General informationRegarded as the Brazilian capital of the Right whale, it receives each year a growing number of tourist S. Ville with the dispersed habitat, its population gathers in the districts of Mirim, Vila Nova, Itapirubá (at the border with the town of Laguna), and in the districts of Ribanceira, Praia C Rosa and Ibiraquera, in addition to the center town.
Origin of the nameThe name “Imbituba” comes from the Indian name Embetuba or Imbituba which means “area with great quantities of imbé”, species of Climbing plant, very resistant, used in the manufacture of cords. The prefix imbé thus indicates the plant while the suffix tuba means “abundance”.
GeographyImbituba is located at a Latitude of 28º 14 ' 24" south and with a Longitude of 48º 40 ' 13" west, for a Altitude of 30 meters. Its population was of: 36169 inhabitants with the census of 2007. The municipality extends on 185 km ².
SettlementThe area of Imbituba was discovered in 1622 by missionaries pertaining to the college of Rio de Janeiro, the fathers Antônio Araújo and Pedro da Mota. Their mission was of évangéliser the Indians Carijós who occupied the littoral of Santa Catarina. These missionaries were established in the current district of Nova Villa until in 1624, when they moved towards the area of Santo Antônio back Anjos da Laguna, per order of their superiors.
The incursion of the fathers Antonio and Pedro with Vila Nova was not happier, because of resistance opposed by white adventurers who did not see an good eye the evangelization of their slaves. The fathers thus had to give up their mission at the end of with sorrow 2 years. With the departure of the monks, Vila Nova found his virgin land condition.
In 1675, 53 years after the arrival of the missionaries, some colonists, with their families and some slaves, were established in Vila Nova coming from Laguna. They built some houses, deforested a small surface and planted cereals. The small colony did not develop however sufficiently to form a true urban center. Only a half-dozen of family were established there, scattered between Vila Nova, Mirim and Imbituba itself.
The year 1715 marked the beginning of the settlement of Imbituba, with the arrival of the captain Manoel Gonçalves de Aguiar who, missioné by the governor of Rio de Janeiro, carried out a round of inspection of the colonies of the south of Brazil. The colonists who inicièrent the settlement of the colony, came from São Vicente.
Of return to Rio, Manoel Gonçalves de Aguiar, in his report/ratio, evoked the development of the colony of Imbituba and underlined the potential of the area as for the whaling.
From the Azores colonizationOf 1715 with 1720, the colonization of Imbituba developed very little, only reinforced by the few families, made with the forwarding of the captain Manoel Gonçalves de Aguiar.
In 1720, a new forwarding of Portuguese immigrants arrived at Vila Nova, made up of couples coming from the the Azores and of Madeira. Some launched out in the Agriculture while others were devoted to the fishing. They also reflect works of it the Déforestation] of Imbituba, Vila Nova and Mirim. The majority of the natives of the Azores settled in Vila Nova. The majority of the historians thus considers that Vila Nova was founded before Imbituba. At the time, Imbituba and Mirim were called besides Vila Nova.
In 1747, the Natives of the Azores set up a vault with Vila Nova, placing there an image of Sainte Anne which they had carried in their forwarding.
With an increasing population, the governor of the State, Manual Escudeiro Ferreira de Souza, requested the harbor office of São Paulo for the arrival of new from the Azores colonists in this colony under development. This suggestion was transmitted to the king Jean V who ordered immigrant sending new since the the Azores and Madeira.
- Imbituba was founded in 1715 by Natives of the Azores.
- a center of whaling was founded in 1796 and closed in 1829.
- the first pontoon of the port of Imbituba was built in 1870.
- Henrique Lage arrived in the city in 1912.
- the town of Imbituba was high with the row of município to whole share in 1923, with effect at January 1st, 1924. However, in 1930, Imbituba saw its autonomy removed by the provisional governor of the south of the State.
- In 1949, the legislative assembly of the State changed the name of the city into “Henrique Lage”, to return in the name of Imbituba in 1959.
- In 1958, the city becomes again município.
Close citiesImbituba is close to the municipalities ( município following:
- Official site of the municipality
|Random links:||Lake of the Sirens | Saint-Guen | CoaliciÃ³n de querer | Jon Corzine | Route 340 (Quebec) | Department of Islas of Bahía | Les_gens_d'Elizabeth_II|