Inter-University library of pharmacy
The inter-University Bibliothèque of pharmacy (BIUP) is a Parisian inter-University library specialized in pharmaceutical and biological sciences.
HistoryThe history of the collections of the BIUP goes back to a gift of works makes in November 1570 by four Masters of the community of the apothecary-grocers of Paris to their corporation. Other gifts of the guards of the community pack the common library until in 1777, date on which is created the Collège of Pharmacy of Paris. The funds of works and files passes in 1803 under the responsibility of the secretary of the School for Pharmacy and certain professors (in particular Nicolas Gaston Guibourt).
The function of librarian appears within the School of pharmacy only in 1878, then a payment for the service between in force in February 1882. This same year 1882, the School and the library leave the old Garden of the apothecaries street of the Crossbow and move in the new buildings of the Avenue of the Observatory.
It is especially the doctor and historian Paul Dorveaux (1851-1938), librarian of 1884 with 1922, which will mark the establishment of a durable print, by the organization of a policy of conservation and acquisition, concerning as well the current scientific production as the old manuscripts and works.
Under the directions of Gabriel Garnier (1936-1961) and Yvonne Ruyssen (1961-1973), the library knew new changes: increase in the manpower, reorganization of the buildings and opening of a new room of reading (Dorveaux room) in 1958.
The library is integrated in 1972 in the inter-University library C under the terms of decree 72-132 of February 10th. It takes the inter-University name of Library of pharmacy following decree 78-1122 of November 16th, 1978.
A room of reading specific to the students (Fialon room) was open in 1991.
Statute and operation
Installed within the pharmaceutical and biological Faculty of Science of Paris and attached to the University Paris Descartes, the BIUP is inter-University since a convention passed in 1979 between the university Paris V - Rene Descartes and the Université Paris XI (faculty of pharmacy of Châtenay-Malabry). It is directed by a Conservateur of the libraries, currently Laurence Boitard.
The BIUP is CADIST of beauty care since 1989, and pole associated with the National library of France for pharmacy.
Paul Dorveaux. Historical of the library of the School of pharmacy of Paris… followed analysis of the first register of the files of the School of pharmacy . Besancon: Jacquin, 1910.
- Yvonne Ruyssen. “The library of the Faculty of Pharmacy of Paris through time”, Re-examined history of Pharmacy , XXI, 218, Sept. 1973, p. 529-538.
- Marie-Edmée Michel. “The library of the Faculty of Pharmacy of Paris (1882-1982)”, the Faculty of Pharmacy of Paris , Saint-Cloud: Comarco, 1982.
- Official site
- Site of the pharmaceutical and biological Faculty of Science of Paris
|Random links:||English | Osos de Chicago | Ghosts off Mars | Buffalo (NFL) | Devil in the box | Trillium parviflorum | Classe_de_GWR_2251|