troop of impossible to circumvent in concert. The album runs out to 1 million specimens the week of its exit and puts the yoke at a new generation of fans. The next summer, the group is once again head of poster of Monsters Of Rock'n'roll whose capacity is limited to 75000 spectators for safety reasons. The machine seems definitively started again but…
At the beginning of 93, the group announces the exit of an album live in two parts, " In Real Live One" (n°3 GB, US n°106), devoted to the period 86-92 and " In Real Dead One" (n°12 GB, US n°140) with 80-84. It is at this time that Dickinson announces that it leaves the formation to be devoted to its career solo. In spite of this clap of thunder, the singer honors the second part of the round until his term. The group closes the year with a third album live, " Live At Donington" (n°23 GB) and the future appears dubious.
The following year, the group introduces to the press its new singer, Blaze Bayley, ex- Wolfsbane, with the more serious and less typical voice of the years 1980. After a long delay, " The X Factor" (n°9 GB, n° 147 US) the day in 1995 sees. Radically different album, business success is not really with go, although it contains judged pieces of good quality like, of which " Sign off The Cross" , or " The Edge Off Darkness". It leaves individual " there; Man Off The Edge" , " Lord Of The Flies" like " Virus" (Share I and II). If the group maintains its popularity on the old continent, it loses foot in the USA completely where the alternate one and the punk néo succeeded the grunge and temporarily buried traditional metal. At the time of the round, one notes that the voice of Bayley does not adapt to some of traditional group. In 1996, Harris manages the design of the first best off group, " Best Off The Beast" , which under its format 33 turns collector includes famous the " Soundhouse Tapes". One year later, the album " Virtual XI" (n° 16 GB, n° 124 US), in spite of good pieces, reiterates the commercial semi-failure and confirms the decline of the group. At this stage, old the n°1 of British metal seems condemned. The future will decide some differently.
In 1999, the group announces in an official press release the replacement of Blaze Bayley by… Bruce Dickinson, which makes its return after the success of its career solo. It is accompanied by Adrian Smith, without that involving the departure of Jannick Gers. The group will thus evolve/move with 3 guitarists, each one being at the same time rhythmic and soloist. After a long stay in studio, the 6 musicians are confined in 2000 of the album of the great return, " Honest New World" (n°7 GB, n° 39 US). One finds modernized the progressive elements which had made the success of the largest discs of the formation (" The Wicker Man"). The fans of the new generation adhere in mass and the ressuscite group to the USA. The round makes it possible to join again with more the big rooms and is completed in 2001 at the head poster of the Rock'n'roll In Rio in front of 254.000 spectators.
From now on, the group will record an album all the 2 or 3 years, accompanied by a round of the stages of short duration. Iron Maiden thus continues its return in 2003 with " Dance Off Death" (n°2 GB, n° 18 US) and a new head of poster with Donington. The group is posted with more complex directions, with pieces like Paschendale, Journeyman, or Dance off Death. It is followed of one ènième live, " Death One The Road" (n°22 GB), testimony of a round which will have seen the group under a presentation more theatrical than before. Then in 2005, a DVD " leaves; The Early Days" recalling the beginnings of the groups, a round devoted to the first 4 albums is followed from there, which will be seen beating speed records for the sale of tickets. Formation between besides in the club very closed of the groups of hard rock to have filled the Park of the Princes. Success is total but an big event comes to disturb it. The group takes share with the Ozzfest of Ozzy Osbourne as a head of poster the August 20th 2005 in suburbs of Los Angeles. Following operations of Sharon Osbourne, part of crowd starts to hoot Iron Maiden and to even launch eggs to them. Bruce Dickinson goes there then from one shingling speech towards the control of Sharon. This one retorts, little time after, while pretexting to regulate its problems with Dickinson. This unhappy incident does not change however anything with popularity group. Moreover, this incident day before, its members group are invited to leave their prints of hands on Hollywood' S Rock Walk of the famous store of music Guitar Center. They are found thus registered in the legend at the side of more than 160 other famous groups or artists such as for example AC/DC, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, B.B. King, Black Sabbath, KIS, Jimi Hendrix, Queen or Van Halen, Yes, ZZ Top, etc
In 2006, the group reached of new tops with " In Matter Off Life And Death" (n°4 GB, n° 9 US). Unanimous reception on the way to become quite simply the largest success of the group, 26 years after the first album. For this round, the group surprises the public, by playing for the first time since their 1st album the entirety of the disc. The show finishes with only one handle of traditional old men (Hallowed Be Thy Name, Fear Of The Dark or Iron Maiden)… A polemic is done then day with the fans who at the time of certain concerts hold up signs with this simple message: " Play classics! ". Beginning of the year 2007, the group, hardly left the preceding round, announces a new round in March 2007. At the time of this round Iron Maiden played at the head of poster with Serves Rock'n'roll Festival of Dubai on March 9th, 2007. Result of the success of the last album in the area: n°2 in Saudi Arabia, a first for an rock group. The album is placed at the same position to India, still a first in the history of the rock'n'roll and there still, a concert with place in Bangalore, first concert of Rock'n'roll to India of such a scale. The group have proposals for HongKong, Shangaï and Beijing, but declined the offer because the authorities Chinese their prohibited to play certain pieces. In June 2007, for the 25 years of The Number Off The Beast, the group starts a round of the festivals in which they play 4 songs of this last, of which traditional Children Of The Damned, 5 of " In Matter off Life and Death" and 6 traditional. This round is named has Matter Of The Beast Tour .
