Harry Potter is the name of a literary series written by Joanne Kathleen Rowling. She tells through seven volumes, corresponding each one to one school year (except for the ultimate volume, Harry Potter and the Relics of Dead the), the history of a sorcerer's apprentice called Harry James Potter.
The series of books Harry Potter , written at the origin in English language, is translated into French by Jean-François Ménard. In fact the names resulting from this translation are used in this article, and the related articles. The illustrations of the French-speaking covers are of Jean-Claude Götting.
- Harry Potter at the school of the wizards (1997)
- * original Title: Harry Potter and the Philosopher' S Stone
- Harry Potter and the room of the secrecies (1998)
- * original Title: Harry Potter and the Chamber off Secret
- Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban (1999)
- * original Title: Harry Potter and the Prisoner off Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the goblet of fire (2000)
- * original Title: Harry Potter and the Goblet off Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the phoenix (2003)
- * original Title: Harry Potter and the Order off the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the prince of half-caste (2005)
- * original Title: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and Relics of Dead the (2007)
- * original Title: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Universe of Harry Potter
- Attention! This text can contain, unintentionally, of the revelations on the seventh and last volume.
The beginningHarry Potter is sorcerer's apprentice with the Collège Poudlard. It was born on July 31st, 1980. His/her parents, Lily Evans and James Potter, were killed by Lord Voldemort, a powerful black magus who will be caught some then in Harry, then one year old. But the fate which it launches in Harry turns over against him and destroys it. It is tiny room to a form even more fragile than that of a phantom but it is always alive. Harry keeps this event a Cicatrice in the shape of flash on the face.
After its accident, and in spite of its mysterious disappearance, Voldemort remains the most dreaded wizard, so much so that it is never named by the magic community. The wizards call it “You-Know-Who”, “You-Know-Which”, “That-Of which-One--Must-Not-Pronounce-The-Name”, or “the Lord of Darkness”. The pronoun “It” or “Him” is automatically dedicated to him if it is not attached to a person mentioned in a conversation, for example: “You want to say… He? ”
WaitingOrphan, Harry is placed in his uncle and his aunt, Vernon and Pétunia Dursley - “Moldu S”, i.e. of the not-wizards -, who carry out the hard life to him, hides its origins and its talents of wizard to him. He is persecuted by his cousin, Dudley, to which his/her parents yield absolutely to all the whims. Especially for its birthday where it is not deprived to still ask gifts his parents, just because it had of it a little more last year.
At the time of its eleventh birthday, Harry receives a letter inviting it to present to the re-entry classes at the school of Poudlard the school of wizard and sorcery to which the majority of the children wizard of Great Britain is automatically registered as of the birth. Its uncle and his aunt, which does not want that Harry discovers its origins, try by all the means of preventing it from going there. However, with the assistance of Rubeus Hagrid (Rubéus delivery), sent by Albus Dumbledore, director of Poudlard, Harry finally manages to go up on board the Poudlard Express on the famous way “9 3/4 ” of the Station of King' S Cross-country race in London which will enable him to reach the school of Poudlard sorcery.
At the school of Poudlard, Harry is made two inseparable friends: Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, which accompanies it in its adventures. Together, they fight That-Of which-One--Must-Not-Pronounce-The-Name, that is to say Tom Elvis Jedusor, known as Lord Voldemort.
PublicationThe account continues on seven volumes, in the form of an initiatory search, each volume (one per last year at the school) bringing its batch of revelations on the past of Harry. The reader thus discovers a whole gallery of characters of childhood at the adulthood.
See also: Poudlard
Poudlard is a college of sorcery of great fame created there is more: 1000 years (one does not know the exact date). It is directed by Albus Dumbledore. With his death, the professor Minerva McGonagall, assistant editor, becomes about it, at the end of Harry Potter and the prince of half-caste , the director; Severus Rogue will take of them then the direction in the last volume, Harry Potter and the relics of dead the . The school is divided into four “houses”, carrying the names of the four founders of the school, Godric Gryffondor, Rowena Serdaigle, Helga Poufsouffle and Salazar Serpentard, each one having a specific history and qualities. This institution was the subject of the book “ the History of Poudlard ” to which Hermione Granger often refers. This book, intra-arts person, are a dense source of information on Poudlard for the characters. Poudlard was created by four wise and respected magicians, Godric Gryffondor ( Godric Gryffindor ), Rowena Serdaigle, Helga Poufsouffle, and Salazar Serpentard; they worked in total harmony until the day when Serpentard proposed to prohibit the access to the teaching of the magic to a category of wizards familiarly called “Sang of bourbe” (whose parents are moldus, contrary to “pure bloods”). The opinion of the other founders diverged on this point and Serpentard decided to leave the college after having created the Chambre of the secrecies and by locking up there a basil in the middle same of Poudlard. The directors followed one another dead of the last founders. The most recent directors were Phineas Nigellus Black - the back postpones grandfather of Sirius Black -, Armando Dippet and Albus Dumbledore.
