Hong Kong Sevens
Kânauj (Hindi: कन्नौज) is an old city of the State of the Uttar Pradesh, in India (pop 58.932 hab. with the census of 1991). The city is the administrative center of the district of Kânauj. Its name comes from Kânyâkubjâ - of kânyâ , the virgin and kubjâ , uneven - one of the epithets of Durgâ. The city gave its name to the dialect known as kânauji .
HistoryOld Kanyakubja , Mahodaya and Gâdhipura - it is also the Kanogiza of Ptolémée - its prosperity is very old and it was an important urban center at the time of the Gupta. Kânauj culminates at the 7th century under the reign of Harsha of which it is the capital but also the arts center of its empire. The Chinese pilgrim Xuanzang the visit at that time. However, its empire crumbles shortly after its death. End of at the 10th century, Kânauj is the object of a fight of influence between the three dominant dynasties of time, the Pratîhâra, the Râshtrakûta of the Dekkan and the Pâla of the Bengal. The Râja Pâla Dharmapâla demolishes king Indrayudha of it and installs one as of its vassal ones there, Chakrayudha. At the 9th century, the râja Pratîhâra Nâgabhata II seizes Kânauj and makes of it the capital of its dynasty for almost two centuries, period during which the city becomes a famous center of poetry. The weakening of Pratîhâra makes it possible the râja Râshtrakûta Indra III Jagattunga to briefly control the city in 916, but it is driven out by it by one, alliance of Pratîhâra Mahîpâla and the Chandelâ. However, at the end of the century, the territory of Pratîhâra is reduced to a small kingdom around the city.
In 1019, Kânauj is put at bag by Mahmûd de Ghaznî what starts one period of chaos for the city which is completed by the establishment of the local dynasty of the Gâhadvâla at the end of the 10th century. Kânauj then joins again with a certain prosperity until in 1193, year when it again put at bag by Muhammad Ghûrî at the time which it knows its last Hindu king Jayachandra, the rival of Prithivîrâja Châhumâna III. It is again destroyed by Sher Shâh Sûrî in 1540 after its victory over Humâyûn.
The ruins of the old city are distributed on the territory of five villages in the east of the new city, occupying a half-circle some six kilometers in diameter. No Hindu building of the period survived, but the large mosque, built by Ibrâhîm Shâh Sharqî of Jaunpur in 1406 on the Hindu temples and by using their materials is always called locally by the Hindus the kitchen of Sîtâ .
- Moslem Invasions of India
|Random links:||Naphtha | Guillermo George Cusins | Schultzkommandos | Lougratte | Simard (Saône-et-Loire) | Wilhelm von Bode | Hong_Kong_Sevens|