Mascots of Iron Maiden
Eddie and small pockets
The mascot of the group is Eddie , a kind of death-alive reproduces in various postures on all the small pockets of the group (except for those of some individual: The Soundhouse Slaps, Live+one, Running free/Sanctuary, From young stag to eternity, Wasting coils, Wrathchild (republication 1999) and The wicker man). It is called “Eddie the 'ead” (" Eddie the tête") because, at the beginning, only its head was posted on scene. In fact with the whole beginning, it was only about one white mask laid out with the top of the scene and which at the end in the concerts spit blood and smoke. When Riggs started to work for the group, it brought the idea of Eddie. According to its clean dires, it took as a starting point a report on the war of Vietnam: the Vietnamese soldiers had hung on one of their tank the emaciated head of a captured GI, Eddie had been born. The character d'" Eddie the 'ead" would also come from an old funny story, typical of the English black humor, which circulated in the district of East End, in London: Eddie was a newborn without head to which somebody would have offered a hat for its first birthday… With regard to the giant puppet, it appears on scene for the first time during the round " Beast One The Road" (1982). The idea was to give to the shows a more spectacular side. Its appearances will correspond consequently with the small pockets and the topics illustrated for the albums (mummy, cyborg…)
The small pockets almost all are signed of the draftsman Derek Riggs, at least until in 1992. With the wire of the albums, Eddie evolves/moves and has thus a history.
On the first three small pockets, it is a zombie with the long hair like all the hardware rockers of the time. On the album Part off Mind , Eddie is made lobotomiser; one sees the purulent scar of trepanation, and the top of the skull is maintained by a screwed plate. The small pocket represents it connected in a strait jacket, in an upholstered room. On the album Somewhere in Time , Eddie cybernétise and gains an electronic eye which it will keep to the following album.
The most worked small pockets are without doubts those of the Powerslave , the Live after Death and the Somewhere in Time (the time of vinyl to the large small pockets supports indeed, the representation on a fresco scale). One finds there a multitude of details, quotation of fantastic works and science fiction, and references to the old albums. One can quote for example:
- Powerslave : among the hiéroglyphes, one distinguishes a head from Mickey Mouse, a graffiti Indiana Jones was there
- Live after Death
- a quotation of Howard Philips Lovecraft on a tomb ( That is not dead which edge eternal binds, yet with strange eons, even death may die , did not die what forever sleeps, and in the length of the strange eras, death even can die )
- the black cat of the small pocket of various Killers'
- graffiti on the tomb stones
- the shade of the reaper to the background
- Somewhere in Time
- the street of the first two albums, with the standard lamp, the dustbin, the windows coloured and a poster with the first drawing of Eddie
- a clock indicates “23:58” for Two minutes to midnight (album Powerslave ), a bar is called Aces High (and one distinguishes the silhouette from a Supermarine Spitfire) (id.)
- Icare fall from the sky ( Flight off Icarus , album Piece off Mind )
- the pyramid of Tyrell Corporation (which also evokes the album Powersalve ), drawn from the film Blade Runner of Ridley Scott
- a pub is called Ruskin Arms , of the name of the pub in which made known itself the group, just like Rainbow and long beach Arena (where the group conquered the United States).
