International festival of film of Locarno
This Festival is recognized by the International federation of film producer associations in the category “competitive festivals”.
It has the role to introduce the new tendencies, currents and scenario writers by promoting the cinema of author and artistic quality. The films which are presented there in competition are new apart from the country of origin. For the other sections, the films are new in Europe, except in the country of origin.
The Piazza Grande is the place emblematic of the festival. Certain films are projected there in the open air on very a big screen (26 m of length and 14 m in height) for: 8000 spectators sitted.
The principal reward decreed by the Jury is the Léopard of gold.
See also: Leopard of gold
- the International competition : A selection in first world or international of feature-length films of fiction, one duration higher than 60 minutes.
- the Competition Scenario writers of the present : A selection in first world or international of radical and innovative works in their step, their subject or their style.
- Here and elsewhere : Documentary films or of fictions presenting an original vision of the present in the fields of the policy, the history, the company or arts.
- Piazza Large : A selection in first world or international, the works general public signed by true authors, films of kind original, or the best documentary ones of recent creation.
- Retrospective : Monograph historical, program set of themes or integral of a large contemporary scenario writer.
- Leopards of tomorrow : Competition of courts and medium-length films of young scenario writers not having carried out feature-length films yet. Two distinct competitions:
- Young Swiss realizers
- Play Forward : Experiments of contemporary audio-visual creation. Works carried out on digital support.
- Open Doors : Competition to clarify projects of films resulting from country whose cinema is in the process of development and to allow them to find partners of production.
- the Week of Criticism : Documentary films (organized by the Swiss Association of the Cinematographic Journalists).
- Names Switzerland : Swiss a film selection already left in room or already presented in other international festivals (organized by the Swiss Association of the Producers, Swiss Sr SRG Idea, Swiss Films and the Swiss Association of the Realizers).
- video Contest (of 1996 to 2005). Is replaced since 2006 by the Cinéastes competition of the present .
- For international competition:
- For the competition Scenario writers of the present (since 2006, replaces the video contest): the Price Scenario writers of the present as well as the Special price of the “jury Movies Cinema” (purchase of film preceded by the television channel Movies Cinema).
- Leopard of the First work for the best first work, with a film of “International competition “or competition “Scenario writers of the present”.
- the prices Leopards of tomorrow (since 1991).
Are also decreed:
- the Leopard of honor : Homage has a famous scenario writer (since 1989).
- the Locarno Excellence Award : Homage has a famous actor (since 2004).
- the Price Raimondo Rezzonico : Homage has an independent producer (since 2002).
- the Price of Public UBS .
HistoryThe first edition of the Festival opens its doors the August 23rd 1946 with projection, in the inclined park of “Large Albergo” (Large Hotel), of O plate me of Giacomo Gentilomo. The festival was organized in less than three months for stage impossibility of holding the festival with Lugano following the refusal of the people of this town of build an amphitheater for this purpose. There be 15 films with the program.
The first official competition take place in 1949, then regularly since 1958.
In 1951 and 1956 the festival does not take place.
As of 1968 the prices are named “ Léopard ”. Before this date the rewards carried various names such as for example “ Voile of Gold ”.
In 1971: On an idea of the architect Livio Vacchini Piazza Grande becomes the principal place of projections and gives fresh impulse to the festival.
Moritz de Hadeln is director between 1972 and 1977.
Marco Müller is director between 1992 and 2000.
Irene Bignardi is director artistic between 2000 and 2005.
Since August 2005 Frédéric Maire is the current artistic director of the festival.
In 2007 four rooms as well as Piazza Grande are equipped for the High-definition (D-Cinema). 17 films of selection 2007 are diffused into digital.
- Festival of Locarno 2003
- Festival of Locarno 2004
- Festival of Locarno 2005
- Festival of Locarno 2006
- Festival of Locarno 2007
|Random links:||Bosc-Roger-in-Roumois | Youenn | Professional Association off Diving Instructors | Takerboust | Lothar Zagrosek | Comté_de_Bourbon,_le_Kansas|