The school is protected by magic spells Complexe S and old; it cannot be seen by moldus, is incartable (it cannot appear on a chart) and it is not possible of transplaner (what means télétransporter) in the enclosure of Poudlard. The only means of going to Poudlard are by the village close to Pre-with-Bacon, by the Poudre of cheminette, by Sombral S, balas, flying Voiture, with foot, by Phoenix, Portoloin and finally. Its protections are still improved when the return of Lord Voldemort becomes public, Dumbledore taking care some itself.
See also: Gryffondor
(original version: Gryffindor ) It is the house of Harry and its friends.
- House created by Godric Gryffondor .
- Blazon: Lion on field of mouth (Lion on red bottom).
- Phantom: Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington (Nick Quasi-Without-Head).
- principal Quality: courage, boldest, and strongest .
- Dirigée by the professor McGonagall, it is in this house that are not only Harry Potter, but also Hermione Granger, Lavande Brown, Parvati Patil, Neville Londubat, Dean Thomas, Seamus Finnigan, the Weasley, Lee Jordan, Angelina Johnson, Katie Bell, Alicia Spinnet, Olivier Dubois, Romilda Vane, Jack Sloper, Colin and Denis Crivey like Demelza Robins and was also in this house the 4 Maraudeurs : James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin and the traitor Peter Pettigrow.
- common Room: in a tower of the castle, on the seventh floor behind the portrait of the large lady pink.
- Object having belonged to Godric Gryffondor: the sword encrusted with ruby, on the blade of which the name “Godric Gryffondor” is engraved. The magic Choixpeau, which divides the pupils of first year in the four Houses, also belonged to Godric Gryffondor.
- associated Element: fire
See also: Serdaigle
(original version: Ravenclaw )
- House created by Rowena Serdaigle .
- Blazon: Orange eagle on field of azure (bronze eagle on bottom royal blue).
- Phantom: Helena Serdaigle girl of Rowena Serdaigle (known as the Gray Lady).
- principal Quality: intelligence, wisdom .
- Directed by the Professor Flitwick, it is in this house that are Luna Lovegood, a a little eccentric young girl who will become friendly with Harry and which appears in the 5th volume (but its family name is announced incidentally to the beginning of volume 4). Are there also Cho Chang, which leaves with Harry in the 5th volume. Other pupils of Serdaigle: Padma Patil, Michael Corner, Anthony Goldstein, Terry Boot, Roger Davis…
- common Room: in a tower of the western wing of the castle.
- Object having belonged to Rowena Serdaigle: The lost Diadem stolen by his/her own daughter, Voldemort will find it hidden in Albania and one of the seven of them horcruxes will do.
- associated Element: the air
See also: Poufsouffle
(original version: Hufflepuff )
- House created by Helga Poufsouffle .
- Blazon: Sand badger on gold field (black badger on yellow bottom).
- Phantom: the fatty Monk.
- principal Quality: likes to work, patience proverbial, honesty and the justice
- Dirigée by the Professor Chourave, it is in this house that Cedric Diggory is ( attrapor of the team of Quidditch) which is indicated to represent the Poudlard college with the tournament of the Three Wizards (in volume 4). Other pupils of Poufsouffle: Ernie MacMillan, Hannah Abbot, Susan Bones, Justin Finch-Fletchley, Zacharias Smith…
- common Room: the ground floor, one reaches it by the corridor which leads to the kitchens, the entry is behind a still life, one reaches the dormitories by doors in the shape of barrels.
- Object having belonged to Helga Poufsouffle: An old invaluable cut which would be in possession of Lord Voldemort, the object is in the trunk of the Lestrange family, in Gringotts, it is one of the seven Horcruxes.
- associated Element: ground.
See also: Serpentard
(original version: Slytherin )
- House created by Salazar Serpentard .
(Salazar Serpentard was the only one not to wish that the wizards of origin moldu enter the school of magic, it called them: Blood-of-Bourbe ( mudblood ), the worst insult which is)
- Blason: Money snake on sinople field (Snake color silver plated on green bottom).
- Phantom: the bloody Baron.
- principal Qualities: ambition and taste of the success but also the mischievousness and the trick .