- a club is called the marquee , of the name of a pub where the group played
- in a window, a streamer indicates to back “this has very boring painting”
- the window of a bar posts a quotation of painting Night hawks (Night-birds) of Edward Hopper
- the group of the day to metal club (under the footbridge) is Gypsy' S KIS, the name of the first group of Steve Harris
- the plate of street “Acacia Which occurred” in reference to the song 22, Acacia Avenue
- With the back, in streamer on a bridge, the small preferred football club of a member of the group beats the club headlight of the time
- the Ancient Mariner Seafood restoring refers to the song The Rime off the Ancient Mariner
- the Phantom off the Opera House , reference to the song Phantom off the Opera (Album: Iron Maiden)
- Night club Sand Dune reference to the song To Tame has Land and with the cycle of Dune of Frank Herbert.
- one distinguishes a smiley on one from the turns to the background
- at the bottom from the city, of the pyramids evoking the album Powerslave'
- On the frontage of a building, just above the representation of the five musicians, one can see the writing " Maggie' S Revenge" , in homage to the small pocket of Prowler (Japanese edition) and Sanctuary (individual different, but identical small pocket), illustration on which one could see Eddie maltreating with a certain mischievousness the Prime Minister for the time: Margaret Thatcher.
- One can distinguish on the poster from the cinema the <
- Bruce Dickinson holds a brain, and one sees, above the footbridge, the metal part being used to close again cranium of Eddie, in reference to the album Piece off Mind.
- There is still enormously like the eye of Horus, the sign on the chest of Eddie (signature of the artist Derek Riggs) which one finds on the small pocket of Powerslave, Charlotte on the 1st floor of Ruskin, etc
Charlotte is a 40 year old prostitute who returns in four songs: Charlotte the Harlot (album Iron Maiden ), 22, Acacia Avenue (album The Number off the Beast ), Hooks In You (album No Prayer For The Dying ) and From Here to Eternity (album Fear off the Dark ). Paul Di' Anno says that it really exists, it would have exerted his trade in the district where Paul grows.
The sources of inspiration of the words are very varied. “Inspiration” does not mean that the song reports the source, the words are sometimes simply satisfied to collect an environment or an element of original work.
- the Phantom of the Opera , novel of Gaston Leroux ( Phantom off the Opera , album Iron Maiden )
- the news The Murders in the Street Mortuary ( Double assassination in the street Mortuary ) of Edgar Allan Poe for the song of the same name, album Killers
- the novel Dune of Frank Herbert for the song To Tame has Land , album Piece off Mind
- the poem The Charge Off The Light Brigade published in 1854 by Lord Tennyson, which refers to an episode of the Crimean War. Steve Harris of known as " It is inspired by the Crimean War, which opposed the British to the Russians. The intro is judicious to recreate the gallop of the horses at the time of the load of the light brigade. It is a piece of atmosphère". For The Trooper , album Part off mind .
- the poem The Rhyme off the Ancient Mariner of Samuel Taylor Coleridge (romantic British poet) for the song of the same name, album Powerslave
- the sacrifice of Iphigénie in Iliade of Homère, for the song Bring your daughter… to the slaughter , album No prayer for the dying
- the novel the Name of the pink ( It names beyond rosa ) Umberto Eco for the song The Sign off the Cross , album The X Factor
- the novel Lord off the Flies ( Its Majesty of the flies ) of William Golding for the song of the same title, album The X Factor
- the novel Honest New World ( Brave New World ) of Aldous Huxley for the song of the same name, album of the same title.
- Cycle of the Chronicles of Alvine the Maker of Orson Scott Card for Seventh Its off has Seventh Its.
- the news The loneliness off the long distance runner ( the loneliness of the long-distance runner ) of Allan Sillitoe, published in 1962, for the song of the same name, album Somewhere in time
- the novel Heart off darkness ( In the middle of darkness ) of Joseph Conrad for the song The edge off darkness (X-Factor). The film Apocalypse Now (1979) of Francis Ford Coppola is also drawn from the book.
- the book the book of the five rings of Miyamoto Musashi for the song Sun and steel , album Part off mind . The song speaks about the author, legendary a Samurai Japanese, and quotes some passages of the book.
