Idrija is a commune of: 11990 inhabitants in Slovenia Western.
It is known today for its mine S of mercury, inactive, and for the production of Dentelle.
Mercury layers were discovered there in 1497, and the extraction passed to the hands of the government in 1580. According to the local legend, one manufacturing of Seau X found mercury liquid in a source close to the village. It is one of few places of the world where one can find mercury either in his liquid form, or in form of Cinabre (Sulfure of mercury). The shaft for descent of the mine, called Antonijev rov (" Well of Antoine"), is used today for tourist visits on the higher levels of the mine, complete with mannequins representing the minors of all the times. The lower levels, which go up to 400 Mètre S of depth, undergo a rough-casting and are not exploited any more.
From 1783 to 1918 the area of Idrija belonged to the Carniole. After the First World War it was annexed to the Italy and became part of the Province of Gorizia. In 1947 it becomes part of the Yugoslavia.
- History of Idrija
- Official site in Slovenien
|Random links:||National park of Canyonlands | ABC1 | Chartres-of-Brittany | Ray Fuller | Gaston Dupray | Club_impérial_de_bateau_d'université|