Melun is a common French, located in the department of Seine-et-Marne and the area Île-de-France. It is the seat of the Préfecture. Its inhabitants is called Melunais (more rarely Melunois or Melodunois).
GeographyMelun is located at forty kilometers in the south-east of Paris, in a meander of the the Seine, between Brie and Gâtinais. The city consists of three parts:
- the Saint-Etienne island, on the Seine;
- the bank southern, convex, made up of the plain of the Game preserve, which goes up gently towards the forest of Fontainebleau;
- the bank northern, concave, which sees joining the Seine a small affluent, the Almont, and which, on each side of the valley of Almont, goes up to the attack of the plate of the Brie: in the west they are the districts Saint-Aspais and St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre, in the east it is the Saint-Liesne district.
HistoryIt is a city whose traces go back to 52 before J. - C. ( Melodunum ). Its modern name dates from the 6th century (Latin Metlosedum ). Savinien and Saint Aspais preaches the Gospel in Melun as of the 3rd century.
Clovis raises Melun with the row of Duché. It makes strengthen the city which knows a revival. Its richness generates some misfortunes the such raids Viking S which touch the city also cruelly. Let us quote here the raids of 852 and 886 for the example.
In 991, with the complicity of the Viscount of Melun, Eudes Ier of Blois seizes the city which belonged to Bouchard Worthy the, count de Vendôme and Melun since its marriage with Elisabeth of Melun. Being faithful of Hugues Capet, an alliance was assembled with Foulque Nerra, son-in-law of Bouchard and Richard Ier of Normandy which allowed the resumption of the city.
The first Capétiens resident often in Melun while Montereau obtains a strong Château in 1026. When Abélard is driven out of Paris in 1138, it is in Melun that it comes to continue its teaching. Constancy of Arles, widow of the king Robert II, dies there in 1032.
In 1420, Melun supports a memorable seat in front of the English and the Bourguignons. The famine causes the fall of the city. The currency of the east city: (Fides matured usque AD wall) “Faithful to the walls until eating rats”. This currency comes owing to the fact that the inhabitants of Melun resisted at the time of the English seat by eating the rats.
See also: List of the counts de Melun
Blasonnement* Of sown azure of flowers of gold lily, with the donjonné castle of three built sand money turns, stitching on the whole.
- Fida matured usque AD wall : Faithful to the walls to the rats (i.e. until eating rats).
AdministrationSee: List of the mayors of Melun.
EconomyThe city produces the Brie of Melun, a cheese close to the Brie of Meaux but smaller and more vigorous.
The École of the officers of the national police is established in Melun since 1945.
The University Paris II - the Pantheon-Assas has an antenna to with it preparing with the first cycles of right, economic scenes and AES (Saint-Etienne island). This university center in particular was characterized by first world: the creation of 3 diplomas for the private detectives and investigators (see specialized site)
The economic main activities of the city are the drug company, aviation (factory Snecma of Villaroche).
Melun shelters a prison for longsufferings (the “power station” on the Saint-Etienne island).
Tourist monuments and places
Collegial Notre-Dame of Melun: street of Courtille. Founded in XIe century.
Priory Saint-Saver: street Saint-Etienne. Founded in XIe century.
Gallo-Roman Furnace: Notre-Dame public garden. Out of refractory ground. Date: Ier or IIeme century. An excavation operated after the destruction of the horse-gear of cavalry in 1974 put at the day of the traces of habitat of Gallo-Roman time like this furnace, installed then close to collegial Notre-Dame.
Botanical garden: located on the Western point of the Saint-Etienne island. Gift of the pharmacist and Doctor Alexandre-Victor Roussel, born in 1795, the garden underwent the bombardments of 1944 and the Tempête of 1999.
Old post office: place Praslin. Out of brick (façace classified Built in 1929, the building becomes an appendix of the University the Pantheon Assas Paris 2, inaugurated on September 29th, 2007 (Site Emmanuel Fréteau de Saint-Just).
the Municipal museum.
Postern saint Saver: street saint-Saver. Until the medium of the XIX eme century, it was possible to travel by the river. The travellers unloaded with this postern then went to the vault stage coaches, in the priory Saint-Saver, to thank God for having made good voyage.
- Church Saint-Aspais: out of stone. Built in XVIe century in the Gothic style blazing.
Porch: street of the Presbytery. Out of stone. This street comprises old houses.
House dating from the Middle Ages: street of the Presbytery and with the Flax. Out of stone. Located in what was the poorest district of the commune.
Door of the Saint-Jacob Hospital: street Carnot and street Saint-Jacob. Out of stone. One of the rare vestiges of an old people's home whose existence is attested in 999. In XIVeme sècle, it accommodates only four patients. False patients try to be made there admit, creating a certain disorder. The women present in the building are, starting from 1508, allowed with the Saint Nicolas's Day hospital. During the Revolution the patients are transferred to the convent from Recollets transformed into communal hospital, as well as the sick women of Saint Nicolas's Day.
Musard Corner: street Saint-Aspais and street Paul Doumer. Out of concrete.