- Main teacher: at the beginnings of Harry Potter with Poudlard, the professor Rogue; at the end of the sixth year (Rogue being in escape) and lasting the year of wandering of Harry (during which Rogue is director of Poudlard), the professor Slughorn which becomes again the chief of the House of Serpentard (it was before his first retirement).
- common Room: In the basements, access by the dungeons, under the lake. This house represents with the eyes of all, the Black Magic, and it is also Salazar Serpentard which created the school of magic Durmstrang, school specialized in the black magic as well as the Room of the Secrecies where it locked up a Basil, mortal snake.
- Object having belonged to Salazar Serpentard: a heavy gold medallion engraved of the armorial bearings of Serpentard which seems to be at Black.
- associated Element: water.
- famous Pupils: this house accommodated formerly Voldemort, its faithful Bellatrix Lestrange, Lucius Malefoy and the majority of the mangemorts (only the mangemort of another house known is Peter Pettigrow); one knows two Serpentards engaged like mangemorts and having finally betrayed Voldemort: Rogue and Regulus Black, little brother of Sirius Black. At the time where Harry is in Poudlard, Serpentard most influential on their house are Drago Malefoy, Pansy Parkinson, Vincent Crabbe, Gregory Goyle, Milicent Bullstrode… All of the declared enemies of Harry, and post their admiration for Voldemort openly.
Cross from the four HousesIt is about a kind of competition between the houses, founded on a system of points. Each good deed of a pupil brings back points to his house and each infringement with the payment makes some to him lose. These points are entered by sand glasses in which or rubies go up run (for Gryffondor), of emeralds (for Serpentard), etc the house having the most points at the end of the year gains this cut. During the first 4 years of schooling of Harry, it is Gryffondor which gains the cut (the 4th year is sullied by death with Cédric Diggory killed by Lord Voldemort). Also, when a match of Quidditch is gained by a team, that brings back points to its house.
Prefects“Prefects” are named in each house. There is a prefect and a préfète like one and a prefect-in-chief by house (prefect chosen in fifth year and prefect-in-chief chosen in seventh year) each year, a prefect and a préfète are named. They take care of the respect of the payment and accompany the pupils by first year in their common rooms. Among the prefects of seventh year a prefect-in-chief and a préfète-en-chef. are also named In the 5th volume, Ron and Hermione become prefects for Gryffondor while Drago Malefoy and Pansy Parkinson become the prefects for Serpentard. Ernie Macmillan and Hannah Abbot are the prefects of Poufsouffle, and Anthony Goldstein and Padma Patil become the new prefects of Serdaigle. Percy and Bill Weasley, Pénélope Deauclaire and Cédric Diggory occupied them also the place of prefects.
The prefects divide a bathroom who is reserved to them with the captain of each team of Quidditch of each house. Harry thus reaches it officially in sixth year, although it already used it two years earlier to discover an index at the time of the Tournament of the Three Wizards. The password to reach this bathroom is “freshness of the pines”.
See also: Professors de Poudlard
Students of Poudlard
See also: Student of Poudlard
See also: Animal magic in Harry Potter
See also: magic Plants (Harry Potter)
Means of transport
- magic Brush
- Magicobus (original version: Knight Drunk)
- Phoenix de Dumbledore (Fumseck)
- Portoloin (original version: Portkey)
- Powder of cheminette
- Poudlard Express train
- Sombral S (original version: Thestral)
- flying Car
- flying Motor bike of Hagrid
- flying Car (a Ford Anglia modified by Arthur Weasley)
Means of communication
- Chimney: via embers, to see Harry Potter and the goblet of fire : communication with Sirius Black and via the flames in Harry Potter and the Order of the phoenix
- Owls: transport of the mail (letters, parcel, lowing …)
- Mirror with double direction: magic mirror. Sirius has of them two and it gives some to Harry in order to be able to communicate with him. Harry will try to make use of it after death of Sirius, without success.
- Memorandums: notes which travel of service in service, in the form of paper planes, in the ministry for the magic.
- Plumes of gold of the Phoenix of Dumbledore
- Patronus (it is not their principal use, but the Ordre of the Phoenix makes use of it as means of communication)
- gold Galleons that Hermione bewitches in volume 5 so that the members of the AD (Armed with Dumbledore) can know the place, the date and the hour of their meetings.
