The village was entirely troglodytic until the 19th century and has the only church of Ile-de-France (and one of rare of France) to be entirely dug in a cliff.
GeographyThe village is located at 70 km in the west of Paris, between the valley of the the Seine and the plate of the Vexin, with the foot of escarpées cliffs Calcaire S. The situation of the village wedged between the river and a cliff returns its territory at the risk of Inondation S and landslides.
HistoryPerhaps in the past Autile , the name comes from the Gallic attegia , cants, or of high island.
High-Isle whole is a rare village troglodytic, whose first dwellings go back to the prehistoric period . The village is attached to the parish of Chérence until in 1670, date on which its lord, Nicolas Dongois, clerk as a chief of the Parlement of Paris and nephew of Boileau by his mother, ask for his erection in parish. The church is then dug in the rock. The field is repurchased in 1749 by the duke Alexandre of Rochefoucauld, which makes destroy the castle.
The village saw Viticulture until the beginning of the 20th century.
Monuments and places of visitThe territory High-Isle constitutes a classified site (part of the valleys of the the Seine and Epte), except the built-up area of the village, registered site. The church is registered with the additional inventory of the historic buildings.
the troglodytic church of the Annonciation was dug in the cliff of Craie in 1670 at the expenses of Nicolas Dongois. Only small the square Clocher emerges from the enherbé ground which recovers cliff. Single example of a religious building troglodytic in Ile-de-France since the destruction in 1749 of the church of Mousseaux, it is registered with the additional inventory of the historic buildings since 1926. Inside, a single Nef is arched of a cradle in semicircular arch. It is lit by four windows cut in the rock. The chorus, dug, in the prolongation of the nave, is closed of a fence out of wooden, coming from the Ste Chapelle of Rouen. The retable out of wooden carved date of 1670, it is classified historic building. The building is closed with the public in 1999 because of threats of crumbling. A project of restoration and confortation of the frontage is being studied and causes the controversy.
Along cliff, the boves are excavations dug in cliff. Constituting the initial village, they are used today like garages or workshops.
There remains in the enclosure of a farm two buildings of the castle , destroyed in the middle of the 18th century.
Personalities related to the communeThe English painter Charles Conder (1868 - 1909) settles a few years at the village, the hamlet of Chantemesle, and painted there part of his work.
Doctor Gaudichard (1879 - 1955) discovers the village in the Années 1930 of which he becomes mayor. He repurchases several boves there often abandoned since the 19th century and into a troglodytic house of architectural inspiration mérovingienne transforms them. He is buried with the cemetery of the village.
- Common of the Val-d'Oise
- French Vexin
Notes, sources and references
|Random links:||Store with the vivres | The white cannot jump | Urga (film, 1991) | Sexte (canonical right) | Doronicum | Terre_de_Nordre|