Vestiges of the Midsummer's Day door: place Midsummer's Day. Out of stone. They are two sandstone pilasters dating from the end from XVIe century, embedded in a more recent wall.
- Midsummer's Day Fountain: place Midsummer's Day. Out of cast iron. Gone back to 1864, this work is due to the sculptor J. - B. Klagmann. It comprises two basins superimposed, separated by three statues symbolizing the Seine, the Marne and Yonne.
Town hall: street Paul Doumer. Out of stone and brick. The site was occupied by the hotel of the Taxable quota, inhabited by the bénédictines of Trainel of 1629 with 1652. Construction of the town hall of 1847 with 1848.
Monument in Gabriel Leroy: gardens of the town hall. Stone sculpture of Emile Gaulard in homage to a historian. The bust bronzes some which decorated it since its construction in 1909 was molten by German in 1943.
Savings bank: street of the Mirror. Out of stone. Built in 1889 by the architects Haran and Prony, with the site of the old hotel of the red hat.
- Old sub-prefecture: place door of Paris. Out of brick. Built towards 1890, this building is initially the property of the brewer Barthel, founder in 1850 of what will be the Gruber brewery. The Mutual Insurance company of Seine-et-Marne repurchases it in 1903, then installs its offices there. It will be used then of sub-prefecture and departmental management of agriculture.
Legrand Printing works & wire: street Bancel. This printing works is sold the years 1890 per E. Drosne to Emile Legrand, printer and editor. Its two sons, then his/her little girl, take again the business. Today demolished.
- Old convent of Recollets: the récollets obtain the right to be established on grounds given by the marquis de Rostaing. Construction begins in 1616. These monks beggars importune people, which trains the archbishop of Direction to limit their number to 8 in 1660. The lightning causes a fire which destroys the convent in 1760. The church is blessed in 1763. The buildings accommodate the patients of the hospitals Saint-Jacob and Saint Nicolas's Day. The convent is transformed into old people's home, then in mixed hospital until in 1940, date from which only its function of old people's home perdure. In 1980, it is closed for safety reason.
Laundrette of the Saint-Liesne fountain: street of the Saint-Liesne fountain. Out of stone and cement. The Saint-Liesne fountain poured a water considered miraculous, which was worth to him to be a place of pilgrimage until the XVIIIeme century. Charles de Rostaing grants the possession of it to the monastery of Recollets.
St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre district
- Holy Bell-tower Barthelemy: place the Holy Father. Out of stone. High of 35 meters. The church Saint Barthelemy is founded during the reign of Robert II the Piles. It is destroyed by English and the Burgundian ones during the Guerre One hundred Year old. It is burnt in 1590 by the Members of a league besieged by Henri IV, in order to delay the progression of the troops of the king. The church is rebuilt in 1598, the bell-tower is in 1737. In 1755, Cassini makes use of it like point of reference to establish a chart of France. The church is demolished in 1809. The bell-tower is the last vestige.
Cross of the Be worth-Logs: avenue of the 31e regiment of infantry and avenue of the Patton General. Out of stone and iron. The relics of Liesne Saint were hidden by the monks of the abbey of the Holy Father during the invasions Normans, in IXeme century. In 1322, the leprous ones would have noticed a strong light which had shone for several nights. By digging the ground, the Benedictines would have discovered several mountings, of which some contained the remainders of Aspais Saint and Liesne Saint. This account is purely legendary. The cross would have been installed on the place of the discovery. Shot down in 1793, it is restored by the faithful ones under the Restoration.
- Quoted administrative: Chamblain boulevard. Out of concrete. Built 1961 with 1965. This city shelters the services of the department, too with narrow in the old prefecture. The bar is built in first. The tower was then built.
Station: place Galliéni. Out of stone and concrete. This building dates from the middle of the XIXeme century. It was increased and modernized since.
Statue of Jeanne d' Arc: place Chapu. Out of marble. Copy work of Henri Chapu entitled Jeanne d' Arc listening to her voices, appeared with the Living room of the French artists in 1870. This copy is inaugurated the May 11th 1930.
In the other districts
College Jacques Amyot: street of the de Gaulle general. Out of stone and brick. The site was occupied before by the convent of the Capuchins, founded in 1606 with the authorization of Henri IV. Sold to a private individual in 1791. The current building is built in 1885, and accommodates a college.
Administrative court: street of the de Gaulle General. Out of stone and brick. In the beginning, it is about a convent founded in 1406, then, burned in 1420, he is rebuilt under François Ier. The convent is again set fire to by the Members of a league during the seat of the city by their enemy, Henri IV. The convent is rebuilt during the reign of Louis XIII. A new vault is built in 1735. The convent becomes quite national under the Revolution, then the law courts settle in 1816 there. The convent is transformed into 1876, the church is transformed into municipal theater. It shelters the administrative court since 1999.
Bridge of the Three-Mills: this bridge, located on Almont, was painted by Paul Cézanne under the Pont title of Maincy.
Firm of Montaigu: out of stone. The field currently exploited date of the XVIIeme century. The enclosing wall is of this time.
