This page relates to the year 1018 Calendrier Julien.
- Mahmud de Ghazni overcomes the king Pratihara Trilochanapala, puts Kanauj at bag and occupies the Eastern basin of the Gange. The empire Rajput of Pratihara is not any more.
February 15th: At the request of its familiar, Rodolphe III, king de Bourgogne gives or rather returns to the Abbaye of Saint-Maurice d' Agaune a certain number of grounds among which the Fisc S of Lully, of Commugny, half of Pully, pauté of Vuadens, the plaid of Vevey, Lutry, some rights to Saint-Maurice and the whole of the mountain pastures of the Chablais.
- Rodolphe III of Burgundy confirms engagements of Strasbourg (1016) and gives to the emperor Henri II his crown and its sceptre: the Burgundian royalty from now on is subjected to the imperial capacity;
- the old habit to strike a Juif in the church during the Holy Week finishes tragically with Toulouse. The Jew has the broken cranium, which lets escape its brain (according to Adhémar de Chabanais);
- In Provence, a revolt bursts, carried out by the lords of the manor of Fos against the count de Provence Guillaume II which perishes at the time of the seat of this castle. The capacity comtal crumbles and the various factions of the nobility try to impose their law;
- the Byzantine general Bojannès reduces the Révolte of Mello in Italy of the South. It subjects the principalities lombardes Apulie and built a line of fortresses ( will kastra ) against which comes to fail the Germanic emperor Henri II;
- the boroughs strengthened on the initiative of the governor of Bari maintain the rather strong bonds with the Byzantine civils servant. The difficulties of Byzance in the Balkans and in Asia will reinforce their autonomy;
- With died of his/her brother Harald, Knut II embarks with its fleet towards the Denmark to ensure its succession;
- Battle of Carham between the Kingdom of Scotland and the Kingdom of Northumbrie.
- January 30th: Peace of Budziszyn (Treated of Bautzen) between the Holy Empire and the Poland. The duke of Poland keeps the Milzenland, the Lusace and the Moravie;
- Agreement between Etienne Ier of Hungary and Boleslas Ier Valiant the of Poland on the border separating the two countries on the peak from the Carpates;
- Boleslas the Valiant one, which married his/her daughter with Sviatopolk Ier of Kiev, carries out a forwarding towards Kiev to support Sviatopolk against Iaroslav. It invades the top Bug until Brest and the top San around Przemysl (fine in 1031).
- Basile II respects the uses of the old annexed Bulgarian empire: the payment of the tax in kind is maintained, the patriarchate of Ochrida transformed into archbishop's palace autocéphale. Basile tries to assimilate the Bulgarian ones by creating two topics, by allotting to the aristocracy many aulic dignities and in the incentive to be combined by marriage with the Byzantine aristocracy. The assimilation is however never perfect.
Arts & culture
- After the conquest of the Bulgaria by Byzance, of many Bulgarian well-read men takes refuge with Kiev. They there bring their liturgical books and play a crucial role in the diffusion of the writing Cyrillique.
Births in 1018
Death in 1018
|Random links:||New transport of the Parisian press | Villeréal | Aphrodite operation | Richer of Rheims | County of Yangxin (Shandong) | Helsinki|