See also: French Prime Minister, List of French the Prime Ministers
All the members of the government are named by the President of the Republic on proposal of the Prime Minister. The members of the Government are placed in a precise protocolar order, which is given by the relative order to the composition of the government:
- the Prime Minister: he is chief of the Government;
- the Ministers of state: placed just after the Prime Minister, their title is mainly protocolar today and is used to show the importance of the Minister or the wallet which it manages, even both. They can organize Interministerial meetings, normally prerogative of the only Prime Minister; by tradition, it is also allowed to them to take to the word at the time it the Council of Ministers to deliver their opinion on a field not attached to their ministry
- the Ministre S: they direct the government departments;
- the Deputy secretaries: placed under the authority of the Ministers and, more rarely, the Prime Minister, they receive delegation of certain competences;
- the Secretaries of State: at the last level of the ministerial hierarchy, they are placed under the aegis of a minister or sometimes of the only Prime Minister.
The deputy secretaries always take part in the the Council of Ministers, whatever is the day order. On the contrary, the Secretaries of State take part in it only when the day order relates to them.
Incompatibility with other functionsThe functions of minister are incompatible with a series of other community activities. The prohibition of Office plurality striking the whole of the private activities, majority of the public office as well as the parliamentary mandates. There it is a question at the same time of avoiding the weight of certain pressures or external influences on the ministers and of enabling them to devote itself fully to governmental work. They can change the laws and decide the controls of national expenditure.
They can on the other hand preserve their local mandates (mayors, regional advisers or generals, etc) Lionel Jospin when he was Prime Minister had imposed a strict not-office plurality of a governmental function with that of town councilor. This decision had made Jurisprudence for the following governments before being gradually abandoned, mainly under the pressure of the interested ones which wished to preserve their local mandates, guaranteeing of the “perenniality” of their local establishment.
It returns to the government “to determine and lead the Politique Nation”, according to the terms of article 20 of the Constitution of 1958. The definition of the policies and the governmental objectives results in practice in the drafting of Bills and of Décret S. Each policy will have indeed to fit early or late in a legal text. All the bills as certain types of decrees must be adopted in the Council of Ministers. It is indeed at the time of the the Council of Ministers that the government lays down in a collective way the orientation of its Politique and takes the essential measures intended to implement it. The government action appears here in one of its essential dimensions: collegial structure. The action of the government is also based on two forces of execution, the Armée and the administration, of which it directs the action in the direction of its Politique.
The regular behavior of the Councils of the ministers, each Wednesday morning under the presidency of the President of the Republic, incarnates well the solidarity and the collegial structure of governmental work. But the essence of governmental work is done elsewhere, i.e., on the one hand, in each ministry and, on the other hand, within work groups joining together of the representatives of several ministries: meetings, committees or Interdepartmental councils. In addition, the intervention of the Prime Minister or his collaborators at these various work meetings guarantees the effectiveness and the coherence of measurements and decisions which are made there.
Source: Prime Minister
See also: French Ministries
The current government is the government Francois Fillon set up by the decree of June 19th, 2007 and of July 7th, 2007.
- Directory of the government and the administration
|Random links:||The Community of communes of the plate of the small rocks | Amy Reid | Meteorite of Diablo Canyon | Atabeg | Victor Van Michel|