The Hopi make parties of the group of the Indians Pueblos of North America, close to the Apaches, the Navajo S, the Papagos, and of the Zuñi S, Hopis live in north is Arizona a very arid area. However their cultures were adapted to this environment desert, for example the Maïs was sown in deep holes so that the roots draw the moisture of the ground.
In February, they celebrated the dance of Bean. During 16 days, the masked dancers requested the spirits Katchinas of the rain to have good harvests. The children learned how to know their religion.
One counted 7.494 Hopis divided into 7 pueblos in 1775.
LanguageThe Hopi language belongs to the Uto-Aztecan Langues. There exists a language dictionary, which is spoken by 80% about the population (1990), that is to say 5.264 people out of 6500. Code language: ISO 639 -2: nai
At Hopis, the mothers of promised washed the hair together in the same container to seal the union.
The girls in age to marry carried a very elaborate hairstyle comprising macaroons.
The future bride hopi spent initially three days to grind grain in her parents-in-law. After the celebration, it awaited its behavior of marriage, woven by her husband-to-be and the men of his in-laws. She returned then to her with her ornament arranged in a case in reed.
The day of his marriage, the boy hopi appears collars of pearls.
At the time of their burials, the women were buried in their wedding gown in order to be suitably vêtues to join the world of the spirits.
For Hopis, there exist 5 worlds :
5 is a negative figure: it is the crossroads between northern south//is/western. It represents the pit, the aspiration and the curse.
- For them, we are currently in the 4th world
- all the former worlds were those of the divinities, the animals and the hybrids of both.
- the former worlds are under ground, ours is air
- the divinity who establishes the link between the worlds is " spider-woman".
- indeed, there are many spiders on the ground hopi. those nest under ground and move on the ground = they live in the two types of worlds
- " spider-woman" as the divinity-mother of the men
- she is regarded belongs to the myths hopi
|Random links:||Bainbridge Colby | United States Gypsum Corporation | Hertzian tower of Stuttgart | Yehoud | Actinia | Vieille_ville,_Maine|