- the Prodigal sons ( Prodigal His , album Killers )
- Lucifer in ( Lord off Light , album has off Matter Life and Death )
- the Purgatoire ( Purgatory , album Killers )
- the song " Lord off the flies" , resulting from the album " X factor": " Lord of the mouches" of Hebrew Belzébuth
- the Apocalypse is the literal translation, with
- The Number off the beast (album of the same name), which starts with a quotation of the Apocalypse (Chapter 13, verse 18): Woe to you, oh earth and sea, for the devil feels the beast with wrath because He knows the time is shorts. Let him who hath understanding recon the number off the beast, for it has human number; its number is 666 - Misfortune with you, the sky and the ground, because the devil sent the demon, carried fury, because it knows that little time remains to him. That which has intelligence interprets the number of the animal, because it is a human number; and this number is 666
- Revelations (which indicates the English Apocalypse, album Piece off mind )
- Moonchild , who evokes the seven seals of the apocalypse like Babylon, the scarlet prostitute as well as the play of Aleister crowley of the same name.
Film S and televised series
- the series The Twilight zone (the fourth dimension) of Rod Serling, for the song éponyme of the album Killers .
- the televised series The Prisoner ( the Prisoner , with Patrick McGoohan), for the song of the same title, album The Number off the Beast like for the song Back in the village , album Powerslave
- the film They Died with Their Boots One ( the fantastic Load ) of Raoul Walsh (1941) for the song Die with your boots one , album Part off Mind
- the film Where Eagles Dare ( When the eagles attack ) of Brian G. Hutton (1969) for the song of the same name, album Part off Mind
- the film The Duellists ( Duellistes ) of Ridley Scott (1977) for the song of the same name, album Powerslave
- the film Run Silent, Run Deep ( the Odyssey of the submarine Nerka ) of Robert Wise (1958) for the song of the same name, album No Prayer for the Dying
- the film When Worlds Collide ( the Shock of the worlds ) of Rudolph Subdued (1951) for the song When Two Worlds Collide , album Virtual XI
- the film The Wicker Man of Robin Hardy for the song éponyme.
- the film Braveheart of Mel Gibson (1995) for the song The Clansman (Virtual XI)
- the film Children off the damned ( Children of damnés the ) (1963) of Anton Leader for the song of the same name, album The number off the beast . The film a little took as a starting point itself the novel of John Wyndham, The Midwich Cuckoos ( the Village of damnés the )
- the film the War of fire of Jean-Jacques Annaud (1982) for the song Quest for fire , album Piece off mind .
- the film Falling down ( Freefall ) (1992) of Joel Schumacher for the song Man one the edge , album X-Factor .
- the film Apocalypse Now (1979) of Francis Ford Coppola for the song The edge off darkness , album X-Factor .
- Genghis Khan (song éponyme), album Killers
- the death of Jules César; César is assassinated by Brutus ( You quoque semi fili ) with Ides of march in -44. For The ides off March on the album Killers .
- life of Alexandre Large the for the song Alexander the Great , album Somewhere in Time
- to rough-hew it heretics Cathares with Montségur for the song Montsegur , album Dance off Death
- pilgrims of the Mayflower in The Pilgrim
- the battle of England for the song " Aces High" , Powerslave album, 1984
- the unloading of Normandy on June 6th, 1944 in Longest Day
- the Project Manhattan, the design of the first atomic bomb in Brighter than has thousand Suns
- the Indian Wars in North America (1860 ') for the song " Run to the Hills", album The Number off the Beast, 1982
- the 1st world war in Paschendale, Dance album off the Death (2003). The third battle of Ypres, also known under the name of battle of Passchendaele, according to the name of the village which was the main aim of the troops Alliées.Durant this period, from July 31st to November 12th, 1917, on the whole, more than one half-million of soldiers (300 000 British, including 38.000 ANZAC and 16.000 Canadians, and 250.000 Germans) were killed for the profit of a few meters on the enemy lines.
the members of Iron Maiden have pastimes which can appear strange for rock'n'roll-stars: if Steve Harris, like about all the members of the group, is a fan convinced of football, others have passions which can appear more shifted for musicians of heavy metal. Thus, the singer Bruce Dickinson is writer, professional fencer, organizer radio operator, and airline pilot air commercial in his spare time, the beater Nicko McBrain slackens while playing the golf and by collecting various parts of art and pottery, and guitarist Adrian Smith while going to fishing.
At the beginnings of the group, Rod Smallwood, after hearing of a demonstration, had organized two concerts to judge its quality on scene and to see whether it were going or not to become its manager. Steve Harris refused to play first concert because it was held too early and that there was likely not to be nobody. At the time of the second concert, Steve had to do without Paul Di' Anno which had been stopped for detention of a knife of which it was useful in his stage business, and had to sing at the same time as it played of low. The instrumental passages were lengthened and Di' Anno ensured last half an hour of song. In spite of the catastrophic result according to the opinion of Harris itself, Rod Smallwood (which had required itself of Harris to sing) was convinced all the same of the potential of the group.
