Inheritance of Lille
The various wars but also the indifference of the inhabitants, the priority given to industrial development and the immediate needs for working housing in the past caused extensive damage with the inheritance of the city. A certain awakening of the richness of this inheritance as from the years 1960-70 led to big operations of restoration. Particularly in the Vieux-Lille cheese, district from which the decayed frame practically fell in ruins, and who is an tourist area today.
- the palate of the Art schools
- the Museum of the Old people's home Countess
- the Museum of the gunners
- the museum of natural history
- the Native house of Charles de Gaulle
- the Museum of Modern art Lille Metropolis, with Villeneuve d' Ascq
The Palate of Beautiful arts of Lille is the second museum more visited France, after the Palais of Louvre. It contains many works of major artists, in particular of Rubens or Brueghel. The museum of the Comtesse old people's home is devoted to the life with the Middle Ages in Flandres. It comprises many objects of time and the museum in itself is a building going back to 1237. The museum of the gunners is devoted to the military history of the city and its many seats.
- the cathedral Our-Lady-of-the-Treillised vineyard (Beginning of construction 1854, completed in 1999)
- the current church Saint-Maurice is of style church-market with five naves equal height. (Built between 14th and the 18th century. Classified with the historic buildings in 1840.)
- the church Holy-Catherine of style church-market with three naves equal height.
- the church Holy-Marie-Madeleine
- the church Saint-Andrew
- the church Saint-Etienne
- the church Saint-Michel
- the church Saint-Saver
- the church of the Sacred Heart
Former to the French conquest
- the Old people's home Countess (1237)
- vestiges of the Palate Rihour, built between 1453 and 1473 by Philippe the Good and his son Charles Bold the. In major part destroyed by a fire the April 23rd 1916.
- the Gantese Old people's home (1460)
- the Old Stock Exchange, heritage of the end of the Spanish period (1652)
French conquest with the revolution
Revolution with the First World War
- the Station Lille-Flandres (1869 - 1892)
- Palate Branch
- the Chamber of commerce and of Industry, located place of the theater, whose Beffroi of 70 m rings the air of the P' tit quinquin . (1910 - 1921 by Louis Marie Shoe-maker)
- the opera, theater “with Italian”, located places theater, neo-classic building (1907 - 1923 by Louis Marie Cordonnier)
- the palate of the Art schools, architecture Belle Time (construction of 1885 - 1892, end of the restoration in 1997), second larger museum of France after Louvre.
- the Theater Sébastopol
- Spinning mills, often of neo-gothic brick architecture, rehabilitated.
Posterior with the First World War
- the town hall (construction of 1924 with 1932 by Emile Dubuisson) and its belfry of 106 m height (construction of 1927 with 1932). The belfry belongs to the 23 belfries of the Nord-Pas-de-Calais and the Somme which were classified with the World heritage of UNESCO in July 2005
- the citadel, qualified by Vauban of " queen of Citadelles"
- the carries from Paris built to the glory of Louis XIV (1685 - 1692)
- the Théâtre of North, old garrison built under the reign of Louis XIV
- the Noble Turn (1402-1422), re-elected in 1975 " Departmental memorial of Resistance and Déportation"
- the Door of Dunkirk (1858)
- the Door of Roubaix
- the Door of Ghent
See also: Statues of Lille
The most outstanding statue of Lille perhaps regarded as the Colonne of the Goddess who occupies the center of Large places. Set up in 1845, it commemorates victorious resistance to the Austrian seat of 1792 thanks to which Lille has the legion of honor.
Close to the entry of 43e IH in the park of the citadel of Lille many monuments are of which the monument with the shot inhabitant of Lille of the First World War, set up in 1929 and the monument with the Carrier pigeon. Lille pays homage to its famous: Louis Pasteur on the place Philippe Lebon, Faidherbe on the place of the Republic or Alexandre Desrousseaux and the p' tit quinquin.
Gardens, green areas
- the garden Vauban
- the wood of Boulogne where are the citadel Vauban, and the zoo of Lille
- the park Jean-Baptiste Lebas
- the park Matisse
- the park of Dondaines
- the Community gardens
- the “botanical garden”, located at the south of the city proposes water levels, a rosery and a equatorial greenhouse
- the “Pipe cleaner of North”, larger second Bookstore of the world (after that of Toronto, Canada), installed since 1959 on the Town square.
- the “Houses Madnesses”, resulting from the cultural event “Lille 2004 European Capital of the culture”.
|Random links:||Penal code of 1810 | God died (film) | ASS (editor) | 1906 in right | Hercules against the vampires | Générosité_(entreprise)|