- tattooing that the Mangemort S carry has two capacities for communication: to inform of the power of Voldemort (volumes 4,5 and 6) and to call the faithful ones (Mangemorts) of Voldemort, by a simple pressure of its finger on one of these tattooings. The gold Galleons of the AD were imagined besides by Hermione which took as a starting point the tattooing of Mangemorts. (volume 5)
- One can also use the tables: a character of a table can " passer" in another table where it was painted. Thus, a famous magus having portrait a little everywhere can be average a rapid and simple to transmit a message.
The more Harry Potter grows, the more he learns some on itself and realizes that the magic is not the marvellous world which he believed in his beginnings but a threatened world where “the evil” (Voldemort) can at every moment override “the good”.
The recurring screenWith the wire of the volumes appear invariable elements who accentuate the character familiar of the universe of Harry Potter:
- the beginning of the volumes at the only family of Harry, the " Dursley" , at the end of the holidays;
- the tour to the school of magic, " Poudlard" ;
- the use of the cape of invisibility and the chart of the petty thief (starting from the 3rd volume only);
- confrontations with the enemy of Harry Ron and Hermione, Drago Malefoy;
- the replacement of the professor of defense against the forces of the evil (a station which is cursed since the directeut school; Albus Dumbledore refused it in Tom Jedusor (or Voldemort).
- the parts of Quidditch, the sport wizard, and the batch of tensions which they generate (except in volume 4 and it volume 7). And even in the absence of match of Quidditch there is inevitably an important passage where Harry is on a brush.
- Volume 4: At the time of the First Task vis-a-vis the Magyar with Points.
- Volume 7: In Chapter 3, the Seven Potter, the scene is held in the airs and it is held many adventures there. In the final chapters, the Sharp one of Gold has an important place there.
The symbol of figure 7
In Harry Potter the figure more scour is figure 7:
the common room of Gryffondor is with the 7ère stage of Poudlard.
- the Weasley children are 7: Charlie, Bill, Percy, Fred, George, Ginny and Ron.
- Voldemort wanted to create 7 Horcruxes (but 7th was created has its knowledge).
- In the seventh volume, 7 Potter fly away to mislead Voldemort on the identity of truth.
- the wizards must remain 7 years with Poudlard to study the magic.
- There are 7 players in a team of Quidditch: 3 poursuiveurs, 2 beaters, 1 guard and 1 attrapor.
- There exist 7 secrete ways with Poudlard
- There are 7 volumes Harry Potter.
- volume 7 left in July 2007 is in the seventh month of the year 2007.
Harry Potter and history of the Nazi Germany.
In Harry Potter, Voldemort can evoke Adolf Hitler while its mangemorts can evoke the Nazis which followed Fürher.
Indeed, will of Voldemort to exterminate the " Blood of Bourbe" (wizards born parents moldus, i.e. not-wizard) can evoke the persecution and the massacre of various groups under the Nazi Germany, mainly, the people of Jewish origin.
Among the most disconcerting resemblances, the fact that Voldemort seeks to rejoin with him all the " Pur" blood; who is not without pointing out the obsession of Hitler to purify Germany of the races known as lower and to promote the superiority of the race Aryen which appear early in its heinous propaganda, in particular, in his work of sad memory, Mein Kampf. Once with the capacity, Voldemort persecutes all those which cannot prove that they are of pure blood. It systematizes and organizes persecution with national scales (conquered Germany and countries versus the world of the Wizards), also enacts that any sympathy on behalf of pure Sang towards " Blood of Bourbe" will be regarded as a treason with their blood, principle very similar to that of the Nazi Germany which, for example, severely punished any help brought to the persecuted Jews.
Lastly, the obsession of purity of Voldemort and Hitler finds their source in a ashamed secrecy (ashamed, from the point of view of these two protagonists): Voldemort is a half-caste and not blood-pure, which it évertue with hiding with its mangemorts while Hitler was all its life haunted by the possibility of having a Jewish ascent by one of his/her grandmothers. Of aucuns also saw in the initial ones of the grandfather of Voldemort (Salazard Serpentard) a reference to the S.S., crack corps of Hitler.
Film adaptationsThe first two episodes were adapted to the cinema by the realizer Chris Columbus. It is the young actor Daniel Radcliffe who plays Harry Potter, accompanied by Rupert Grint in the role of Ron Weasley and Emma Watson in the role of Hermione Granger. The film adaptation of the third volume was entrusted this time to Alfonso Cuarón, which somewhat deviated from the choices of its predecessor. Mike Newell is the realizer of the fourth opus which interferes the styles its two predecessors on bottom of blockbuster. David Yates, as for him, was responsible for the realization of fifth film and currently directs the sixth. One is unaware of for the moment which will carry out the seventh and last shutter.