Because of its small pockets and its image, Iron Maiden was frequently shown to be made up satanists. The answer being obviously negative, during the interviews, the members of the group often do not hesitate to turn in derision this recurring question.
During the round following the exit of the album The Number Off The Beast called also " The Beast One The Road" , Iron Maiden turns in the whole world and connects the concerts in more the big rooms and the stages. On his arrival in Australia, one asks the person in charge of the round to multiply the dates. The group, which however enjoys a planetary success, thus finds itself to play in a cabaret at the fine bottom of the Australien desert. Dave Murray tells that between the songs one heard " Count 76, the Steak is prêt". After the concert the Manager Rod Smallwood, with his lack of legendary tact, calls the person in charge of the round by setting fire to it on the telephone whereas it was 3 or 4:00 of the morning in England…
During the recording of the album The Number off the Beast , Steve Harris said to have heard strange sounds leave its low. The musicians and the team of recording evoke also the fact that certain lights in the studio died out the one moment space for finally returning to the normal
to also note that at the time of The number off the beast , their producer (Martin Birch) had a light car accident whose expenses of repair rose with 666 £. He refused to pay the invoice such as it is, insistent to pay 667 £.
In 2005, the group was made launch eggs by the public of Ozzfest. Sharon Osbourne explained in interview why it had given eggs to the public so that it can shoot them at the singer Bruce Dickinson, because Bruce Dickinson said that it had created the Ozzfest, and that it had the right to make what it liked, but Bruce Dickinson Na not creates this festival, because it at summer creates by Ozzy Osbourne and his wife Sharon Osbourne in 1996.
At the time of their passage in the town of Quebec, during their round " In Matter off Life and Death" (2006), Janick Gers (guitarist) was made apprehend by the local police. Thereafter, the agent required an autograph and a photograph with him of him. Of course, the whole was envisaged in advance, but it was cocasse. Certain people on the forums said: " Ah. I believed that it had been made apprehend for strange gesticulation! " …
Still with Quebec, during the round Powerslave (with Twisted Sister in first part), a man died while falling from the footbridge of the press of Colisée of Quebec. It was crushed directly on the floor in full concert.
The Number Of The Beast is the object of a homage a bit shifted on behalf of the studio of development of video games Rockstar Games: indeed, in the play Large Theft Car: Defect City, the parodic group of heavy metal The Lovefists , which entrusts some missions to the hero incarnated by the player, makes the promotion of its new album, entitled The Number Of The Breast , literally " The number of the sein" , written in a graphic style similar to the logo of Iron Maiden.
See also: official Discography of Iron Maiden, Discographie pirates of Iron Maiden
- Video Parts (1983)
- Behind the Iron Curtain (1985)
- Live After Death (1985)
- 12 Wasted Years (1987)
- Maiden England (1989)
- Up the Will go - The First Ten Years (1990)
- From There to Eternity (1992)
- Donington Live 1992 (1993)
- Raising Hell (1994)
- The Number Of The Beast (2001)
- Rock in Rio (2002)
- Visions off the Beast (2003)
- The Early Days (2004)
- Death one the Road (2006)
- has off Matter Life and Death (2006)
Principal Best compilations off
- 2002: Edward the Great
- 2002 : Eddie' S Files
- 2005: The Essential Iron Maiden
Carmageddon II (1998) comprises in its band its 4 pieces: Be quick gold Be dead , Aces High , Man one the Edge and The Trooper .
- ED Hunter (1999). Play published by the group, of poor quality, it was made only for the fans.
- Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 which contains the song The Number Of The Beast in its band sound.
- Large Theft Car: Defect City which contains the song 2 Minutes To Midnight in its band sound.
- SSX One Turn which contains the song Run To The Hills in its band sound.
- Guitar Hero II on X-Box 360 in which or can play the song The Trooper .
- Guitar Hero III on in which or can off play the song * Number the beast .
Participation of the musicians in the recordings
- Groups of music
- Heavy metal
- Official site
- Official site of the singer Bruce Dickinson
Simple: Iron Maiden
|Random links:||Famicom MODEM | Rita Montaner | The Cat boot (1969, Yabuki) | Didier Christophe | Automobile Grand Prix of Germany 1966 | Folklore_des_Etats-Unis|