Great unit of the districts north of Melun, realized by Louis Arretche, of 1955 to 1965, including/understanding the Schuman districts, Mézereaux and Montaigu.
ZUP of the district of Almont: built of 1962 to 1976, by the town-planner Leon Bazin, including/understanding bars and turns, of type Great unit, as well as public equipment (schools, college, shopping mall, etc), with a total of 3129 residences.
the small Vault St Frapin was restored gracefully by Edouard Bornier of 1972 to 1978 following a collapse of the vault St Erwan.
- Jacques Amyot was born there. A college and a college bear its name.
- Abdallah d' Asbonne, Mameluke, lived there and died there.
- Louis-Antoine Beaunier was born there. It was a Engineer French, creator of the first railway line Frenchwoman.
- Laure Manaudou Olympic champion 2004, was involved during several years with the public swimming pool. One of the basins bears its name.
- Chimène Badi, French singer, was born in Melun in 1982.
- Anna Gavalda, novelist and short story writer French, has elected residence there for several years.
- Willy Denzey, singer of French Rnb, was born in Melun in 1982
- Philippe Lucas, former swimmer and trainer of Laure Manaudou until the month of August 2007.
- Claude Makélélé, it played in the team of the FC Melun.
- Lilian Thuram, it played in the team of the FC Melun.
TeachingThe common one counts 16 nursery schools, 15 elementary schools, 6 colleges including two private, 4 colleges including 1 deprived, an institute of right and economy, and finally four antennas university.
SportsThe city has important sporting infrastructures. The sports complex, located in the Holy district Ambroise, includes/understands a swimming pool, the municipal stage, and the buildings of the nautical circle. There are also two other stages, P. Fisher and R. Schuman. Seven gymnasia are distributed through the city. Many sports are practiced: football, Rugby, tennis, volley ball, basketball, swimming, veil, and even water tournaments. Two large player left the football team of Melun (Lilian Thuram and Claude Makelele). The Sporting union of Melun manages the sports activities of the commune. This association is created the July 5th 1921. Certain activities were practiced for a long time: Melunaise de Gymnastique goes back to 1885, Rugby Sporting Université Melunais Club is founded in 1890. In 2004 the USM counted 4489 members. The Circle of the Swimmers of Melun Val-de-Seine has a time been used as sporting window with the commune. The trainer Philippe Lucas obtained excellent results there, with in particular the swimmers and swimmers Julia Reggiany (selected with the Olympic Games of 1992), Nadege Cliton (selected with the Olympic Games of 1996), David Abrard (selected with the Olympic Games of 1996), Laure Manaudou, following his results with the Olympic Games of 2004, Esther Baron, champion of Europe of the 200 meters back 2006 and Sarah Bey (selected with the Championnats of Europe 2006). Following a disagreement between Lucas and the community of agglomeration about management laxist of finances of the club, the trainer leaves for the club Canet with its swimmers. Another important club, that of Melun Valley of the Seine Rochette volley ball, which evolves/moves as a Pro F, the highest division of French female volley ball. The club, exclusively female, is originating in the commune bordering on Rochette, but profits from the support of Melun and its community of agglomeration. It obtained two championships of France of Main road 1B (the 2nd division) in 1996 and 1998. It currently evolves/moves as a Pro F (the 1st division). At the time of the season 2005-2006 it finishes second of the regular season, but fails in semi-final of the final stage. Another team evolves/moves in Main road 3 female. The Circle of fencing Melun Valley of the Seine, created by Ernest Returned within the framework of the School of the Officers of the National police , has a beautiful prize list: 15 Olympic medals including 3 out of gold, 30 medals with the championships of the world, including 10 out of gold, 5 championship victories of Europe of the clubs champions and 4 finales lost in this continental test, 16 championships of France by team and 12 individual championships of France. It counts 113 bachelors. Tennis Club of Melun counts 465 members. The Nautical Circle of Melun (oar) founded in 1912, account 341 bachelors, and obtained, the 3rd place of the championship of France of the finale has of Four of point without cox senior man, the 5th place of the championship of France of Four of point without cox senior man. With general classification French 2006, it is 38e on 248 clubs. In 2007 Jean David Bernard becomes vice world champion into 4 of couple man has Munich with for objective a qualification for the OJ of Beijing and a Medal. The Rugby Melun Combs Savigny 77, club of Rugby to XV of the city, evolves/moves into Federal 3. Cash 408 members, it manages schools of Rugby in Melun and in close cities: Combs-the-City and Savigny-the-Temple.
Places of worshipsThe city has four churches or is practiced the catholic worship: Immaculate Conception, Holy Aspais, Holy François and collegial Notre Dame. The Protestants take place two of worship at their disposal: the center evangelic the Rock, and the evangelic church of Pentecost Parliament of God. There is also a synagog, as well as the mosque El Nourdine.
|Random links:||Pagny-on-Meuse | Dodge WC-59 | Arsinoé IV | Bibliomancie | Ryō Kawasaki | Hannibal|