- Harry Potter and the Room of the Secrecies of Chris Columbus (December 4th 2002)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban of Alfonso Cuarón (June 2nd 2004)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire of Mike Newell (November 30th 2005)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix of David Yates (July 11th 2007)
- Harry Potter and the Prince of Sang-Mêlé of David Yates (November 28th 2008)
- Harry Potter and Relics of Dead the (be or November 2010)
See the page Harry Potter (films) entirely devoted to the film adaptations.
See also: Potterfiction
Differences between filmsThe realizer of last film did not take into account the various disguises of old films, as the détraqueurs who change appearance of a film with another, or the masks of the mangemorts which do not resemble those of the goblet of fire any more. Moreover, one witnesses an abrupt change of time in the world of the moldus. Indeed, whereas in preceding films (as well as the books), one is at the end of the XX° century (one sees it with the costumes, in particular), one is, in the Order of the Phoenix, at our time. One sees a screen plasma in the house of Dursley and Dudley has a jacket Nike.
Charges of paganismCertain monks do not like the work either: thus according to Gabriele Kuby, enthusiastic Catholic German and author of a critical work on the saga Harry Potter, the cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (today pope Benoit XVI) would have affirmed to him that the novels for children of the series Harry Potter, by “a subtle seduction which acts without one not taking guard there”, could “deform the Christian character deeply of the heart, before it can open out correctly. ” J.K Rowling answered in the Times newspaper of October 23rd, 2006: " That is not astonishing with reactions of this kind which religious fanaticism is at the origin of all the wars of humanity. The history that I created is purely imaginary and does not ask in any moment to reproduce what occurs there. Benoit XVI realizes simply that Catholicism loses speed while the culture and science take to them envol."
LockoutMore recently, a controversy was spread in connection with the lockout surrounding volume 7 of Harry Potter and prohibiting to the booksellers the premature sale of works before the world coming out date. Indeed, a Canadian bookstore by error would have sold about fifteen specimens to fans, who saw themselves prohibiting the reading of a book however legally bought. The royalty indeed makes it possible to consider that the author has any power on a support, even bought. A campaign being opposed to this vision extremist royalty was initiated, in particular by Richard Stallman, the founder of the Free Software Foundation and the father of the free software.
The Phenomenon Harry Potter
A revolution?Success without precedent of the saga showed that children and teenagers were not refractory with the reading. Some do not regard that as literature in its direction first, but of the paved several hundreds of pages are devoured, generally in a few hours, sometimes even in original version!
Thus in France, the phenomenon gives an account of another, still unknown in the Hexagon a few years ago: the publication and reading of works in original version. Indeed, some were astonished to see in July 2007, more precisely the 21 (standard month of the exit of the volumes in English language) stalls of the booksellers to abound in the last volume of Harry Potter in English! And that is sold very well. Thus the Parisian Fnac of the Halles (one of largest Fnac de France) proposes the English volumes with the impatient readers and not wishing to wait until the months of October-November, in special vats laid out in the central alley: like a true blow of marketing, and the sales are exceptional for a book in original language. This phenomenon gives well an account of the notorious evolution as regards reading of works in original version in France: it is increasingly current of reading bilingual works or in completely original version, which was still exceptional some ten years ago. For the first time with the Order of the Phoenix, an English book appeared among the best sales of books.
The cinematographic versions are disputed. As often, the fans of the literary versions do not appreciate the choices scenaristic, necessary to the adaptation to the big screen. Criticisms most regular are that the film return the universe of Harry Potter plus simpleton and less mature than in the books. However, these adaptations were an important success in the rooms.
DocumentaryIn discovered true world of Harry Potter is documentary 1:30 appeared in DVD zone 2 on February 1st 2004. It is about documentary describing the sources of inspiration of the author in order to create the universe of Harry Potter; it pays its attention on the passion surrounding the series, as well as sorcery, the versions cinematographic, etc Of the interviews with J.K. Rowling and Mr. Colbert (author of “ The Magical World off Harry Potter ”) appear in it.
The documentary one contains additional sequences:
- phantoms of the castle of Chiligam explained by the conservative of the museum.
- Grass and Alchimie: the Sorcery, capacity of the stones, the rod, the brush… explained by Nadine Herceberg, the owner of the Flamel inn, Christopher Herbel, the herbalist and alchemist, Jean Dubuis.
- the route of Harry Potter of cities downtown.
- Harry Potter and the Graal Saint.
|Random links:||Transcortine | 1954 in music | Hlohovec | National foundation for the teaching of management | Arctica islandica | Jørn_Utzon|